“Maldives” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Tehran, Iran
“Maldives”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

This Resort is located under the airline's path, although it is Maldives after all, but be ready to hear an air plane crossing too close above your head every 30 minutes, from 6:00 am until mid night. It may be interesting for kids.the food is very good, The staff was very friendly, and the spa is excellent. Not much of fish inside the water, it was slightly disappointed, so you have to travel a little bit to see some.In total, it is nice, like I said , it is Maldives after all.

Room Tip: This Resort is located under the airline's path, although it is Maldives after all, but be ready...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ranjit P, General Manager at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from Sunny Maldives.

Thank you for your review post your stay with us. While we are happy to read that you found the resort itself, our service, food and spa great, we are distressed to read that you were extremely unhappy with the airplane noise.

The resort's proximity to the capital city is one of the biggest advantage as we have access to fresh supplies on a daily basis. Also guests travelling through 2 or more different time zones can be in the comfort of their villa with their feet in the soft white sand within minutes of landing in Maldives and do not have to wait overnight at a hotel in Male or airport, should their flights arrive post 6 pm which is the case with resorts that have seaplane transfers as they do not fly post sunset.

While the resort has flights flying above the island most of the luxury resorts within 30 mile radius from the airport face similar issue. We have been in constant touch with the aviation ministry in the Maldives and are requesting them to re look at their flight paths in order to completely eliminate this inconvenience. Though other than the flights flying overhead the layout of the island is long and narrow with the rooms spread out in a manner that offers maximum privacy to all guests to enjoy the tranquil surroundings of the resort that is nestled amidst one of the largest lagoons in the Maldives. We do have guests that stay with us for days on end and despite the flights find the experience at the resort unmatchable and the noise from the flights a minor inconvenience.
We also thank you for your feedback on no house reef which you would be happy to know is being addressed. We have aggressively started our coral rejuvenation programme where in we are planting coral trays to attract more marine life into our lagoon. Coral propagation is an important part of the effort to increase the biodiversity of the reefs. We currently have 36 frames and are hoping to increase them to many more as they will also attract several new species including Hawksbill Turtle, juvenile Napoleon Wrasse and Moray Eels.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back at our island paradise for another memorable stay.

Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Taj Exotica is a fantastically managed and manicured property. We stayed 4 nights and were blown away by the service and atmosphere. We spent two nights in a lagoon villa steps away from the island's gorgeous beach then we were upgraded to a lagoon villa with a private plunge pool for our last two nights. The service, food and experience were magical from start to finish. The entire staff was extremely pleasant and went out of their way to accommodate the guests. During our short stay on the property both the General Manager and Executive Chef introduced themselves and went out of their way to make sure our experience was incredible. The overall value of this property was outstanding.

I can confirm what previous reviews highlighted, the air traffic over the property is noticeable but did not detract from our experience at all.

Room Tip: As previously suggested, odd numbered lagoon villas face away from Mali but the city lights are far...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ranjit P, General Manager at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Sunny Maldives.

It gives us great pleasure to read your wonderful review post your recent stay with us. I have shared your feedback with our Executive Chef - Sheroy and the entire team at the resort. They too are very happy to have received the same.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives for another holiday of pampering and relaxing.

Aboyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My wife and I were delighted to have chosen the Taj Exotica Maldives to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. From the moment we were welcomed "to paradise" on the jetty with rose petals and Maldivian drums to the moment we reluctantly departed we were cosseted and pampered beyond compare. We read many of the Tripadvisor reviews before we chose this resort and we can confirm that the food is truly excellent. The Deep End fine dining restaurant is expensive but a fantastic dining experience. We can personally recommend the signature dish lobster ravioli and the Maldivian rock lobster. The soufflé is the best I have tasted since a holiday in Paris 5 years ago. However you could dine for two weeks in the 24 Degrees restaurant and not have the same dish as the choice is so extensive. Our best meals however were the personal preparations of fish I caught on two fishing trips: A Blue fin jack cooked three ways ( Deep fried in a tempura batter, Maldivian fish curry and pan fried in butter). He also prepared a tuna I caught: deep fried, pan grilled and delicious sashimi only 2.5 hours after it came from the lagoon. This is just an example of the kind of personal service that the Taj Exotica offers ( you can read other examples from other customers below). Nothing is too much trouble.

What can we say about the staff that has not already been mentioned? It would be impossible to mention everyone by name and unfair to mention the staff that we came into contact with on a daily basis without mentioning the unknown smiling staff who swept the beaches all day long keeping them clean and groomed, who changed towels and brought us drinks on the beach, who cleaned our rooms and left them so immaculate and well ordered ( my toothbrush, toothpaste and razor have never been so well organised!). My memory for names is also terrible.

What we can say is that we have never met a resort staff who so collectively made us feel "special". From our helpful butler, the front desk staff, the charming and friendly staff at the Equator Bar, 24 Deg and Deep End, the water sports ( sorry about wedging the cat against the jetty it is difficult boat to tack but thanks for getting me off) and Dive Centre ( fishing) team. The Spar is world class and I can't believe I actually did the morning Yoga with my wife and enjoyed it! I read an earlier report about the broken coral in front of the villas. This is a lagoon and broken coral is a natural result of wave damage from the main reef. However look closely and you will see fantastic fishes and crustaceans amongst the broken coral. My wife was afraid to put her face in the water with a mask at the beginning of the week. The staff at the dive centre gently persuaded her to try in the back lagoon in her own depth. She was hooked! Despite a gagging reflex she graduated to the coral "garden" at the pavilion. This is a project sponsored by the Taj resort for growing new "coral gardens". Check out www.reefrecharge.com to see what they are doing. Next step was deep water ( again great encouragement and gentle coaxing) off the island near the resort. Fantastic snorkelling across the reef and my wife was the last one to leave the water. Personal touches like this make a holiday.

What struck us both was the fantastic communication between the staff from the different sections of the resort. A simple chat with our waiter could result with him or her making a reservation for us next day or later at a restaurant, spa or water sport. Teamwork and job satisfaction were paramount. Mr Phillipoise, the GM and his team has clearly created a great working atmosphere and ethos at the Taj Exotica. It seems simple to us but a happy staff equals happy guests and "We" were certainly very happy. It sounds like a cliche but we felt that we had had made new friends with the staff at Taj.

To sum up, on our morning of departure we received a text message from British Airways saying our flight had been delayed by 6 and a half hours. Another 6 and a half hours in Paradise?? Thank you British Airways!

We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Warm and sunny greetings from Maldives.

It gives us great pleasure in reading your superlative review post your stay with us. We are delighted to read that you truly enjoyed the culinary offerings at the resort and that the dive center team could persuade your wife to enjoy the underwater world of Maldives. I have shared your words of praise and encouragement with all the team members at the resort who are touched to have received the same.

We would also like to thank you for promoting the reef recharge project as we are passionate about coral propagation within our lagoon to attract some of the fascinating species of the underwater kingdom.

Once again we all thank you for your review and look forward to welcoming you back at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives for another memorable holiday.

Singapore, Null, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed in Taj Exotica in early May for 5 days. It was a get-away with my sister with the aim of doing nothing. The deluxe villa had a rustic feel but fitted with all amenities required. I was slightly disappointed with the lagoon-- although it was large, there wasn't a huge amount of fish and there were many dead and broken corals.

I have been to many well-rated hotels - boutique or large chain- but Taj Exotica has simply the best service I've ever encountered! The staff are truely friendly and their motto is nothing is too small for a request. Just to quote a few:
1) Requested for a change of flavour of the bathing amenities as I disliked the default ones. The housekeeper brought over 3 different sets to choose from within 5 mins!
2) I was having a very pleasant dinner at the Deep End and over a causal chat with Omer, the junior sous chef, mentioned that I love dum biryani in the Hyderabad style. To my amazement, he made a request to his colleague to prepare dum biryani for my next dinner (at no additional cost)!
3) Went over to Giva Spa to make a reservation for a massage and mentioned that my sister had sunburn. The lovely Japanese receptionist (I'm sorry I forgot your name) immediately gave me a pot of chan dana to apply to soothe the pain. It worked beautifully and the generous amount lasted me several days!
4) After a heavenly session at the Spa, I wanted to get hold of the soft eye cushions used during the massages. This was clearly a product that was not for sale but the staff stuffed 2 cushions for me and had them delivered to the villa.

I cannot thank all the lovely people I met there-- Ruby, Omer and Prakash (to mention a few)--who made this trip truely memorable and outstanding. I will be back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Ranjit P, General Manager at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 31, 2013

Greetings from Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives.

We are glad to have received your wonderful review post your recent stay with us. I have shared your feedback with Ruby, Prakash, Omer, Yuka (the receptionist at the Jiva Grande Spa) and the entire team at the resort and they are very happy to have received your word of praises especially for the service which truly does come from their heart.

We have noted your feedback regarding the dead corals which you would be happy to know are being tended to and removed from the lagoon. We have also aggressively started our coral rejuvenation programme where in we are planting coral trays to attract more marine life into our lagoon. Coral propagation is an important part of the effort to increase the biodiversity of the reefs. We currently have 36 frames and are hoping to increase them to many more as they will also attract several new species including Hawksbill Turtle, juvenile Napoleon Wrasse and Moray Eels.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

This resort has a fantastic property.I stayed in the deluxe villa which is very well designed and the pool is a nice addition.24 degrees restaurant has nice food and we were served according to our needs.The staff is the standout for this property and the service is outstanding.The plantation is very nice in the resort.The only issue was that there are lot of dead corals near the deluxe villa's,the resort should try and improve on this.The airplane noise does bother a little.

Room Tip: deluxe rooms with the pools are very good
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ranjit P, General Manager at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2013

Greetings from Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives.

We would like to thank you for your feedback regarding the dead corals which you would be happy to know are being tended to and removed from the lagoon. We have aggressively started our coral rejuvenation programme where in we are planting coral trays to attract more marine life into our lagoon. Coral propagation is an important part of the effort to increase the biodiversity of the reefs. We currently have 36 frames and are hoping to increase them to many more as they will also attract several new species including Hawksbill Turtle, juvenile Napoleon Wrasse and Moray Eels.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Where to start... we booked the Taj as a break for 7 nights before going on to Sri Lanka and could have happily stayed for longer. We were welcomed at the airport by two really friendly concierge chaps, who took us to a speed boat where we travelled for 20 mins to the Island.

We were then welcomed off the boat by bongo players, someone throwing rose petals, the General Manager, Assistant General Manger, a lady from reservations and our own butler waiting for us in a golf buggy. It wasn't even our honeymoon!

The Island:
It takes about 10/ 15 mins to walk from one end of the island (spa) to the other (restaurant) but there are quiet little golf buggys running the whole time, they always ask if you want a lift, perfect if you're feeling lazy. The island was stunning, it felt like nobody else was there. The beaches were completely clean with beautiful white sand. Each sun lounger on the beach has its own picnic basket was cold water and fresh towels on all beds. All trees, plants, walkways are looked after daily and it shows, everywhere you look is beautiful, it looks like a dream.

Yes it is a beach holiday but we didn't run out of things to do once. There are trips (don't bother with the trip to Male, why leave paradise?) snorkelling, the spa, a swing in the sea, a library, DVDs to hire (great if there is a tropical storm as the rooms have surround sound!).

Restaurants:
My chap and I are both vegetarian so we couldn't eat in 'The Deep'. It didn't matter though as the food was delicious, the menu was massive but everything was top quality. The service is amazing, I think we saw one grumpy looking waiter the whole time we were there. Raj (waiter) was by far the best for service, funny, chilled and just darn lovely.

Oh and the breakfast is epic! We tried to eat something different every morning and didn't manage it. Try all of the smoothies - they're divine!

Accommodation:
Everything was clean, exotic fruit bowl replenished daily, espresso machine in room, fresh orchids in the bathroom, they even treat you to bubble baths with rose petals... amazing. We stayed in a lagoon villa off the island (not a beach suite) The room was perfect, bathroom was huge, with a getty out the back with a ladder that lead into the lagoon. The water is incredibly clear and under the villas are a whole host of beautiful coral and fish - take your breath away stunning.

Service:
Outstanding - about sums it up. We attended the guests drink night, held in a beach villa, (for guests to meet and chat, you don't have to go, but it's nice to meet the staff) We spoke to Ronin (i think was his name) and told him we were off to Sri Lanka, he then introduced us to the bar man (Can't remember his name) who gave us his personal mobile as he was going back for a holiday when we were. He said that if we had any trouble or wanted advise to call him. That about sums up how awesome the service was!

Tips:
- They hire out good quality Snorkel equipment and fins for free that you can keep for the time you're there.
- Snorkel around the island - beautiful colours, stingrays, reef shark, loads of powder-blue surgeon fish.
- Swim/ walk to the lagoon edge. The lagoon (the side of the villas not the beach) at it's highest point was hip height, walk out to the lagoon edge, the reef is amazing.
- Book one of the short trips to the Coral Gardens - simply breath taking.
- The free yoga on the pavilion is a great way to start the day.
- Food is very expensive, book the inclusive deal, where dinner is included, as to pay taxes and service charge on top is really expensive
- Take snacks with you, nuts, crisps, chocolate etc. - with all the snorkelling you'll need it!
- Ladies everywhere is sand - leave heels at home take wedges!

Overall the best holiday we have ever had, we would go back in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: I think the lagoon villas off the island are the best (even through the villas in the sea look ace...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ranjit P, General Manager at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from the Sunny Maldives.

I would like to thank you for your wonderful review of the resort and our services. I have shared your feedback with Raj, Rohit our Spa Manager who you met during cocktails, Nishantha (the bartender from Sri Lanka) and the entire team at the resort who are thrilled to have received the same. I am certain that feedback such as yours will assist us in achieving higher standards of excellence in future.

We all look forward to welcoming you back at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives maybe for a longer holiday.

Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed 3 nights in the deluxe lagoon villa and one night in a lagoon villa. The deluxe villas come with a pool, which might sound silly given you are surrounded by the ocean, but it was actually great to be able to take a dip in the pool now and then. The only downside was that there seemed to be a lot more dead coral around the deluxe villas which made snorkeling around the area annoying.

The resort is only 15 mins away from the airport, which is great as you’re not stuck on a boat or seaplane for an hour after a long flight. Call me crazy but I also like to be close to civilization and I think this resort offers the compromise of being relatively secluded and still within easy reach of the city. As other reviewers said you can always ask for a room facing away from the city (odd numbers), although you wont even notice the city lights unless you decide to sleep outside on the edge of the deck. The flip side is that there are planes flying overhead every few hours, with the last one around 10pm and they are definitely audible. Honestly though you don’t really notice it after the first few, and if you’re at a remote resort you would have to deal with seaplanes anyhow.

The villas were a good size, with a very comfy bed, decent sized TV (and a DVD menu) and epic air conditioning. Got a great chocolate platter, bottle of champagne and fruit platter on arrival but nothing else after that. The bathroom has a tub overlooking the water, double vanities and a very comprehensive range of sweet smelling molton brown toiletries. They seem to replace the towels every time you leave the room. They ran a rose petal bath one night during turndown which was a lovely gesture. There was a nespresso machine with plenty of capsules, teas and plenty of bottled water and beach sandals. The beach was awesome, soft white sand and beautiful cool turquoise water that makes you want to lie in it forever. There are eskies between the beach chairs with complimentary chilled bottled water in them, and waiters walk by handing out sorbets. Its easy to get burnt so bring heaps of sunscreen. The restaurant manager was proactive enough to notice burnt guests and organized for ointment to be sent to the room which was very nice of her. The staff are genuinely friendly and really do seem to love their job. Almost everyone knows your name -probably why they take your photo when you arrive and present it to you as a gift when you leave which is a really nice touch.

There’s a gym in an overwater bungalow with great views of the lagoon. Good selection of cardio machines and a moderate amount of weights. Loved the cool towels and chilled water they have in the fridge. They need to crank up the air conditioning a little though. There’s a shop selling all sorts of souvenirs at eye watering prices and a pool table and library next to reception.

The crowd as one would expect, was mostly couples and a few families. You don’t see a lot of the other guests, apart from mealtimes they all seem to disappear. Had the pool and beach to ourselves most of the time. The small infinity pool borders the beach and is covered by palm trees and very picturesque. They even bring drinks to you while you lie in the pool.

If you get tired of lying around doing nothing there are jetskis etc for hire but the prices are stiff. The non motorized stuff is free but hardly anyone was using it. Most guests seemed to be hiding from the sun which defies the point of going to the Maldives. The spa has a comprehensive range of treatments, again quite pricey but seemed pretty popular so book early if it’s a rainy day.

Wifi (which should be free really) connection is good in the rooms, pool and restaurants but non-existent in the gym. Running multiple devices also meant having to log in constantly. The butler was proactive in trying to fix this which was good.

The only disappointment was the relative lack of fish in the lagoon, perhaps it was due to the season or the time of day, but daytime snorkeling in the lagoon and the beach was disappointing. However at night the fish seemed to flock into the lagoon between the deluxe villas, which you can see thanks to the lights shining into the water.

The food was good (some dishes were great, others average but none were bad), an impressive feat considering the variety of dishes on the menu. Its clear that they are attempting to keep everyone happy and it seems they’ve done a good job. They even made us something from the lunch menu for dinner on request. There’s a themed night almost every night so you won’t get bored with the food. Breakfast was great, no buffet so everything is cooked to order. Alcohol is expensive, although in line with what you would expect to pay at a high end resort - but the cocktails seem to be a little light on the alcohol.

There didn’t seem to be much flexibility on the departure times so you might get stuck at the airport for a couple of hours. The staff at the airport will escort you to check in and all the way to immigration.

A lovely resort, whilst its quite expensive, you do generally get what you pay for.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ranjit P, General Manager at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 16, 2013

Greetings from Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives.

We are glad to have received your wonderful review post your recent stay with us. I have shared your feedback with the entire team at the resort and they too are very happy to have received the same. I am certain that this will assist us in achieving higher standards of excellence in future.

You would also be happy to know that we have aggressively started our coral rejuvenation programme where in we are planting coral trays to attract more marine life into our lagoon. Coral propagation is an important part of the effort to increase the biodiversity of the reefs. We currently have 36 frames and are hoping to increase them to many more as they will also attract several new species including Hawksbill Turtle, juvenile Napoleon Wrasse and Moray Eels.

Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives

Been to Taj Exotica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!