“Pleasant Atmosphere - A bit upmarket, not "pub food".” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
London, United Kingdom
“Pleasant Atmosphere - A bit upmarket, not "pub food".”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I've been here a couple of times lately. It has a cosy interior, and pleasantly informal staff.

I'm unashamedly price-conscious, and don't have expensive tastes - fancy fish and chips for £15 is wasted on me and seems the same as what I get for £5 at many other pubs, however what I can say is that the much more elaborate dishes here, such as the lamb shoulder, were very nicely done and went down a treat with my middle-aged parents.

It seemed quite high quality. I enjoyed the "gourmet burger" but found it nonetheless unspectacular (not poor) value for what it really was. I feel a couple more cheaper, more ordinary pub-fare options would help here, beside the fancier menu items.

I think the decor and atmosphere are definitely an enormous strength here, and I think those with slightly more upmarket tastes may find it great value too, but this review won't help anyone with a gourmet palate. Me, I would definely take a "date" here for a relaxed, comfortable but laid back evening with quite fancy food if they're the type to go for that sort of thing. There are some really nice places to sit too, which you can reserve, i.e. in the wing overlooking the car-park (it's a nice car-park!!!) and so forth.

There's a choice of fancy desserts too, but again, I would never pay that much for what is essentially baked cream (creme brulee) etc.

Also a nice place to play spot the misprint, and the staff are pleasant, unless you vote UKIP in which case you're out of luck, this place has beautiful European ladies being friendly and personable, tanning easily and speaking our language while we wouldn't even recognise theirs. Damn their cheek!!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Underwhelming”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

The pub is in a great location, nice decor and a good selection of beer. However, I had the chicken hock and leek pie which was ok but the cabbage was over salted and the mash was Cadbury smashesque. The service was average and the staff were awful.... Will not be going there again ever!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Definitely room for improvement”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

Where to start, booked table for nine, four of which were vegetarian, choice of food for veggies was very poor, the roast potatoes were cooked in beef dripping so weren't able to have the roast less the meat, my daughter ordered the one vegetarian choice to be told there was none left, she ended up having egg & chips, I ordered the haddock & chips, no garnish, no peas of any kind & half the chips were the tiny little bits that had been in the pan for three or four fryings, so were dripping with fat & inedible, my partner & I had a cheeseboard to share for £10:00 , there was eight biscuits & four small pieces of cheese, my mother-in-law ordered the roast pork, had to ask fora Yorkshire pudding ( should have been asked ) whilst the staff who served us were pleasant & did their best, our waitress was complaining of the lack of staff, all of this from a pub

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Why have I never eaten here before?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Back in the day The Old Windmill was a Sunday night hangout to see and be seen. I don't think I've been there since and this was my first time to eat. Lovely country pub decor, great garden for the kids and truly delicious food. Scallops with a cauliflower puree and onion bhaji to start, King prawn and chorizo linguini and the pan fried sea bass with mussels, clams and samphire and saffron potatoes. Absolutely top class food. We will return soon!

Visited May 2014
“Nice food but service could be improved”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Had Sunday lunch here. Pub was very pleasant inside and food delicious but barman particularly awkward and rather rude. Service was quick though and plenty of tables in their pleasant garden. Children loved playing on the tractor and on the swings.