“Exceptionally good food.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Kilsyth B&B and Inns
Carluke, United Kingdom
“Exceptionally good food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I had the pleasure of visiting The Boathouse on Friday 12 October with a friend for lunch. A first for me, but will definitely be repeating the experience. Not having been here before I had no pre conceived expectations. The location on the canal basin is inspiring with beautiful views of the hills and surrounding countryside. Inside, the restaurant was very well presented and relaxing. The staff were very pleasant and attentive. Our starter of Stornaway black pudding with poached egg and mushrooms was presented beautifully and tasted like an angel had made it. (The best poached egg I have ever seen or tasted, quality of the highest degree) I had Haggis Neeps and Tatties for my main and the waitress did ask me if I wanted a half or full, of course I asked for full, as soon as it arrived I understood why they give the option! Big portions. This was a first class eating experience which I would recommend to everyone. Top marks to The Boathouse.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Having read a lot of these reviews, I was really surprised at the negative content. I have been going to The Boathouse since it opened and I have never had any reason to complain ( friends and family are amazed because I like a moan!) I have found the standards of food and service have been excellent, even on Saturday night when I dined with my wife and her family. There was a child's birthday party just winding down as we were seated and the remainder of the restaurant was extremely busy, but our waitress did a sterling job getting us drinks and taking our food order.
Despite the place "bouncing", the service and food were as good as ever and we will be back soon. I must be really lucky!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Can't really comment on the rooms this visit, but we stayed overnight back in April. We had a ro...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Scottish friends recommended a weekend stay at The Boathouse hotel and restaurant. The room was well appointed. Everything was clean with towels changed each day. There was good strength Wifi. We had booked for a Friday evening meal, which was excellent food well presented, and with a good selection of wines. Pleasant décor in the restaurant. The hotel is set pleasantly on the small marina on the canal side. Kilsyth itself is not so picturesque but is within reasonable distance of some very pleasant places, including the Trossachs National Park. My mate from college days was our excellent local guide. We saw some beautiful sights during the weekend. The Boathouse was a good base, and I wish we'd returned for the Saturday evening meal, rather than the tack Indian in Stirling. If touring in the area I'd certainly return to stay and eat at the Boathouse.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

I eat here on a regular basis but was really disappointed today. Service was really poor. I think when the weather is good and there are lots of people earing outside they just lose track. Waited 45mins for our meal. People who came in after us had a starter and main course before we were served only with a main. The same thing happened last time I sat outside. Poor show folks. The people I was with we're there for the first time and won't be back.

Stayed August 2012
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I first ate here as my family lives in the Kilsyth area and when it had just opened, it was the perfect place to celebrate my Grandad's birthday. The food was well priced but you would have gladly paid more for it. A few weeks ago, my boyfriend and I decided to head down for our Sunday dinner and having booked ahead to make a reservation, I was disappointed to be kept waiting 20 minutes for our table. The waitress who served us (Roisin, I think) made up for the restaurants otherwise substandard service. The food (half portion of fish and chips) was cold and the batter on the fish could only be described as being cold. We chose not to order pudding as we were so disappointed. How could such a fantastic wee place let its standards slip so slow in a few years? Like I said, the waitress was fantastic but the food let it down.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

We hadn't been in for a few years because people had told us the quality of food had declined since the Boathouse had opened. Preferring to try for ourselves, we went out for dinner there (3 couples) on Sunday and found the food was very poor.

The portions were tiny, the food was tasteless and the meal was over-priced.

We will not be returning - there are much better, less pricey places to eat in the area.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

Firstly, the location of this place is second to none..situated on canal, next to basin with breathtaking views of the local hills and countryside. secondly this place is aimed at the "middle class". Aimed at couples and families celebrating the likes of engagements, passing exams, anniversaries and birthdays. somewhere to be seen and to tell your friends you've been there. we went in on a saturday night at 9pm and waited half an hour for a table, which is fair enough. the menu is quite a challenge. and we decided to have a main course each. i had the pasta with chorizo, with a side dish of "chunky chips". I had to ask for parmesan which i thought would be offered as standard for a pasta dish. i had to get rid of a mass of greenery before i could actually eat it. the whole thing was bland and i actually put ketchup on to give it some taste. the chips were cremated and had come straight out of the freezer and were actually in a mug, so that gives an idea how few there were. my partner had cajun chicken with rice and skinny chips, which again were frozen in origin. the chicken was quite nice but the portion was pretty abysmal given the price. we looked at dessert menu, but opted not to order anything, given the price of most items being way overpriced. think the likes of frozen chips and not being offered parmesan with pasta shows a laziness within the restaurant. Our bill was £32 for a main course and beer each. this was way too much for the standard of food, which about pub lunch standard. i certainly wouldn't rush back, as was terrible value. anybody wanting to have a wee trip out of glasgow, should try the Ship Inn in Irvine..better value better food...better everything.

• Stayed May 2012

Been to The Boathouse? Share your experiences!