“Wide range of bungalows types” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bamboo Bungalows

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ko Phayam
Bamboo Bungalows
56 Moo 1 Koh Phayam, Ko Phayam, Thailand   |
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Wide range of bungalows types”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

I had been staying at a place on Ao Khao Kwai beach but since it was subject to the "low tide blues" - twice a day the water receded 4-500 meters and, call me old fashioned but I want my water RIGHT THERE all the time - I decided to move to a place on Ao Yai beach which is about two kilometres long with nice waves and not subject to tides. Plus you have a great view of the sunset. There are a string of places to stay along the beach ranging from super air-con to basic hut.
I chose Bamboo Bungalows as it was the largest place - there are scores of bungalows of differing sizes - and it had a restaurant. I wound up getting the cheapest place - 400 baht - and for that price I got a bungalow with a fan (there's electricity 24/7 so it works at night) with big bed, mosquito net and nice outdoor (cold) shower, perfectly adequate for my needs.
While I didn't personally avail myself of the facilities they have everything you need to enjoy water sports: kayaks, boogie boards, snorkel equipment. I don't find it necessary to travel with a device that connects me to the virtual world but there were LOTS of people who sat in the restaurant and for some reason were bent over their computers most of the day, so I assume the wi-fi they have is adequate. There was even one young English couple who sat next to each other and spent most of the day texting. Amazing. I thought they would stop when they ate dinner but - nope - they ate, ignored each other and continued to text.
The restaurant was fine for breakfast but just adequate for dinner. But not to worry, right next door is JJs - a FABULOUS fish restaurant where you can sit with your feet in the sand and devour huge portions of cooked to order caught that day fish.
The Thai woman manager was on the job all day it seemed doing everything - waiting tables, dealing with reservations, changing money, reserving ferry tickets, taking the laundry - I have rarely seen a manager work so much.
Payment can be made by credit card - against the usual 3% surcharge - but as telephone lines are wonky make sure they're working and have cash in reserve just in case.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

94 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

We were very happy with our choice at the Bamboo Bungalow, from the spacious room (esp. the large sized veranda), the excellent selection of food, to the exotic beachfront location. Overall, the whole tropical jungle atmosphere made it simply unbeatable! If anything can be different, i may hope there are bungalows which come with indoor bathroom (as I am a little bit anxious about small insects in the evening), but I must admit, I did enjoy taking a shower in its unique tropical open-style bathroom DURING the day time - feel like I am really live in the jungle at last!! Also, pls note this resort has not hotwater, but we were fine with that. I just read the previous reviewer saying this is a terriable place, and are somewhat surprised. When we arrived in Koh PhaYam, we didn't have anything booked in advance, but had few names in mind by reading through the Koh PhaYam forum. We decided to check out the Bamboo Bungalow so we took the motortaxi (fixed TBH70 from the pier). I asked one of the guest happened to be walking out of the front road entrance how he liked this place, his response was extremely positive. So without further hesitation, we went down to the reception and asked for a room for 3 night, and later extended for another 3 nights. Besides the access to the miles long beautiful Aow Yai beach, the pleasant resort amenities (e.g., nice sun sunbeds, free kayak is a great thing to do during the sunset), food is the also one of the main reasons which kept me back for longer! The place is quite busy, so you DO need to request if you wish to have your room, and maybe wait for some time for cleaning to take place since there is only one cleaning lady, and it is a big place. So we understand, and when the job was done, it is a good job. Owners of the hotel are very nice and helpful people. If any problem, just inform the owners (who is always always around the reception), and he is more than happy to fix it!

Lastly, I want to congratulate the owners in doing a fabulous job in maintaining this sizable establishment in its most natural, peaceful and exotic tropical setting!
During our stay, we have also visited other establishments, e.g., PP Land is no where near as good; the other well-know BlueSky resort is a lovely place to have a drink, but the fact that water in this island is most of time low- tide did not offer the appeal to its luxury bungalows built above the water, All factors taking into considerations, Bamboo Bungalow resort is a great pick on this island!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

When we arrived at Kho Phayam we decided to check out Bamboo Bungalows since it looked so good online and had some nice reviews.
Luckily we only booked 1 night as they had us running as soon as we could find another place in the morning.
What can we say? The room was not clean, smelled of urine. The stuff were totally rude and not nice at all. Internet was a joke. And it was overpriced.
Almost any other place on the same beach seems better, on our time in Kho Phayam we met at least 10 other people with the same experience as us.
Stay away!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Stay away!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Vevey, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

It was our first time in Thailand with our 10 years old daughter, and also our first time travelling with her without booking anything, only with our backpacks and lets go roots....

I just first do some browsing the web and searching for a good and peaceful island.
Koh Phayam was a delight for us as it's quiet, calm and peaceful.
When we finally arrived on the pier of the island, we went straight to Ao Kwai beach and walked a little around the Bamboo Bungalow to see the others lodges.
But finally decided that it was this one to go for.
And we were more than happy of this choice, it was in October 2010 and so the season was low and we get a discount and so choose the villa, very comfy, outside shower was a pleasure for my two girls.
The staff was really nice (even if Jin, the manager, is effectively spending some time in front of her computer, she always keen and polite to fullfil any of your requests).
The atmosphere was really family like, the food was excellent and we spent a full week in heaven.
BTW, the kayaks were free to use, but also the surfing boards and bodyboards....

I hesitate between highly recommending this island and this lodge... or just telling you not to go there, simply to keep it safe from the mass tourists invasion.

A big hello to all the staff, Jin and all the other nice people of the Bungalow Bamboo ;-)
From Harvey, Manu and Lisa. Hope we'll come back one day to paradise island

Room Tip: If you can afford, take the villas