“Lest us not forget” 4 of 5 stars

Watford, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
“Lest us not forget”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

My son who is doing history for GCSE wanted to visit and so we arrived one hot lunchtime. There were a few other people in the cemetery grounds which are immaculately maintained and read about the evacuation of the Allies from Crete in late Spring 1941. Visiting made the events all the more real for seeing the line after line of gravestones. Well worth the stop and it certainly made me re-evaluate the freedoms we all take for granted every day.

Visited July 2014

• Greek first
Oksboel, Denmark
64 attraction reviews
“Never forget the fallen soldiers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Never forget the fallen soldiers.
The War Cemetery is a beautiful memory-park.
A quiet and peaceful place.

Visited October 2013
“Bring dog food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

A strange title I know. The cemetery is a moving place to visit which is why we came back after 9 years. In 2005 we bought our daughters an ice cream from the caravan just outside the entrance & chatted to the man who ran it about his time living in Australia. On our visit this week we saw him again, though much changed. He has closed his little business as he couldn't afford to keep it open. He was sitting under the tree just outside the gates surrounded by dogs lying in the heat - none of them his. He told me that he feeds them when he has money & when he doesn't, they go hungry. They are some of the many abandoned animals here. I went to the supermarket & bought some dog food (& a packet of biscuits for him). He was incredibly grateful. I suspect he doesn't eat enough either. As we drove away I noticed he'd opened the biscuits straight away.

Visited July 2014
“Fallen soldiers should never be forgotten.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Take time out of your holiday to visit this site and if you have young children explain what happened and I garantee there will be many questions as I found out.

Cheshire
3 attraction reviews
“Well worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

This is a lovely moving place to visit. The location looking out to sea across Souda Bay is truly memorable.

Visited June 2014