“Mariachi moments!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Comala
Selkirk, Manitoba
“Mariachi moments!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2007

We loved staying at Casa Alvarada and were lucky enough to extend our stay once we realized what a treasure we had found.

The town of Comala offers many treats, from the "free" snacks at the restaurants on the lovely central square, to the mariachi groups performing there all afternoon, to the ponche (local liquor)
in restaurants and shops. We especially enjoyed dining at night in a candlelit restaurant next to a stream bordered by lush greenery.

Comala is an excellent home base for visiting Colima and neighbouring villages, and of course for viewing the volcano.
Host Jupiter is pleased to offer guided tours of the area.

Mara and Jupiter are superb hosts , anticipating the needs and interests of their guests and taking the time to chat and make visitors feel at home. Casa Alvarada is a unique B and B with a welcoming, relaxing courtyard and clean, comfortable and aesthetically pleasing accommodation. ( Comfy beds are hard to come by in Mexico, in our experience, but we found one here!)Breakfasts offered a taste of local cuisine and were beautifully presented.

It was wonderful to be able to discuss what we were seeing and experiencing; Mara and Jupiter gave us a context for what was new for us, and enriched our visit with their knowledge and insights. We appreciated the chance for personal contact with these very hospitable local people who value their culture and are proud to share it with visitors.

• Liked — personal contact with the knowledgeable hosts
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
British Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2007

Nobody was at the place when I arrived at 3 p.m. I had a reservation for three days. The taxi left me in the street with my luggage, very hot and tired, and I tried for over half an hour to contact Jupiter by phone so that I could get in out of the sun and dusty street. There is no maid service on Mondays and Tuesdays and the place is quite a long way from the Plaza. Not good when you don't have a car. Comala is totally dead after 6 p.m. and it is very hard to find somewhere decent to eat. One cannot get messages by telephone nor use the phone as most of the time the owners are gone. Their two dogs barked all evening while they were out and when they came back their kid screamed for half an hour. Breakfast was okay. The owner is only interested in money and if four of you turn up and let him give you a day's tour, you will find suddenly he is very attentive. The perfect time share salesman. I suggest you stay in Colima instead. Try Hotel America - what a huge difference for the same price.

Stayed January 2007
HumbleHost, Owner at Casa Alvarada, responded to this review, January 26, 2007
Dear Wendy:

It is extremly sad to read the review that you wrote about Casa Alvarada on the Trip Advisor.

There is nothing worst that a client that left our place with this kind of experiencies.

Evetough I need to say in our own benefit that:

1.-"Nobody was at the place when I arrived at 3 p.m. I had a reservation for three days. The taxi left me in the street with my luggage, very hot and tired, and I tried for over half an hour to contact Jupiter by phone so that I could get in out of the sun and dusty street."

1.- I trulley apologized with you,at that moment, for this unconvinience, I thougt I explained to you that our other guest for that night called me at 2:50 saying that they were lost, when they got sombody telling them were they where, I found out, that they missed the bus stop and where at Suchitlan, I offer to picked them up, thinking that Jupiter was on his way to expect your arrival, but unfurtunaly I didn't calculate a correct time frame. When I arrve I checked on my anwser machine and got the calls from the telgraph office, and found you at my neighbor house.

2.-There is no maid service on Mondays and Tuesdays
2.- We have a lady that help us with the service Monday Wednesday, Thursday and Saturdays, the rest of the days I myself, clean the bedrooms, I don't understand why you say there was no cleaning service during those days.

3.-and the place is quite a long way from the Plaza.Not good when you don't have a car.
3.- We are 3 blocks away from the main square

4.-Comala is totally dead after 6 p.m. and it is very hard to find somewhere decent to eat.
4.- That is your perception and there is nothing else we can do about it. Comala it is a small town, no international food restaurants or fast food available, but we do have more than 5 different regional food restaurants where you can eat affter 6:00 pm

5.-One cannot get messages by telephone nor use the phone as most of the time the owners are gone.
5.- Júpiter anwser the phone when you friend called, that wasThe only telephone message that you got, you were out when he called. We have an anwser machine and you were not reached again by your friends.

6.-Their two dogs barked all evening while they were out and when they came back their kid screamed for half an hour.
6,. There is nothing we can do about our kind crying, she is a kid that happen to be sick, this is the first time somebody complain about the dogs, so we will work in keep them in their gate.

7.- Breakfast was okay.
7.- At last one good thing!!!

8.-The owner is only interested in money and if four of you turn up and let him give you a day's tour, you will find suddenly he is very attentive. The perfect time share salesman.
8.- It is to sad to have caused this lame impresion on you, we do have other interested that the one refered to money, others related to complete the service for our guests. For example you didn't mentioned that we gave you an spacial senior rate, we gave you travel agency service without any charge, called your friend without any charge, called you taxi service without any charge, booked you at hotel Americas without any charge.

9.- I suggest you stay in Colima instead. Try Hotel America - what a huge difference for the same price.
9.- The great difference between Hotel America and Casa Alvarada is that we are not a Hotel, we are very clear about it in our web page when we explain the concept and talked about, what to expect of our services. The rate is not the same, 3 course breakfast is not included in hotel Amércia rate.

Wendy, we are a family of young mexicans on their way to built an enterprise, at the end your comments really will help us to improve, it is just to sad that you choose to go and tell everybody else ,except us, about the way we can do it better.

We truly hope that in your future trips to México you can find better service and most of all, enjoyable experiences.

Nuestros mejores saludos desde Comala, Colima

Mara Ballesteros

Walla Walla, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2006

We discovered this little jewel a couple of weeks ago. Casa Alvarada is a small B&B - you basically have a little art-filled house with bedroom, kitchen, living room and huge private patio with hammocks (and a friendly little cat).

The charming and gracious hosts, Mara & Jupiter, are extremely knowledgeable about what to see and do in the area (they're both in the travel business - he arranged our bus tickets from Comala to Manzanillo). Their English is impeccable, and they prepare unique gourmet breakfasts at their beautiful art-filled home next door (cactus tortilla with queso and squash flowers for example). There's quite a variety of sounds - horse hooves on the cobbled streets, roosters, dogs, etc., but we found that charming.

Comala is a lovely little colonial town with a beautiful zocolo with music most nights, wonderful restaurants, friendly people, beautiful little museums, and few tourists. We hired a cab driver for about $10/hour to take us to the nearby volcanos, the little village of Suchitlan for a fantastic lunch under the coffee trees, and to purchase a hand carved wooden animal mask from a wonderful artist there. Colima's only a few miles by bus or cab.

We took the luxury ETN bus from Barra and returned to Manzanillo (2 hour $8 bus ride). I'd really encourage making part of your beach vacation a trip up to the mountains for the authentic Mexico. It was the highlight of our trip!

Been to Casa Alvarada? Share your experiences!