“Not what we thought ...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Albemarle

Save Saved
You added Hotel Albemarle to your Saves list
Hotel Albemarle
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Las Fragatas Street, And Los Jieles Avenue, Puerto Villamil, Ecuador   |
Ranked #6 of 6 hotels in Puerto Villamil
Sterling, Alaska
“Not what we thought ...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

The Albemarle was somewhat of a dissapointment to us for the cost. First - BEAWARE - it is located RIGHT next to a lively bar. If you need rest - don't stay here. The bar noise goes until wee hours of the morning. Although the desk clerk assured us the noise stops after 9:00 PM it does not. In addition, because the hotel is located right on the street, local traffic continues to come and go from the bar. Second - we stayed in the "Charles Room" - each room is given a names versus a number - our bed didn't have a mattress cover, so the bottom sheet was directly on the matterss which you could see through the sheet. The pillow cases were too small for the bed pillows, so the pillows stuck out of their cases. Third - a scocer field is located right next to the hotel and you can watch games and practices from the upper floor balcony of the Albemarle - but wild games do get loud and there is no place to sit - so you have to either stand or lean on the railing. Fourth - the swimming pool is discusting - full of green gunk and murky water. We never even tried to use the pool because it was visually unpleasant. The furniture is somewhat run down/old and in need of repair or replacement. The food was okay but you can purchase better food from the local resturants. While we were there, there appeared to be only one staff person doing everything - taking call, helping guests, serving tables and checking guests in. He was quick at his tasks - but seemed to only be focused on the task and not the guest/customer - moving from one to another. The hotel should have another person to assist - even if its just part-time.

Room Tip: Located RIGHT next to a lively bar. If you need to rest - don't stay here.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

91 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Salisbury, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

Although hotels are Isabela are limited, this one did not live up to our expectations. We learned how difficult it was to try and book hotels on our own (outside of an organized tour or agency), but still chose to maintain our independence.

Hotel Albemarle is ideally situated directly on the beach, and our room was rather large, but it appeared that the property was in a state of disrepair. Furnishings were simple but adequate, and the bathroom had higher end finishes, but the faucet was falling off on one of the sinks, no shower curtain and a strong odor from the toilet when left open. The air conditioner worked well and cooled quickly. A water cooler was provided in the room which seemed like a great feature until we went to drink the water in our water bottle and saw the larvae swimming in the water. It was promptly swapped out.

The very small pool area looks pretty in the picture, but was green on the bottom, and the hot tub did not work - so no usage during our entire stay. There is a very large open air deck on the top floor that provides the view in the picture, but there is no furniture available. Breakfast was simple and adequate as well.

I would summarize this as a hotel with a ton of potential, and in need of some TLC.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Quito, Ecuador
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

I stayed at the Albermale for a couple of nights. the girl at the reception was nice. She never asked me for an ID, which could be explained by how safe Isabela is (literally, there is no crime whatsoever).
I got the Crossman room. I was not very surprised. Even though it has a nice tiny pool area, the room was sort of unfinished. Furniture was old and in poor condition.
While I was lying in bed to take a nap before a meeting, I spotted ants in the bed, they where not so many, and I managed to get rid of them.
Once I was back, I was getting ready for bed, and when I opened the bedsheets, found many more ants strolling in the bed. I managed to get rid of them, hoping they will go away, unfortunately that was not the case. I couldn't sleep at all, since I got ants all over me during the night. I told the receptionist about the problem, and she offered to clean up and disinfect the whole room, but didn't offer a change of room (I assume it was because the other rooms where all booked).
When I got back, It was all clean, but I still found some ants, fortunately not very many, and I could swipe them out of the bed. Some other colleagues stating at other rooms mentioned they also had ant problems.
WiFi was decent and the staff was friendly though.

This hotel is very nice, has a lot of potential, but unfortunately seems like the owner wanted to cut some corners.

Room Tip: Avoid the "Crossman" room
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

My wife and I were travelling from Peru and were really looking forward to the Hotel Albemarle and quiet on the beautiful island of Isabela. The hotel was great and view wonderful. The full size floor to ceiling window opened up fully and wind was lovely. One thing people should know however, recently a bar opened right next to the hotel and although people rarely frequented it, it started booming loud music early in the day the througout the night. Not the quiet retreat we were hoping for. I know its not the hotel's fault and in fact they were very unhappy about it, but still. I don't know the cost but try Iguana Crossing, a lovely hotel and very secluded.

Room Tip: ASk for the second floor and preferrably the room farthest from the office.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

We (my husband and I and 3 young children) stayed at the Hotel Albemarle for 3 nights during our land-based trip around the Galapagos. We found that there were good and bad things about our stay there. The good things included the sheer beauty of the hotel itself and especially the setting - it was right in front of a 1-2 mile long beach that was often almost empty. Also on the beach was a playground, which was also great for the kids. Isabella was quiet and stunning, but frequented by tons of animals. Just a quick walk down the beach one day included sitings of a Galapagos penguin, several sea lions, a whole host of marine iguanas and blue footed boobies diving in the surf. It was wonderful.

On the downside, there seem to be some new bars that have recently sprung up right next to the hotel. These bars attract the locals well into the early hours of the morning. One night, 3 drunk local men entered the hotel in the middle of the night, walking up and down the hallways yelling, and on another night, the bar's music was so loud that our room felt as though it was vibrating until 2am. Since our experience, the owners have begun to lock the hotel lobby, which has always been left open because of the literal lack of crime on the island. I know that Max is well aware of the issue and is actively working to move the bars to another part of the island and/or contain the noise. He was terrific in helping to solve both issues and even offered us reimbursement for one night of our stay. Once the bars are moved/contained, I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

My new wife and I stayed at this hotel at the beginning of February and had the most fantastic time and were made to feel very welcome in this beautiful hotel. It is run by an English guy called Max and his wife Diana, who were both very accommodating, Max has great knowledge of the island and organised all 4 of our island tours, he also personally knows the ‘Jacques Cousteau’ of the Galapagos and arranged the best scuba diving trip of my life! His name was Pierre Constant.

The hotel has the best location of all the hotels on Isabela and the rooms have fantastic views looking out to the beach. They were a very good size and furnished well and always kept clean by the maids, very comfortable beds! Great views out of the big double doors, with a lovely sea breeze all day and night.

The internet in the reception was working during our stay, albeit a little slow & temperamental……but you are in the middle of the Pacific Ocean!! We needed to print some booking confirmations and Natalie on reception was very kind and let us print from their computer, she was very obliging and helpful.

The breakfast was very nice, we opted for the toast, fruit, muesli and yogurt which was always lovely. We stayed at the hotel for 7 nights, but only ate at their restaurant once as we tried all the other restaurants on the square behind the hotel. However, the food was very good, as it is everywhere….especially if you like fresh fish!

The pool was in full working order and very nice, although you’re spoilt for choice when you have the ocean on your doorstep. I read on other reviews that the hot tub wasn’t working, this was also the case when we were there, but I understand that they were waiting for a part from the mainland.

Again, on reading other reviews, I think it is very unfair of someone to talk about the owners children in the way he has. In the Galapagos, children have 3 months school holiday between January & March, so this is reason that the children were around. They caused us no bother at all and would play on the beach and in the pool…..but the hotel is their home, so give them a break!

Overall, this is a fantastic hotel and would highly recommend it to everyone. It’s very relaxed and you feel more at home than in a hotel. I think this is what Max and Diana were striving for and it definitely works. Top marks!

Room Tip: Book a first floor ocean view room
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

I have been to the Galapagos Islands many many times. I feel like I know the islands intimately, having stayed on the three most heavily populated islands many times. This hotel is in absolutely the best location on the best island to visit. The island only has about 2000 permanent inhabitants, all of the streets are sand, with a laid-back atmosphere second to none.

The hotel is right on the beautiful white sand beach that is approximately 2 miles long. I think the most people I have ever seen on the beach is about 50 people.

All rooms have direct ocean views, where you can open the beautiful French doors and enjoy the sea breezes. The bed quality is great which is a very rare thing to find on the island chain and bed sheet quality has a high thread count, all of which is very important to me.

The rooms are clean and new'ish. It is not five star but it is as close as you're going to find on the island.

The restaurant has very good food. In fact one time when I was they there, I met a couple that have been traveling well over a year. I asked him what they missed the most about home, and being from Germany they stated the Schnitzel. I knew the chef at that time was from Austria so I went down and asked him if he could do schnitzel because it was not on the menu. The result was all of us had beautiful schnitzel served on heated lava slab carve plates garnished with some kind of flower. And a side of some kind of German potatoes that were excellent.

Overall it is a fantastic place and I can't recommend it enough. I stay in hotels a lot of years over 200 nights a year, so it's quite nice to get to a remote location in a Third World country and find an oasis like this.

Room Tip: All the rooms are equal and fantastic
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Albemarle? Share your experiences!