“Interesting Museum with a superb B&B attached!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Montacute Country Tearooms B&B

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montacute
Montacute Country Tearooms B&B
You added Montacute Country Tearooms B&B to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   1 South Street, Montacute TA15 6XD, England   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Montacute B&B and Inns
London
“Interesting Museum with a superb B&B attached!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

This was our tenth annual stay and surely that says it all! Everything about it is immaculate, spotlessly clean, extremely friendly, relaxed, quiet and in a beautiful location for Montacute village, Montacute House (NT) and easy access for excellent local walks. Some people may find the attic rooms a little small, but for us this is easily compensated for by the excellence of everything else. There's a convenient pub with good food two houses down the road.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Peak District
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

Hello Moderators....the business here at 1 South St Montacute is the tea rooms, B and B and Museum all rolled into one on the same site so maybe the listing should include the word museum as well. http://www.montacutemuseum.co.uk/ Anyway here's my review....

If you're forty or fifty something and have watched TV from an early age.....and appreciate English eccentricity this is the place for you!!

I was visiting the Haynes Motor Museum, had a little bit more time to spare before picking up my Wife in Salisbury. I picked up a flyer for this place. Looked interesting, but I worked out I'd only have about 20 minutes there before having to leave for Salisbury (it's about 25 minutes from the Haynes Museum at Sparkford). But I thought I'd give it a look

It's essentially a tea room with a cash desk at the front door "One for the museum please". After being relieved of the best part of six quid (a bit of a shock with my 20 minute calculation in mind) I was led to the middle of the tearooms and show a door in the far wall "it starts in there". I enter what looks like a garden shed with a load of old Bakelite radios stacked up around the wall. I round the corner into another corridor and this one has loads of copies of old radio magazines floor to ceiling behind perspex sheets. I round another corner to see another small area with annuals floor to ceiling. I round another corner to see loads a sort of makeshift display cabinet with board games, all relating to TV shows....and it goes on and on...more makeshift cabinets with plastic figures, models, masks, lots more annuals, jigsaws...all relating to skippy, danger man, the prisoner, star trek, blue peter, starsky and hutch, z cars, the man from uncle, chips, the dukes of hazzard, Space 1999.....practically every TV show ever made.

It's like an eccentric started collecting old radios in his garden shed 70 years ago......and got too many, so he added another shed next to it and cut a passage to join the two....and then with the advent of TV....another shed...and another. There's probably about 17 garden sheds joined together with 2 or 3 big sheds at the end......I'm sure they're not sheds, but that's what it felt like. If the owners are reading, please done't take this the wrong way. I loved it, thought it was completely brilliant (as Rick from the "Young Ones" would say)...and yes, they've got some Young Ones memorabilia in there as well.

I was amazed that practically every TV show ever made (and the Archers) seems to have a board game (even contemporary shows). I was amazed that someone had made a series of little figures of coronation street characters...and as for the startship enterprise radio.....well!!!!

It's quirky, a bit makeshift, and will appeal to a certain audience, but I thought it was fabulous. Shame I only had 20 minutes. Could easily have stayed an hour or two.

BRILLIANT!!! (as they used to say on the Fast Show!)

Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Been to Montacute Country Tearooms B&B? Share your experiences!