“An excellent view site for canopy birds” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Bridges, Lookouts, Tours
Activities: Viewing wildlife
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The Iwokrama Canopy Walkway is a series of suspension bridges and decks of up to 30 metres in height and 154 metres in length, located in the Iwokrama Forest. It gives visitors a new view of the mid and upper canopy of the forest and allows wildlife to be relatively free from human intrusion.At the base of the canopy walkway is Atta Rainforest Lodge, resting amidst towering trees and grassy lawns. The lodge provides comfortable accommodation with 10 private rooms, three home-cooked meals per day, and ample opportunities to explore the surrounding rainforest by foot, canoe, or 4X4.
Muncie, Indiana
19 attraction reviews
“An excellent view site for canopy birds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

As with most canopy walkways the sweet bees are a bother, but of the two days we were on the walkway they bothered us only one day. There are three towers, but only one gives really good views. You can not really view from the walkways. They are two unstable.

Visited October 2012

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Walking on Sunshine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

This was a fun experience! At times I felt as if the bridge was about to collapse with me but that is the design of the engineering for the bridge to give way under the weight and not to stay rigid. It was an awesome experience that felt scary and fun at the same time.

Visited July 2012
Des Moines, Iowa
38 attraction reviews
“Great views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

My friend and I visited here while we were staying at the Rainforest Lodge -- it was excellent. The walkway is situated at a high-enough height that we were able to see many birds.

Visited April 2012
Seattle
29 attraction reviews
“A Great Walk In The Forest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

Give it a plus. Nothing more than an experience but one that suggests how vital our Forests are. This is the only canopy experience in Guyana I believe so make it count. Put it on your itinerary.

Visited February 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Jungle Immersion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

On the trail to Lethem. Serviced by the IntraServ bus, but on the day I was travelling that bus was not scheduled. I had arranged one of the frequent minibuses from Georgetown to stop at the Iwokarama River Lodge and drop me at the driveway to the Atta Lodge, and this prearrangement worked just as it was supposed to do.

The staff was not expecting me and had left for Lethem. Only a caretaker was left to look after me. This he did very well. Not much food, but he did what he could with the supplies on hand.

I arrived late morning, too late for the best morning experience of the canopy walk. I contented myself with a walk on the trails from the lodge site. Not many birds, but a few, some very vocal but just out of sight. Many, many butterflies of differing varieties including a cluster of Sulphur Yellows that spent the midday chasing one another through the forest clearing that the lodge occupies. Howler monkeys on the trail down to the Lethem Road, again heard but not seen. I awoke after my night stay to find a small flock of Curassows grazing contentedly on the grounds of the lodge and other birds on the edge of the forest clearing.

The lodge facilities are what one would expect at a forest lodge. The rooms are plain and sparely furnished. The shower and bathroom facilities are communal, which was not a problem on the occasion of my visit as I was the only guest. There is internet connection at the main building as well as a pleasant seating area with a bottomless glass of fruit punch.

The canopy walkway is a walk of about fifteen minutes from the lodge on a fairly rough trail. There are several lookout areas connected by catwalks high above the forest floor, in amongst the canopy branches. The sunset and sunrise visits are both memorable experiences. I saw few birds on both my times to the walkway - perhaps a consequence of the time of year of my visit, but a few, notably a hummingbird visiting a tree in flower. Again, butterflies everywhere, particularly interesting to look down on them thirty feet below where you are standing. An extraordinarily peaceful sensation just simply standing there, watching the canopy unfold in front of you.

A peak experience of my visit to Guyana. One I hope to repeat.

Visited December 2011