“Good experience. Lodging and meals OK for the price.” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Bern
14 attraction reviews
“Good experience. Lodging and meals OK for the price.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My 16 years old son is a passionate table tennis player and we decided to spend 15 days in China so that he could practice in the country where they play the best table tennis in the world. That is how I got to know the official site of cntttc and asked for information. Later on I found the other two reviews (until now) about cntttc in Tripadvisor and was discouraged to go there. Nevertheless, I got into touch with zdtttb, which is exactly the same but with no middleman (thank you, Mark S.) and exchanged some e-mails with "Emma". In the end, we spent 13 days at the base and we are happy we went there. Here some facts, pros and contras.

PRICE- We paid 60 dollars a day pro person. This included lodging, three meals a day and training (also so much mineral water as you can drink). If you book through cntttc and not directly with zdtttb@yahoo.com.cn, it would cost 100 dollars a day (!!!). No need to pay any money in advance but you have to take the dollars cash (with "new" notes so that they can take the money to the bank). Anyway, Emma will answer every previous question you have, no matter how many e-mails you write. If you want transfer from Beijing to the Base in ZhengDing, it costs 1600 Yuans (about 260 dollars), one way (it takes more than three hours to get there) but you can also go by train (very cheap for western standards).

LODGING- This is China. Is it the equivalent to a 3 star hotel? Well, in our opinion, the rooms at the "new" hotel are quite OK. We have been there in the beginning of October, so it was not so hot. Anyway, you have air conditioning, a little fridge (a bit noisy but we disconnected it at nights), a washing machine (no need to take so many T-shirts, they provide you with the washing powder for free), TV, Internet (no problem with e-mails or Skype but no Facebook or Youtube in China unless you get the appropriate software, for example VPN). The room was much better than we expected after having read the other two reviews (and we are Swiss ;-)

MEALS - Again, this is China. It is true that the meals were a bit repetitive (always Chinese food), but it is a fact that every time you have five or six different things to eat and nobody tells you that you have to eat from everything every time. We foreigners (or special guests, as you prefer) ate on our own at the dining room (we were only four at the time) and we had the feeling the people cooking there tried their best to please us. If you are picky about meals (you need dairy products or you expect a steak or something like that) you will have a problem. But the meals contain everything that is necessary to be properly nourished. It is also true that we stayed only two weeks and we like Chinese food (but the first thing we ate on our coming back in Switzerland was a good Fondue).

TRAINING AND LANGUAGE - There are different levels, of course (the boys playing in the best two groups would be at the top of the ranking in Switzerland, no doubt). My son got into a group where he fitted quite OK. I am 52 years old and a beginner but I decided to take advantage of my staying there and I trained as well, partly with the small kids and partly with a coach dedicated to me (15 dollars for two training sessions a day). They train hard and we noticed how tired we were already after a couple of days. They also have a gym with lots of machines you can use any time you want. Something is clear, if you get there, you get there to practice table tennis, table tennis and table tennis. The coaches speak very little English but you get along with gestures, a couple of words and, if necessary, calling Emma to come and translate for you.

MOVING AROUND ZHENGDING - If you are interested in culture, ZhengDing offers you some interesting places but you have to get the information on the internet before you visit them because they do not have much information in English. We found our way around with a GPS, always taking care of the chaotic traffic. Taxis are cheap. Also you have to get used to be stared at when walking around since there are not many non-Chinese people in town. Pollution is a problem there.

IN SHORT, if you want to spend some time practicing table tennis, this can be your place. If you are going alone and planning to spend there more than a month, you will need to be physically and mentally strong. I do not know how things are in Summer about other guests and heat. Autumn is a good time to go (with somebody else). If you can, learn some Chinese before you get there: you'll be glad for any Chinese word you have learned.

Visited October 2012

Moscow, Russia
“China table tennis never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

My friend said: Don't go to China they will cheat you. He was completely right. Here is my story:

I found a training center on www.cntttc.org website. I paid for 1 month training 3090 € and I was asked to bring to the bigboss two bottles of Bombay sapphire dry gin as present. Now some pro's and contras:

Pro's: I meet there some very friendly people even chinese people. Training is acceptable, players have a good level.

Contras:

- I paid for 3 star hotel room. In fact they wanted to give me a dirty hostel like room. I had pay about 300 dollars extra in order to get a better room. First I refused paying but they started to frighten me saying that they go to the judge and I cannot leave china until the judge won't decide.
- Even the better room was not well cleaned. Sometimes it was very smelly as well. Fridge was noisy, they didn't exchange it. I had to wash the towels myself. They exchanged bed sheets only once during my stay that is to say during 1 month.
- Nobody speaks english. There were some translators but they spoke very bad english. Coaches do not speak english at all thus you can't discuss anything with them.
- Food really bad and we had to eat from dirty trays. Service is annoying.
- Pollution is very high everywhere. You can smell petrol and smoke in the training room. Coaches smoke just next to the training room what I found very weird.
- Training is just nothing special. Players have good level but I think there is no big secret. We made every day the same basic topspin block exercises, multiball training and service training.

To sum up everything it was a bad decision to go there. If you want to go there then I would not recommend the agency www.cntttc.com but the hotel. They organise also the transport from the airport and you pay for the same service instead of 120 dollars only 60 per day. The website of the hotel is http://www.cttazd.com/index.html

Visited August 2011
Zhengding County, China
“Horrible Experience!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

I am writing in to caution travellers from Europe, USA or any of the other English speaking countries who are thinking of learning to play table tennis at the CNTTTC at Hebei, China.
First of all, CNTTTC is an agent that recruits for the Zhengding training base, located in the town of Zhengding in the province of Hebei, China. The website of CNTTTC is full of lies about the services they provide. They charge upto 4 times more than what you would have to pay if you went to the Zhengding base directly. On their website, they advertise that you would be put up in a 3 star hotel like room. But in truth, what you get is a filthy, small, student hostel room for about 100 American Dollars/day. The bathrooms are never cleaned inspite of repeated requests. The food sucks!! CNTTTC's website charges you for car pick-up from and to the airport. They charge you for a driver and translator. But all of us here who came through CNTTTC paid for the car pick-up(included in the overall cost) but were transported by train and bus. the translator was never to be found. After repeated requests for a discussion on the matter, we were told(by the translator who arrived by now) that this is how it is and we could take it or leave it!!(after they took our money upfront). The testimonials on their website are all fake and some of them were dated when we we were present there(when we knew we were the only foreigners present)
As for the training itself at the zhengding base, it is good. Extra attention was given when we requested for it. The coaches made sure that focus and more practice was given on the weaknesses of the player. But you don't need CNTTTC to go there. The direct mail-id of the base is zdtttb@yahoo.com.cn. Response can be a little slow so might want to try a little ahead.

Visited January 2012