“Marvellous” 5 of 5 stars

Heidelberg, Germany
8 attraction reviews
“Marvellous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Location: Battle Harbour is an island just off the coast of Labrador. You reach it by means of a ferry that makes the return trip between the island and Mary’s Harbour twice daily. Cars are not permitted on the island, but there is a car park at the ferry terminal in Mary’s Harbour. So, if you're looking for quiet relaxation (as I was), this is the place.

Reception: I was given a warm welcome at the start of my two-night stay here. The staff and volunteers were, in fact, great for the whole of my time on the island.

Accommodation: My room was in the cottage, one of several accommodations available. It’s the first time in a long time that I’ve shared a bathroom while travelling, but this was not a problem. As it was the first week the facility was open for the 2012 season, there weren’t many people about! My room was very comfortable and had a great view. There's no phone, TV or Internet in the accommodation, but I was happy to do without all that for a couple of days!

Food and drink: There is one choice for each meal and the food is home-cooked. You sit at long tables in what used to be the mess hall for the fishermen who worked here. This makes for a friendly atmosphere, which I appreciated. The food was tasty, and reasonably priced.

You can self-cater if you prefer. You can get your supplies in the general store, which also includes some gift items.

Various amenities are available. There are some rather good museum displays and there is a guided tour of them every afternoon. The guide is excellent. Alternatively, some short hiking trails are marked out on the island; if you prefer more challenging trails, you can go over to Caribou Island, just across the “tickle”, and walk the trails there. I did the latter and didn’t regret it.

Some organized entertainment is also offered.

I was genuinely sad when I had to leave Battle Harbour. Absolutely recommended.

Visited June 2012

Bryan, Texas
“Texans visit Battle Harbour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Fabulous experience back in 2002. We watched whales chase little fish into a cove so close to us that we could almost touch them. Little dog got so excited that I thought he might jump in to catch one. Watched a parade of icebergs pass the island. Mike Earle (the manager) gave us a wonderful tour and convinced us to spent the night in Isaac Smith's historic home with a wood stove to keep us warm and kerosene lamps for light. It was all magic and our home in Texas seemed to far and so different. In our world travels, this is one of my favorite places.

Visited June 2012
Labrador City, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“Wow, what a beautiful relaxing place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I spent our anniversary this year by overnighting at Battle Harbour National Historic Site. What a beautiful place to visit. We had just an absolutely wonderful time. Our only regret was we couldn't stay longer. Battle Habour is a restored fishing village from the late 1800's. There are wonderfuly restored fishing premises and other building on this tiny island, 9 miles out into the Labrador Sea. Lots of artic wildflowers, very photogenic, hiking trails, and staff who go out of their way to make our stay memorable. We caught our longliner ferry from Marys Hr.which makes 2 return trips to the island each day. It was a comfortable 60 minute motor to the site. Along the way we observed lots of icebergs of all shapes and sizes drifting down from the north. The skipper slowed down so we were able to see and photograph the bergs as we passed. We had our choice of places to stay while on the island so we stayed at the RCMPolice Det. It was comfortable and had beautiful views of the ocean and "tickle" below. Our meals were prepared for us in a restored store and were tasty, abundant and mainly local fare which was nice. You could bring your own food if you wished and cook in the full kitchen in each residence. A local fisherman took us on a 2 hour tour of the site. He was very knowlegable and had a great sense of humor as well. We did a lot of hiking on the island and the one adjacent to us. Staff ferried us over the short distance by boat and picked us us when we wanted to return. It is a place everyone should visit if in the area. You won't be disappointed, even if you can only stay for the day.

“Spectacular!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We went to Battle Harbour for an overnight trip and everything from the customer service we received when making reservations to the ferry ride back was of the highest quality. All staff were friendly and personable. No request was considered out of the way. The manager met the ferry on the wharf upon arrival in Battle Harbour and greeted everyone with a handshake and personal introduction. We were guided to the General Store to register and then go the dining room for supper. Loved the family style eating where the staff ate with us!! The food was tasty and plentiful! Accommodations were clean and spacious too. The hiking trails around the islands are a delight and a wonderful reminder of what once was. Keep an eye out for old cemeteries! Be sure to join the guided tour offered by Nelson!! I already have made reservations for my next trip!!