“Professional Dive Operation” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: New Zealand - Bay of Islands only purpose built Dive lodge, meals, gear hire, tank fills including Nitrox & world-class diving all in one beautiful location.Explore the Canterbury Wreck in a sheltered bay, the 113m long Canterbury Wreck rests bolt upright and fully intact. Guided through the wreck with excellent visibility and plenty to see at shallow depths, makes this one of the most accessible wrecks in New Zealand for inexperienced divers. A challenge also awaits for very qualified and experienced diver planning to explore the engine and boiler rooms.Your hosts Shane & Julia instigated the sinking of the former HMNZS Canterbury along with help from friends and family. Our dream became reality on November 3rd 2007.Dive world-class sites Pinnacles, arches, caves, walls, boulders, kelp forests, sponge gardens, abundant schooling fish, vibrantly coloured invertebrates and possible sightings of large pelagic fish. Relax in Northland Dives lodge catering specifically for divers. Our large lounge areas with wood fires in winter are the best place to relax with a drink after your day of diving and before being served up a delicious and plentiful home-cooked meal.
Whitianga, Waikato, New Zealand
“Professional Dive Operation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Have been running dive trips for groups from Dive Zone Whitianga up to Shane & Julias for couple of years now.In this time I have found them to be very helpful & friendly during our stays.
Also very diver orientated & professional couple.
Always look forward to next trip up there!!

Whitianga, New Zealand
“Excellent hosts and a great diving experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Shane & Julia are great hosts and guides offering an amazing diving experience. They run a very professional operation and their calm, friendly and helpful personalities ensure that your visit will be a good one. Being able to dive at the Canterbury as well as the nearby dive sites is an opportunity not to be missed. If you have the time to stay overnight (or for a few days) you won't be disappointed either. The accommodation is comfortable and the food is delicious. I know I will be returning and bringing friends and family with me in the future.

Auckland
“What I love about the place:”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I've enjoyed many a fab trip up at the Cowshed with Julia & Shane.
Having learnt to dive in the UK I love getting out on ribs - my favourite at Northland being 007 - boy can she move and while she's at it she shows you amazing scenery around the Bay of Islands on the way to your dive sites that you just won't see from the 'tours'. I had a friend over from the UK at the beginning of the year and as we were diving mid-week it was just the 2 of us and we felt like VIP's having the boat to ourselves. I'm not big on wrecks but I enjoy the Canterbury alot and if the weather gods allow I love Cathedral Cave (and Danger Rock when Rach & I manage to find it!).
Shane & Julia are both fantastic divers, have tremendous knowledge of the area, are very kind to nature and know their stuff when it comes to the equipment and the technical side of diving (Shane kindly changed my dive computer battery to keep my safe and its one of the few places where nitrox is available at the mo :-)). I know that they were contemplating getting wifi up there for guests - my vote is a nay as I love the fact that a weekend without it encourages folks to share their experiences and photos from their dives - there's usually plenty of cameras.

Julia does a delicious home cooked meal in the evenings. And this time of year the fires are roaring - so cosy. People bring nibbles, pudding etc making it a real home from home. Ear plugs are provided if your in the dorms with a snorer (mentioning no names Susan zzzzzz). For those passionate about their diving its a must do for NZ/Northland.

Visited February 2013
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
7 attraction reviews
“Wonderful Diving experience for all levels of divers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Whether you are an experienced diver with all the latest equipment for diving deeper and longer or a inexperienced new open water certificate holder (as I was when I first visited) Northland Dive is a must do. But be warned once you go there you will want to go back time after time. Shane and Julia provide a warm welcome, well organised and varied diving trips along with comfortable accomodation and great food. Their passion for the environment is infectious and matched by a wealth of knowledge. They are assisted by some great staff, Daryl in particular has been a wonderful support for me and I would recommend him to anyone who may be a little anxious! Having now completed my advanced open water course I can't wait for my next visit to see the jewel anemones spawning.

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
“Amazing diving, great hospitality!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

The diving at the Canterbury and surrounding dive sites is simply stunning and Shane & Julia are amazing guides to this wonderful part of the country.

From a diving perspective, they are very professional operators, knowledgable and passionate, catering to every skill level from novice to experienced tec diver.

However, it is their great hospitality that makes this place special. It is like visting a friend's house from day one and many regulars seem to have become friends.

I can't highly recommend Northland Dive enough, both for the diving and and amazing time away from the hustle and bustle of Auckland.