“Excellent!” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Horseback Riding Stables, Ranch & Farm
Great Torrington, United Kingdom
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

So, I started visiting Cholwell in August 2012, and have been out pretty much every weekend ever since. All the staff are lovely - they're knowledgeable, helpful, and always ready to give out encouragement where necessary. Nothing is too much trouble, and even getting on your horse is an opportunity to impart some welcome advice and reassurance.

If you are a complete begninner, they even have appropriate clothing to lend you, above and beyond the 'regulation' hard hat, even waterproofs!

The horses are equally as good. Depending on your ability, they will carry you with no fuss, or if you are skilled and firm enough, will listen to you, their rider, and do as you ask. They also have horses and ponies to suit all abilities, so if you're a genuinely competent rider, you can be assured of a responsive mount.

And of course you ride straight out on to the moor - what could be better? Dartmoor is always beautiful, even when it's pouring with rain, as has been the case for so much of 2012. Still, there has always been somewhere sheltered to ride, somewhere dry enough to canter if you want to go a bit faster.

Whatever your resaon for visiting, your ability or experience, you are assured of a really positive experience. I really can't praise the place enough! I'm looking forward to many, many more rides in 2013.

Visited August 2012

London
15 attraction reviews
“Beautiful views of the moors”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My mother-in-law booked us in over Christmas for our Christmas activity and we all thought it would be awful due to the horrendous rain we've had but it cleared up for the time that we were there and so we were able to go out for an hour. The staff are very friendly and will match you up to a horse for your abilities and everyone was happy enough with their horse, although it did seem to take forever to load up and get going. The guide, Donna, was very good at making everyone feel comfortable and they do encourage you to try the next level and push you along so if you want to push yourself to progress then this will help you out. This is only my second time out riding and I was paired up with zippy so I was lead by the guide the whole way, which I found a bit limiting/frustrating and I would have preferred a gentle horse that I could have walked by myself. The views across the moors are stunning and were very dramatic while we were there, despite the heavy clouds we could see as far as Bodmin moor! I would come back for the views.

Broadstairs, United Kingdom
“A Perfect Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I visited here in November 2012 as a surprise with my Brother and Sis-in-law - I haven't been horse riding for nearly 20 years so was feeling very nervous but all the staff put me at ease. I felt confident that Donna knew what she was doing - having asked me a few questions she knew my ability and which horse to pair me up with. We went up on to Dartmoor in a small group spliting into to two groups to do trotting with the more experienced ones going off to canter. I felt encouraged at all times and look forward to taking my daughter (5) next time we are down in Devon. This is a very relaxed family run stables and I would recommend anyone (experienced or not) to have a go.

Visited November 2012
cornwall
“The best riding experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

What a wonderful way to experience Dartmoor and a great ride.
Clear blue skies, the moors and willing horses - what could provide a more wonderful day.

Thank you Donna and the Cholwell horses.

Visited June 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Newbie with a sense of achievement!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

How wonderful to have a new experience at the age of 48! I'd never so much as sat on a horse before but the staff at Cholwell Farm Stables instilled such confidence that I soon stopped trembling and squealing and enjoyed my ride immeasurably. The first obstacle was getting onto the horse (an obstacle I hadn't anticipated!) but a steady hand and confident air on the part of the staff helped me to cross that bridge. Once on the horse, Jester, I still felt extremely wobbly and began to doubt whether riding was for me but, again, I was reassured by the experienced and very patient staff. I quickly gained a small amount of confidence and we headed off for our one hour ride. The stables are on the edge of the moor itself and soon Sarah, our guide, was leading us across fairly even terrain and answering every question that popped into our heads about horse-riding, Dartmoor and all manner of other local topics. What a joy! After only a few minutes, I was able to loosen the death-grip I had on Jester's saddle and relax a little. I could finally move my head and look around me at the panoramic views of the moor. After a well-judged period of time, Sarah suggested we try trotting if we were confident enough. By this time, my mind-set was that of "in for a penny" and so we trotted. I wasn't able to get the leg action right but it didn't really matter as I found the whole thing hilarious and was game to try it again and again in the hope of getting the knack. (I did, as it happens, but only briefly.) We can't wait to go back and will be doing so before our holiday ends in a few days. It was a day which made a memory and those days, when they come along, are always special.

Visited August 2012