“You Don't Just Visit, You Live It!” 5 of 5 stars

Guana Island
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   P.O. Box 32, Guana Island   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Guana Island
New York
“You Don't Just Visit, You Live It!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I'm not sure what I expected when I booked Guana Island Resort. The photographs were wonderful, but some of the text caused concern;. "Rustic" "Communal Meals" "All-Inclusive Meals". What I have to report is that there is absolutely no other resort (I hate using the word resort, because this was an experience.
Pros:
-Every request; done, every wish done, Hanna, Megan, Andrea and the lovely wait staff and even the mechanics and engineers were wonderful.My companion and I were speaking to the bartender at the beach bar and casually mentioned that we like chocolate before bedtime. That night fresh baked cookies were in our room. One night we missed the conch fritters at happy hour and we mentioned how much we liked conch fritters. Conch fritters were on the lunch menu the next day. The place is magical.
The food is very good and the variety was incredible. The best thing were the freshly grown organic vegetable from the island. Cooked to perfection. EVERY TIME.
Cons: NONE. For me that is. However ,you do need to do your research. This place is so super quiet and laid back that some may not like it. But if you want to really re-charge your batteries for a few days. This is the only place to go.

Room Tip: GET A VILLA! Get a Villa. Get a Villa
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have been all over the Caribbean for 20 years. You can find so many different experiences. If I had to pick five descriptors they would be -- caribbean traditional, communal, fabulous, expensive, and interesting. This was our first visit and we absolutely loved it. There were not very many people there during our visit but all were very interesting. You can take your meals privately or as a group. We tended to do breakfast and lunch as a couple, and then join the group for cocktails and dinner. They have a new chef who makes fabulous food. My wife had hurt herself before our trip and needed some help recovering. The massage therapist was excellent. Our room, on top of a crest, was right out of a travel magazine.

We loved going to Guana. You need to enjoy quiet, private and communal. It is a 10 on this scale.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Spent a week with my wife and we'll be back for sure. If you want a quiet place, decent food and incredibly friendly staff, not to mention a fantastic beach, this is your place. The new year's party was a riot, pork bbq, bonfire and a band in the beach all night long. And we got to make some wonderful new friends. Yes, the furniture can be upgraded and phones dont work half of the time but who cares.

• Stayed January 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We recently had the priviledge of spending a few days on the beautiful, tranquil Guana Island. This was an amazing experience with with every aspect of our stay being to a very high standard - accommodation, location, service, dining. The apartment we stayed in was outstanding and extremely well appointed, with a private pool & hot tub and amazing views over the bay and the other islands beyond. The principal contact during our stay was Andrea, who could not have been kinder or more helpfu, but we found all the staff extremely courteous and efficient.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

My wife, daughter and I just came back from a week on Guana island. It was a truly amazing and beautiful experience. It starts with the island itself: untouched nature, perfect beaches, blue water. The wildlife is really exciting: iguanas, crabs, pelicans and way more. The trails around the island are the best way to enjoy the nature. Our room was great: very nicely decorated, AC, comfortable beds and the best of all: our own pool in front of the door with an amazing view of the island and the beach. We even all jumped in the pool before breakfast, the perfect way to start the day! The food was top notch, everything really well cooked and so fresh! The staff is very helpful, friendly and fully dedicated to making feel just at home. The only problem: you'll never want to leave:-)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

If you are a nature lover, want some peace and quite, don't like large crowds but want exceptional service and 5 star meals, this is the place for you!

We just got back from a week long trip Oct 13-20, 2012. This is definitely off season, but that was perfect for us. We were one of 3 couples at the resort during our stay, but there were also about 16 scientists on-island doing research. Their meal time was separate from paying guests and we only occasionally saw them - but when we did, we would bombard them with questions about the nature we were seeing around the island and they were all more than willing to share their knowledge. We did not see the other guests much either, except during the nightly pre-dinner cocktail hour, so it was kind of like having our own private island most of the week.

We can not say enough good things about the staff, the service, the food and the island itself. The service staff were all very attentive and would go out of their way to make our experience the best it could be (i.e. Mano, when driving us on the golf cart back up to our room from the beach, taking us on side trips to hunt down a giant iguana to ensure that we saw one during out stay). The office staff (Hannah, Andrea and Meghan) went above and beyond time and time again to make sure we were well taken care of (i.e. they were the ones that called us to let us know that our Cape Air flight had been cancelled (not the airline itself) and helped us make other arrangements to get there). The food is superb, 5 star for sure. Breakfast is part continental with a daily special (eggs Benedict was fantastic), but you could also order off a limited menu as well. Lunch was buffet style and always delicious. Dinner was a 4 course meal with a choice of two entrees (fish + a meat option). Even my husband who is a picky eater enjoyed the food!

We did the Garden of Eden dinner one night (private dinner out on a covered balcony in a garden). It was very romantic and the serenade by the frogs was the perfect background "music".

Our room was awesome and the lightening shows, stars and sunsets were incredible from our balcony and rooftop terrace.There was no a/c, but did not really need it since the breezes were always flowing and the ceiling fan was very strong as well. We did tour the North Beach house as well, and it you want to be totally alone, this would be the place for you. However, we had no one around us either and even if we did, could not see anyone else's balconies or rooms, so I doubt you would see anyone anyway.

There is no pool at the facility, unless you get a room with one. The main beach is huge with lots of great snorkeling. They also have sail boats and kayaks you can take out. There is a tennis court with some equipment you can use. We did an orchard tour as well, which was neat to see and learn about all the food that is grown on the island, and got a taste test of coconuts and sugar cane as well. There are numerous hiking trails and they give you a guide book when you arrive of the trails, along with difficulty levels. Highly recommend you bring water bottles with you to the island, and get a walking stick and cell phone from the office before hiking.

If you are looking for a party scene with lots of crowds or don't enjoy the outdoors, this is not the place for you. But if you are looking for a romantic retreat, enjoy mother nature, natural beauty, being outdoors and going on some incredible hikes with awesome scenery, this place is for you. Would highly recommend this place for honeymooners or (like us) couples celebrating a special anniversary.

Room Tip: Upper Grenada is awesome!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New Rochelle, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I was very hesitant about going to Guana. I must have asked Jason 20 questions! He patiently answered every one! When we landed in the Beef Islands our luggage did not arrive with us. We did not pack a carry-on and had no extra clothes. We were in the same clothes since 5 a.m. After a smooth boat ride from the Beef Islands we were greeted by a welcoming committee with cold lavender towels and given a cold drink. Hannah saw how upset I was that I didn't have a change of clothes or a bathing suit. She offered to lend me hers!! The only problem is that I am 5' short and Hannah is around 5'8". How is that for service! The next day she made sure she contacted the right people and located our luggage.

Our first night(without a change of clothes) was wonderful. A little table for 2 overlooking the bay. The food was great and very well presented. Wine was very good quality.Service was excellent. Although there are no formal activities after dinner, the natural beauty of Guana provides a spectacular show. I spent almost 1 hour star-gazing. The bed was super comfortable and I had a great night sleep. All meals were yummy, fresh and heathy.

The beach was perfect. I spent the whole day under a tree and in the water and still did not want to leave. Andrea was very knew I wanted a salad for lunch and drove up and got me one. She constantly provided clean towels and great service. Although there are many water toys, we did not get to use anything but snorkels because the waves were too rough.

The next day a hurricane passed over Guana. We couldn't go to the beach so we went to the orchard. The gardner( I think his name was Liu) gave us sugar cane and coconut water and spent 1 hour talking to us--great experience.

Guana is not for everyone. It is not a luxury hotel with many swim-up bars. It is a very special place where you can enjoy the beauty of nature and some good company.

I know one day we will return to Guana. Hopefully before we are too old ( Not for people with mobility problems- vey hilly). And hopefully not during another hurricane!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Guana Island? Share your experiences!