“Hotel Albemarle” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Albemarle

Save Saved
You added Hotel Albemarle to your Saves list
Hotel Albemarle
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Las Fragatas Street, And Los Jieles Avenue, Puerto Villamil, Ecuador   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Puerto Villamil
Ohio
“Hotel Albemarle”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

It is in a good location across from a swimming beach and around the block from some great restaurants. The reason for the poor review was due to lack of cleanliness. The same dead bugs were in the same location in our bathroom the entire stay. Also open bars of soap and hair were left from the previous tenants. The pictures show that the bathrooms have two sinks but the faucet was only working for one sink. The sheets, curtains and towels are past due to be replaced. They were stained and worn thin. We never used the pool as it is very small and it was green. I do not know if they are able to use chlorine/chemicals. The beach across the street is more comfortable and the swimming was great.

Be aware... although the hotel was kind enough to call a taxi to pick us up at 5:15 am to meet the ferry no one ever showed up. We were fortunate to hitch a ride with other guests whose tour guides had arranged and showed up to personally take their group to the ferry. It is not a walk to take with luggage as the roads are sandy, bumpy and not close enough to the ferry. Try to make arrangements through a tour fguide for this.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

Stayed here as an independent traveler while visiting Galapagos. We had a great time doing day trips with local guides (helps if you speak Spanish and they really do know the best places to take you to!) and eating out at local restaurants, but the hotel really was the low point of our stay. Great location right on the beach and lovely to go to sleep to the sound of crushing waves, but the room are not well taken care of, as is the case with all of the property and the food is simply awful. I was also wondering about hygiene in the kitchen, as the "chef" walked around all over the village barefoot and then also was barefoot in the kitchen and had a very nasty looking cut on his finger that looked like it probably should have been away from food related items for the time being. Even though we foolishly prepaid for our dinners at the hotel and they refused to give us a refund when we decided after a couple of nights to eat elsewhere, we opted to eat our meals in local restaurants - a much better choice, both for your taste buds and your wallet! Try the burger joint three door down - it is the best burger I ever had in my life! Hotel presents well in pictures, but needs some repair and new staff that gives a damn.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Sterling, Alaska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

The Albemarle was somewhat of a dissapointment to us for the cost. First - BEAWARE - it is located RIGHT next to a lively bar. If you need rest - don't stay here. The bar noise goes until wee hours of the morning. Although the desk clerk assured us the noise stops after 9:00 PM it does not. In addition, because the hotel is located right on the street, local traffic continues to come and go from the bar. Second - we stayed in the "Charles Room" - each room is given a names versus a number - our bed didn't have a mattress cover, so the bottom sheet was directly on the matterss which you could see through the sheet. The pillow cases were too small for the bed pillows, so the pillows stuck out of their cases. Third - a scocer field is located right next to the hotel and you can watch games and practices from the upper floor balcony of the Albemarle - but wild games do get loud and there is no place to sit - so you have to either stand or lean on the railing. Fourth - the swimming pool is discusting - full of green gunk and murky water. We never even tried to use the pool because it was visually unpleasant. The furniture is somewhat run down/old and in need of repair or replacement. The food was okay but you can purchase better food from the local resturants. While we were there, there appeared to be only one staff person doing everything - taking call, helping guests, serving tables and checking guests in. He was quick at his tasks - but seemed to only be focused on the task and not the guest/customer - moving from one to another. The hotel should have another person to assist - even if its just part-time.

Room Tip: Located RIGHT next to a lively bar. If you need to rest - don't stay here.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Salisbury, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

Although hotels are Isabela are limited, this one did not live up to our expectations. We learned how difficult it was to try and book hotels on our own (outside of an organized tour or agency), but still chose to maintain our independence.

Hotel Albemarle is ideally situated directly on the beach, and our room was rather large, but it appeared that the property was in a state of disrepair. Furnishings were simple but adequate, and the bathroom had higher end finishes, but the faucet was falling off on one of the sinks, no shower curtain and a strong odor from the toilet when left open. The air conditioner worked well and cooled quickly. A water cooler was provided in the room which seemed like a great feature until we went to drink the water in our water bottle and saw the larvae swimming in the water. It was promptly swapped out.

The very small pool area looks pretty in the picture, but was green on the bottom, and the hot tub did not work - so no usage during our entire stay. There is a very large open air deck on the top floor that provides the view in the picture, but there is no furniture available. Breakfast was simple and adequate as well.

I would summarize this as a hotel with a ton of potential, and in need of some TLC.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Quito, Ecuador
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

I stayed at the Albermale for a couple of nights. the girl at the reception was nice. She never asked me for an ID, which could be explained by how safe Isabela is (literally, there is no crime whatsoever).
I got the Crossman room. I was not very surprised. Even though it has a nice tiny pool area, the room was sort of unfinished. Furniture was old and in poor condition.
While I was lying in bed to take a nap before a meeting, I spotted ants in the bed, they where not so many, and I managed to get rid of them.
Once I was back, I was getting ready for bed, and when I opened the bedsheets, found many more ants strolling in the bed. I managed to get rid of them, hoping they will go away, unfortunately that was not the case. I couldn't sleep at all, since I got ants all over me during the night. I told the receptionist about the problem, and she offered to clean up and disinfect the whole room, but didn't offer a change of room (I assume it was because the other rooms where all booked).
When I got back, It was all clean, but I still found some ants, fortunately not very many, and I could swipe them out of the bed. Some other colleagues stating at other rooms mentioned they also had ant problems.
WiFi was decent and the staff was friendly though.

This hotel is very nice, has a lot of potential, but unfortunately seems like the owner wanted to cut some corners.

Room Tip: Avoid the "Crossman" room
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

My wife and I were travelling from Peru and were really looking forward to the Hotel Albemarle and quiet on the beautiful island of Isabela. The hotel was great and view wonderful. The full size floor to ceiling window opened up fully and wind was lovely. One thing people should know however, recently a bar opened right next to the hotel and although people rarely frequented it, it started booming loud music early in the day the througout the night. Not the quiet retreat we were hoping for. I know its not the hotel's fault and in fact they were very unhappy about it, but still. I don't know the cost but try Iguana Crossing, a lovely hotel and very secluded.

Room Tip: ASk for the second floor and preferrably the room farthest from the office.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

We (my husband and I and 3 young children) stayed at the Hotel Albemarle for 3 nights during our land-based trip around the Galapagos. We found that there were good and bad things about our stay there. The good things included the sheer beauty of the hotel itself and especially the setting - it was right in front of a 1-2 mile long beach that was often almost empty. Also on the beach was a playground, which was also great for the kids. Isabella was quiet and stunning, but frequented by tons of animals. Just a quick walk down the beach one day included sitings of a Galapagos penguin, several sea lions, a whole host of marine iguanas and blue footed boobies diving in the surf. It was wonderful.

On the downside, there seem to be some new bars that have recently sprung up right next to the hotel. These bars attract the locals well into the early hours of the morning. One night, 3 drunk local men entered the hotel in the middle of the night, walking up and down the hallways yelling, and on another night, the bar's music was so loud that our room felt as though it was vibrating until 2am. Since our experience, the owners have begun to lock the hotel lobby, which has always been left open because of the literal lack of crime on the island. I know that Max is well aware of the issue and is actively working to move the bars to another part of the island and/or contain the noise. He was terrific in helping to solve both issues and even offered us reimbursement for one night of our stay. Once the bars are moved/contained, I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Albemarle? Share your experiences!