“exceptional service” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Marton
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Intimate small french restaurant owner run with excellent cuisine and very personalised service. Cooking at the table a speciality. perfect venue for small weddings and private parties. Very pretty garden with outside eating area, overlooking oldest wooden timbered church in Europe from 13th Century.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“exceptional service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

my hubby booked us in for our anniversary having read the positive reviews on here.
set in a rural location, it took us around 45 minutes to get there but it was definitely worth the drive out.
The thing that sets this restaurant apart from the competition has to be the service. From the moment we arrived we were treated with such warm hospitality. It was a pleasant evening and so we had pre-drinks in the garden, where we were given the menu to peruse at leisure. Our orders were taken and we were shown to our table.
The dining room was light and airy and tables are traditionally laid out.
The menu is limited however its about quality not quantity! There were also a number of 'special' dishes available which the maître D explained to us prior to ordering
I opted for the goats cheese & beetroot tarte tatin (highly recommended) followed by Dover Sole and the hubby had prawn bisque followed by 28 day aged angus.
Unfortunately, I found the fish to be too greasy and heavy, as rather than being 'drizzled' in a herb butter it was swimming in it. This also made the fish crispy which in my opinion is a sin as Sole is such a delicate fish. I tipped my plate slightly and the butter pooled at one side. The maître D was very apologetic and understanding and the dish was removed from our bill without having to ask.
despite this issue, I would certainly return here, as the service received more than made up for my personal mishap. Overall we both felt this restaurant is worthy of its 5 star rating on trip advisor.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Sandbach, England, United Kingdom
“Hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I was recommended this restaurant at the opening of The Little Potting Shed in Tarporley and a huge thankyou to the lady that gave me the recommendation!!Just superb...wonderful log fire to have pre dinner drinks in front of and in the summer the garden will be equally welcoming.Superb friendly warm service and excellent food.I work in top hotels around the world and this meal was hard to beat...scallops melted in your mouth and my husbands mussels were equally good,Dover sole fell off the bone and my husbands steak was perfectly cooked and one of the best he had had out of South Africa...great South African touch to the food too as the chef has worked their for many years and it showed!Could not resist the pavlova which was a good as my mother in laws!!
We will be back with all our local friends....great find .Thankyou to the owners for a wonderful evening

Congleton

Mains
Moules Mariniere for1
2 Tournedos La Popote medium rare...* sublime *
3 Venison - Brilliant..

Now here comes the main damage - our own fault
3 Martini Cocktails

2 cosmopolitan Cocktail
6 Remy Martin
9 double espresso
1 kahula coffee
The excuse for the excessive drinks was brilliant company and brilliant food

Total £465.30 -ouch

Well worth it - yes!!! but less of the booze next time tbo.

• Visited March 2013
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
“Top class restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Warm welcome, drinks by the log fire before being seated made for an excellent start. The food was exceptional, just what you would expect from a top class restaurant. There were amazing specials which made deciding what to order difficult, and a great wine list. One of our guests has a gluten allergy which was dealt with perfectly. We will definitely be returning and highly recommend.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Intimate bistro-style French cooking at its best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Intimate bistro La Popote has been a favourite of mine for the last couple of years, and its reputation continues to deservedly grow. On the night we dined - a Saturday - the restaurant was extremely busy until 11pm when we left. However - and this is one of the magical aspects of this restaurant, the experience of sipping an aperitif by the log fire, chatting to fellow diners convivially before being seated at the table, sets the evening up as relaxing even at the restaurant's most rushed. Every effort is made by the lovely Maitre d' to make diners feel welcome and at ease.

Our order was taken by the log fire, and - a lovely touch - not long after we were seated, our food arrived. My dining partner had the confit duck as a starter/entree, which was moist and perfectly cooked. the accompanying onion marmelade was the perfect accompaniment.

As the desserts here are fantastic and the mains generously served, I saved myself for mains and dessert.

Our mains were outstanding - my partner had a dish from the specials (there is no board, the maitre d' talks you through the specials on offer) for the evening. Luckily, whilst it isn't on the menu, it has been on offer the last couple of times we visited - a venison in red wine sauce with hints of chocolate, served with beans and a potato rosti. Beautifully presented, delicious and complex, this dish is worth every penny twice over.

My dish came from a previous menu, but when we booked, we asked whether the chef could possibly make it for me - the best peppercorn steak I've ever had in a restaurant (I've had it 4 times now and each time it is as brlliant) . It's testament to the customer focussed service at La Popote is that the chef has always been accomodating enough to make this dish upon request. It comes with delicious, well cooked frites, and I chose the haricot with onions from the side dishes on offer, which were also incredibly tasty. They were slightly softer than I'd usually have beans, but suitable to the type of cooking and cuisine, certainly not over cooked. The Petit Pois a la Francais at La Popote are also very good. On this occasion, my partner had the Potatoes Dauphinoise, which were nicely cooked and seasoned, with a nice balance between potato, cream and gruyere.

Sides are served with an at-table warmer, which is a nice touch.

The diners at the table next to ours had similarly complimentary feedback about the Dover Sole and the French Onion soup they chose.

For dessert, we had the tarte tatin: a French classic, the La Popote version certainly earns its place on the menu - with hints of honey and spice and served with a ball of very creamy, nicely textured vanilla icecream. It's a difficult choice to pass up here. On this evening, I did, however, choosing to try the Chocolate Fondant, served with a raspberry compote and the same vanilla bean icecream, although mine was served in a delicious valhrona chocolate edible cup. The Fondant was firm and gooey in all the right places, the raspberry tart and vivacious, and the whole experience delicious. For those with a sweet tooth - definitely leave room for dessert here.

The wine list is medium in size, with at least 4 whites and reds available by the glass. There are a number of very affordable bottles on the list with some interesting choices from South Africa worth sampling. 9As the owners worked in South Africa for a while, a dessert from that region has also made its way onto the menu, which sounds intriguing.)

The chef came out from the kitchen at the end of service to greet diners, happy to chat about any aspect of our meal, and not above sharing some of the tricks or ingredients which make their great flavours. This in itself was a great treat and really reinforces the intimacy of the experience.

For atmosphere, food that is consistently top class without trickery, with generous servings rather than empty plates decorated with smears (not that there's anything wrong with that in the right context), emphasis on flavour and fantastic service - you can't go past La Popote.

The intimacy and french influenced decor, real fresh flowers at table, subtle jazz or French classics on the stereo, make it a great place for a romantic night. The convivial atmosphere makes it perfect for a celebration or family outing.

The only thing to bear in mind is that it is a small restaurant not as suitable for tables over 10 without some fancy reassembling of the room.

200% recommended.