“Perfect weekend retreat” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Yoxford
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
“Perfect weekend retreat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Have just come back from staying at Satis House and can thoroughly recommend it for a luxurious weekend break. We stayed in the Farmlingham Suite, as we did almost 9 years ago now, and can say that the improvements made by the current owners have transformed not just the room, but the gardens and dining experience as well. The food was superb, both dinner and breakfast, with a great choice of local produce.
I should also add the friendliness and helpfulness of managers and staff alike was second to none and only added to the appeal of Satis House.
I think the only reason I am not able to score our break with the 5 stars I would like to is, as ridiculous as it seems, the plumbing!! Having to wait so long for the shower to work and when it does it barely drips through is not what you would expect from a place that ticks many of the 5 star boxes. However this is an old building and understandably with old plumbing. Just a little frustrating.

390 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Ely
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My Husband booked us in for our Wedding Anniversary for a meal and to stay overnight.

We stayed in the Framlingham Suite, in which was a splendid 4 poster bed which was so comfortable as was the room.

We loved all the special touches in the room, like the fridge which had drinks selection, chocolate and best of all fresh milk for tea / coffee.

The evening meal was delicious, we were spoilt for choice. The menu has obviously been selected to give diners a dilemma trying to decide what to have and is awash with local produce which is a bonus.

There was a pleasant ambiance in the bar and restaurant where the decor was a modern touch in a Georgian building.

The whole visit was so memorable from the greeting by Kevin to the breakfast ( also delicious) we felt really spoilt.

Would we go back....definitely.

Sudbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My partner celebrated a 'significant' birthday last Saturday and I decided to treat him by booking 5 nights at Satis House. The room allocated was the "Southwold" being one of the new garden pods. It was superb - clean, well equiped, air conditioning, fresh milk, etc. However we were relieved to be staying in these garden pods as I think the traffic noise in the main house could be an issue for some. The welcome from Kevin and David was very nice and we soon found that we have a mutal friend... The politeness and efficiency of the staff was lovely to experience having stayed in hotels where staff are quite 'remote' and cold. The breakfast was excellent with fresh local bacon and sausages. The only concern was the poor entrance and exit onto the A12! We look forward to visiting again soon.

Room Tip: Garden rooms are furthest from main road and quieter.
Beccles, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Ever since Kevin and David opened Satis House, we've been visiting for meals to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We had always been very impressed by their old restaurant at the Bear and Bells in Beccles where we live. As this year was our 10th Anniversary my husband decided to surprise me with not only a meal, but a room for the night too. I was delighted!! Upon our arrival the lovely Emma-Louise checked us in and showed us to our room - The Walberswick. This was a stunning room just off the main building fully equipped with all you'd expect from a classy B&B including a beautiful roll top bath and the loveliest toiletries I've ever used!! The meal itself was amazing as always and the breakfast was perfect too. Nothing is too much trouble here and the staff are first class! I can't wait to return.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I have stayed at this hotel before, and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We decided to visit again this weekend, as we had the chance to spend time together. On arrival we had a warm welcome from the staff, shown to our room, which was lovely and clean. It has a well stocked refrigerator, a selection of tea, coffee and fresh milk. The room had a fan too, which was great as it was a very hot weekend. Had our evening meal in the restaurant and the staff were very efficient, and looked after us very well. The next morning we went down to breakfast and has a great selection, and the cooked breakfast is always very good. I am vegetarian, but there is always something on the menu for me. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay and will certainly visit again as I also love the area.

Room Tip: Plenty of parking, and made to feel very welcome.
ipswich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed in this lovely hotel for a weekend break recently and found it to be exceptional on every level. The attention to detail was very good, even down to the tea and coffee selection in your room for the morning. Staff and hosts were warm and friendly. Restaurant was very good with lovely food and a good selection.
I had the best Cosmopolitan's I think I have ever tasted.
Could not recommend highly enough and would love to return as soon as we can get away again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We have recently returned from an overnight stay on the way back from Norfolk. We have no complaint with the room as we found everything in order there. We received a warm welcome and breakfast was excellent. We just found the dinning experience a little underwhelming. The first thing I want to see in a fine dinning room is crisp, white linen tablecloths. The cutlery was placed on the napkins but as soon as you put that on your knee where else can you put the knifes and forks except on the wooden table that might not be perfectly clean. Having sat down I did expect to be given an amusee bouche but not on that occasion. Unfortunately not even bread was on offer, which I found unusual especially as one of us started with soup. The thing that worried me most was the salt & pepper were on the table in little dishes with no spoon to accompany them. How many people had used their fingers to serve themselves.
Now lots of people complain about slow service in restaurants but this one went to the other extreme. 50 minutes after arriving at the bar, we had perused the menu and ordered,had a drink at the bar and finished 2 courses. Perhaps it is a fine line to get the timing just right but on this occasion it all felt a bit rushed.
Lots of other details were spot on, so we will be giving them another go soon and see how we get on second time around.

Room Tip: I think the price structure explains it all but much cheaper during the week.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Satis House Hotel? Share your experiences!