“An oasis in the charming town of Malinalco” 4 of 5 stars

Casa Limon
Rio Lerma 103 | Barrio de Santa Maria, Malinalco, Mexico   |
Ranked #6 of 14 Malinalco B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“An oasis in the charming town of Malinalco”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

Casa Limon is a little oasis in the charming town of Malinalco. It is centrally located with just a short walk to the plaza and other attractions.

The hotel has about eleven guest suites or rooms. I counted eight in the main hotel area. The other three are across the street in a beautiful private compound with its own private dining area and small pool.

The staff was lovely. The owner, Leonel Garcia, was gracious and very helpful. He’s a true gentleman. The star of the show however was Dolores. She made our travel arrangements, helped with finding special services, and anything we needed. She made our Casa Limon experience exceptional.

We really enjoyed the property, and made good use of the bar and excellent restaurant. The owner clearly cares a great deal about food. He does some of the shopping himself to ensure that the restaurant has only the best and freshest ingredients. He arrived one morning with two large bags filled with fresh morel mushrooms. That evening the menu included a delicious morel appetizer and filet mignon with morel sauce.

Breakfast was also a wonderful experience. Each morning Dolores brought us coffee and bread followed by fresh fruit and then eggs made to order with beans, chili killies or anything you’d request.

The compound across the street where we stayed is really lovely, but had some problems.

The compound consists of three living areas. Two are typical hotel rooms – each with their own bathroom. The third is a small stand-alone building that is exceptional.

The small stand-alone house is where my sister stayed and she was impressed with every aspect of her stay.

My friend and I took the two smaller rooms on the west side of the courtyard. As much as I liked my experience at Casa Limon and look forward to staying there again in December, I would not recommend staying in these rooms. Hot water was rare. Of the six showers I took, five were cold. Daily I told the staff that we had no hot water and daily they said they would fix it. Luckily my sister had the fancy house across the way so I’d just pack a bag and went over there when I didn’t want to deal with the cold water.

When I arrived my room had only one LED light that produced about what you might get from a 30W bulb. It was dark! I asked for an additional lamp, which they promptly provided. There was no mirror in the bathroom, which maked shaving a bit hazardous; and the shower drain was very slow so you got to stand in an inch of cold water. I got the sense that we were the first guests to stay in these additional rooms – so all may be fixed by my next visit.

Casa Limon does offer WiFi but the connection is slow and only works in the main hotel area. I was able to check in at the airport and do very basic transactions, but you have to be patient.

The hotel does not have a safe, which made us a bit nervous at first, but the staff assured us all would be fine. By day two we didn’t even bother locking our doors. It became clear that everyone on the staff maintains a watchful eye.

Reservations were easy to make via email and they take Visa, Mastercard and American Express.

Lovely people. Lovely place. Very recommended.

Room Tip: Take a look at my review. The room I stayed in was average. The room my sister had was excellent.