“It began well . . . .” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Ludgvan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: I believe the owners of this pub have been there a year and renovated it quite significantly. The food was of an extremely high standard.
Penzance, United Kingdom
“It began well . . . .”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

White Hart
Our lunchtime visit to Ludgvan's White Hart began well, but ended in disappointment. When we arrived the barman/waiter was friendly and attentive, and took the order for our party of four, but then disappointment began to set in. We were the only customers, and saw nobody else apart from the Caterfood man making a delivery.
Two of us ordered steaks (only rump was on the menu) which were considerably smaller than we're accustomed to; one was over-done (to paraphrase Rick Stein, cooking a piece of meat isn't rocket science), and at £15 each, over-priced. One member of the party wanted only ham sandwiches, and neither ordered nor wanted the chips and salad which arrived with them. Perhaps they were there in an attempt to justify the £9 price!
At a little before 2.30 (the sign outside proclaimed that food was being served until 2.30) we tried to place an order for desserts but were told by the barman/waiter that the chef had gone home. We thought of asking him why on earth he hadn't thought of mentioning this while we were taking our time studying the desserts menu, but then thought “what's the point”?
Will we return? No.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Great food in a cosy environment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

I visited this pub thanks to a recommendation from the owners of the Old Primary School Cottage. I waited until my last evening down in Ludgvan to visit as I had been rather busy the previous day. It was definitely worth the wait! Upon entering and making my way to the bar I was greeted kindly and given time to choose my food and drink (I can be very picky). I decided on the Chicken and Chorizo with sautéed potatoes and roasted veg. I also chose a bottle of Green Goblin Cider to wash it all down. One very important element of any eating experience for me is the cutlery, which was sparklingly clean and well presented. My main dish then came out and it was amazing! I didn't dare touch it with any salt, pepper or sauces because the flavours from each ingredient perfectly complemented each other. With no provocation I decided that I had to try a dessert and I am so glad that I did. I had the Banoffee Pavlova, which was of course a mix of banana slices, toffee sauce, meringue and whipped cream. It was sublime! I will definitely stray off the main road when next on my way to Penzance, just so that I can try something else off the daily menus.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Penzance, United Kingdom
“Nice pub oozing character”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Been to this pub for 30 years and it's still as good as ever. I do miss not having the wooden kegs in the bar for the real ale touch but I'll keep returning. My family have been to this pub for 100 plus years - good to see it thriving when others close.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Very pretty pub and excellent food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

This pub is chocolate box pretty both inside and out! A large gravel area to the front where you can park and also a few outside tables for summer evenings and a small garden to the rear with more tables. Inside there are two room - the main bar area and then a seperate dining room with cute little 'snugs' and lovely fireplaces. Very cosy, very pretty and the staff are helpful. Lovely in both summer outside and in the winter snuggled inside. We have had drinks here on a number of occassions and eaten here once and the food was lovely. All freshly cooked and very tasty and of excellent quality. The prices are average to veering on the slightly high side but it is worth it.The only issue with this pub is parking can be tricky when it is busy. Would definitely recommend and is one of the nicest pubs in the Penzance area.

• Visited August 2013
New Hampshire
“Lovely pub, people, food and bev!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Went here with a local friend who was our tour guide during recent visit to Cornwall. The staff was friendly, the locals were welcoming and the food and beverages were very delicious Cornish fare! Interior of the pub full of historic furniture and decorations. You could almost envision being here several hundred years ago. Was a perfect capstone to be in this pub after a day of touring the countryside in that area. Went early eve, as our friend advised it gets pretty busy and for best dinner choices, go early.

• Visited September 2013