“Perfect Location & Perfect Hosts” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ferme du mouchel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Formigny
Ferme du mouchel
You added Ferme du mouchel to your Saves list
Le Mouchel, 14710 Formigny, France   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Formigny B&B and Inns
Texas
“Perfect Location & Perfect Hosts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

We've stayed at La Ferme du Mouchel more than a half dozen times since 2003 & have never been disappointed. So much so that we have recommended it to friends who've also become regular guests. We had stayed at many others before finding this one so we have a frame of reference. The location is perfect, easy to find & close to all major sites - cemeteries, beaches, historical sites, museums, etc. The property is maintained meticulously, making the exterior as comfortable and charming as the interior. We've come back late in the evening from dinner many a time and sat outside under the stars with a bottle of wine enjoying the tranquility.

The rooms are cozy & comfortable - 2 of the rooms upstairs in the main building are even quite roomy. Bathrooms are modern & we've never run out of hot water even when we had 3 adults in the largest room. The bedrooms have recently been updated in their decor. I didn't think they could be improved upon, but I was wrong. They're even more lovely.

Breakfast is wonderful - yoghurt, fruit, cheese, baguette, croissants, jam, butter, coffee & tea, and the tables are set beautifully. In some chambre d'hotes, we've had stale baguette & coffee offered with a curt attitude, standing over us as though they couldn't wait for us to leave. The owner stays around to meet your every need without hovering, even when we've lingered while conversing with other guests.

All of this is great, but what really makes this place special is the warmth & hospitality of the owner. She makes you feel like family. To illustrate her personality, I'll relate an incident that happened in 2009. I booked by phone - in my limited French - 2 rooms for us & my brother and his wife. Friends from Brussels decided to join us, so he called to book another room. We've traveled with this couple before & I sometimes ask him to call & confirm my reservation after the fact to make sure I didn't screw it up. When we arrived, she had only 2 rooms reserved, thinking the other couple I was booking for were our friends from Brussels as it had been in the past. All other rooms were taken. She quickly found a room at a nearby B&B, paid the difference for 3 nights, & had them join us for breakfast every morning - making the best of a difficult situation. Not many others would have done that; it would have simply been our mistake due to the language barrier.

They are now on Facebook & can be contacted by email, making the language difference moot. There are many nice B&Bs in Normandie, but what sets this one apart is the lengths the owners go to for their guests.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)

Been to Ferme du mouchel? Share your experiences!