“OK for last minute; very rural area” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel San Vicente Galapagos

You added Hotel San Vicente Galapagos to your Saves list
Hotel San Vicente Galapagos
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Cormorant and Puerto Villamil 1204, Puerto Villamil 52172, Ecuador   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Puerto Villamil
Cocoa Beach
“OK for last minute; very rural area”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

The owners of Hotel San Vicente Galapagos apparently are associated with La Laguna Hotel. I state this because La Laguna diverted me to San Vicente.

I was celebrating a big "0" birthday and my sister was flying-in from Chile to greet me. My flight was 4 hours late, requiring me to miss the last ferry fr P. Ayora to Isabela. I called from my plane in Guayaquil to notify them (using expensive time on my phone) & told them I'd be on the next ferry (I had booked for 5 days). I phoned before the next ferry left P. Ayora and "No problem!" I phoned upon landing at the ferry dock in P. Villamil. "No problem." After a 5-min taxi ride to La Laguna, "Oh, we thought you'd canceled! We gave your room away." I've traveled to 50 countries solo, as well as lived in 50. I'm not new to this game.

So, instead of an overview of the lagoon w flamingoes, I was taken to San Vicente, where a rooster and dogs barking kept-me up (not the hotel's fault, of course). My expectations had already been biased. La Laguna had insisted, "Yes, yes, San Vicente has TV!" (As, for my birthday, it was just going to be watching TV w my sister as a celebration). No TV. Air conditioner (ductless, so very loud) did work well.

Breakfast was fine & included, but when we returned from a tour & requested lunch. "No. You have no reservations." Quite disappointed w this event. P. Villamil is very rural and the local restaurants either would not accept my sister & I without a reservation or were closed. San Vicente did not alert me to this fact.

A mother/daughter duo whom we met on the ferry told us that their hostal down the street from San Vicente, greeted them w drinks, told them the history of the island, and arranged trips for them. Not so at San Vicente.

However, the young lady at reception did go out of her way to phone our taxi driver back in P. Ayora as well as our next hotel (Angermeyer). She did this graciously & without expectation of anything in return (I did tip her). She was very kind.

Room Tip: Room 11 (where I stayed) is upstairs & a bit more private, but I would suggest a room upstairs...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I have tried to post my comment before, but forgot to verify this on my email! - We stayed on San Vicente 4 nights for our Galapagos adventure tour set up by an agany in Quito. We were pretty satisfied by the services in the hotel. Breakfast was the best of all - it was sort of a buffet-style and yummy! Most of the staff doesn’t speak English, except for one lady, but we were ok with that as they were very helpful and my sister knew some basic Spanish.

Our room was always clean and cool, ac, hot water and all worked fine. We must have got the best rooms as we had no problems sleeping and relaxing, not that we spent that much time on the room! Our beds were very comfortable and we always had new towels. They also got a nice outdoors area to relax. The hotel was full but we still got all we needed and were taken care of. Isabela was the nicest part of our trip! We got to go back there. The whole trip was arranged from the hotel!

Pick upstairs rooms!

Room Tip: Pick upstairs rooms!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Decent hotel with really delicious food.

The service is really good, and they organise fantastic day tours with great guides.

My room smelled really mouldy and the be linens was stained. That really put me off.

It's also not on the beautiful beach which is a pity,because it's a great beach. About a 5 min walk to the beach.

Food there is reataurant quality. Very yummy!

• Stayed February 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

Exactly what we needed- simple rooms, outside sitting areas and relaxed environment. Rooms were nice and clean, close to the centre, good breakfast and they offered dinner with soup and a main course that was much cheaper than other restaurants in town. Staff were helpful with booking tours, this is a great place to enjoy Isabela.

• Stayed February 2013
HSanVicente, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel San Vicente Galapagos, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Guest

Thanks so much for your review. We are so glad your stay on our hotel was so enjoyable. We have been improving our cooking at the hotel and we are happy to learn it was of your liking. We shall pass to our staff regarding your good comments.

I hope the rest of you stay on Galapagos was as good as it Isabela. Thanks again for talking the time to review us.

Best regards!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I first stayed at this hotel 6 or 7 nights, and I was so thrilled with everything about the place I came back a week later to spend a few days more.

The rooms are perfectly clean and cosy, the food is of very good quality (thank you Mario!), you can eat inside or outside in a nice courtyard, and the hotel proposes very good activities and tours, with good guides and coordinators (thank you Rodolfo!).

Great place to meet people from all over the world.

The Spanish-speaking staff may seem a little rude sometimes - though I really enjoyed practicing my Spanish with them and I had a great time with them.

Caroline, the English woman who works there, is truly fantastic. She is always available for you, trying to answer all your needs and resolving any of your concerns, if there are. Her service is excellent, and she definitely contributes to your feeling at home in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. What a nice feeling! Also, she knows a lot about wild-life and she has all sorts of stories to tell you about sea lions, turtles, iguanas... A passionate woman who loves her job and her island!

Very good location too. Drinking water fountains (tap water is not potable on Isabela). Close to a supermarket and to the beach.

I was completely satisfied with my stay at this hotel!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest

We are thanks full you took that time to write you review of our hotel. We are always happy to learn we contributed to make someone’s stay on Isabela so pleasant. I hope you enjoyed the other islands equally.

It is a good thing to learn that food was good and tasty, as we have been working on improving our meals, so it seem to be working good : ) . Thanks for mentioning the guides, as we this let us know that they are getting along very well with the travelers. Most of our staff does not speak English indeed, but they try to compensate that with service, we are glad you could practice you Spanish with them.

We shall pass your comment to Caroline to let her know what great job she is doing too! She really lover her job and the island, as she certainly loves to share that passion other visitors.

Best regards!

PS. Thanks for the recommendation on the water; this is indeed useful for future guests.
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is a nice hotel and I had my meals here as well. The room was very good and the shower had the best showerhead I have ever experienced. The food was great as well-buffet style with different meats and vegetables. I would say the only bad thing is the rooster out back. Understandably there are roosters all across the island crowing at 4:30am, but the one in the back sounds like he's standing by the bed due to thin walls (not that thicker walls would help with that as he is so loud!) My friends who stayed in the front side of the hotel did not even hear him so definitely request for a front facing room. The tours provided by this hotel are very good as well! I would pick this hotel again-but instead, stay in the front side.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

The hotel is owned by Nature Galapagos and Ecuador, it is of average standard, but it is sufficient. If you go with Nature Galapagos and Ecuador tour, the hotel is very convenient as they are the starting point for almost every tour. There is a convenience store or supermarket nearby and everything is within walking distance. Food was nice on some days and it was ok on other days.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
La Gran Tortuga
La Gran Tortuga
#4 of 20 in Puerto Villamil
4.5 of 5 stars 151 reviews

Been to Hotel San Vicente Galapagos? Share your experiences!