“Nice enough place” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rancho El Sobrino Curacao

You added Rancho El Sobrino Curacao to your Saves list
Rancho El Sobrino Curacao
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Weg naar knip z/n, Sabana Westpunt 00000, Curacao   |
Nokia, Finland
“Nice enough place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

The resort is nice, clean and cozy. We(two persons) stayed in a two bedroom apartment right next to the hotel parking lot. Rooms were nice enough and there were air cons in each bedroom, but not the kitchen area which had only regular fan.

Westpoint (Westpunt) is a half an hour ride from Willemstad and about 25 min from the airport, so I really recommend renting a car if staying at Rancho el Sobrino. The restaurant at the resort wasn’t that cheap and it’s advisable to buy some basic food supplies just in case and the nearest decent shop is about 15 mites drive away from the resort. As for grocery shopping, we found two nice places; California and Centrum Supermarket Piscadera. The latter was quite big and you could buy e.g. warm pizzas, marinated beef, dairy products, fruits, cleaning supplies, wine etc. there.

The resort books their cars via Oostwest rental company, which seemed reliable and the car we got was in good condition. Their rep comes to meet you at the airport and go through the rental agreement. The car is insured for 3rd party claims, but for $10 day you can buy total coverage for all kinds of damages. The traffic isn’t bad, even in Willemstad centre. Roads in Curacao are in fairly ok condition.

The beaches nearby were ok, since they weren’t very crowded, except for Sundays when local people gather there to BBQ and relax.

Bring along mosquito repellent! This is a must at Rancho el Sobrino (and at the beach). We got bitten numerous times and the mosquitoes were a real nuisance during the nights. There are no mosquito nets in the rooms.

As for holiday destination, I think one week is enough to see Curacao and its attractions. We stayed 12 days and got little bit bored at the end. If you stay longer than 7 days, it might be good idea to go to Aruba or Bonaire for a few days, or at least spend few days at Willemstad in addition Westpoint.

Here is what I thought of the place:

+ Clean surroundings with nice plants and decorations. We also saw a humming bird for the first time while eating at the restaurant :-)
+Well located free parking space
+Good rental car and flexible rental company
+Quite friendly and helpful staff
+Quiet and nice place, where you can come and go as you please
+Good cleaning and friendly cleaners
+Enough kitchen utensils and well working kitchen equipment (stove, micro wave, coffee maker etc.)
+Nice food at the restaurant
+Good shower and enough warm water

-The mosquitoes :-(
-Wi-fi didn’t work in our room. I guess the modem is located at their office, since the reception was low or wasn’t working no matter where we tried it
-The swimming pool water smelled a little, so no swimming for us there…
-First time ever that I had to pay the total room charge upon arrival. This caught me by surprise, since I wasn’t prepared for that
- Some workers making lots of noise right next to our room. I guess they were renovating or building something…
-As avid diver for 12 year, I wasn’t that impressed with the diving center located at the resort
-The kitchen / tv area was really hot. The fan wasn’t nearly enough to cool it down
-The restaurant was quite crowded after 7 pm in the evening

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

This small resort is located at the West end of the island, a 45-60 min drive from the airport and a 45 min drive from the capital Williamstad. I recommend this resort almost solely to divers and to those look for a very relaxed, quiet vacation. We rented our room, car, and diving through them.

The Draw to Divers: They offer an unlimited dive package through Ocean Encounter's West (now called Go West Diving-owned by a Canadian guy) for $30.00 US per person. With this you get a key to a locked tank storage on site at the resort and a locked room to hang gear, and use of a rinse tank and some black bins great for carrying gear in the car. For us, we weren't planning on doing more than 3 tank dives/day, equaling $10.00 a tank per person which is pricey but considering the easy access to tanks and gear, not bad. However, we actually only ended up doing 2 tanks/day for most days as it takes a lot of time to get to all the dive sites. Now it is costing us $15/tank which is too much. They should decrease this cost significantly as it is near impossible to really get your money worth. If you rent a car (which you need to do for this island staying at this resort) I suggest renting your tanks directly from the shop if you can, that way you'll only pay $8.00/tank, but if you need weights and belt, you will pay $5.00 for that anyway, unless you can talk them down to a weekly price. In which case you end of paying total of $13.00 per person per dive, which is only $2.00 cheaper for a much greater hassle of having to drop the tanks back off before 5 pm where you could drop them at the resort. With the added convenience of hanging gear up and having somewhere to wash it. The diving on this island is great for beginners. Very small, macro photography, no larger life. Saw only 2 turtles the whole time. But you can access almost all the best dives from the shore...with minimal entrance fees (5-10 guilden each). Not a bad deal.

If you're not a diver, you'll probably be bored here. There are lots of beautiful beaches around, but not much to do. No night life. You need a car at this part of the island.

The Car Rental Experience: well this was different...you might want to rent your car through an actual company than through the resort. They rent through OostWest. Prior to our arrival, we were confirmed by email that we would have an automatic transmission, once we got the car it was a manual and the girl said that's all they had. She was the same person who confirmed an automatic. The car was brand new and was a cute comfortable Kia Picanto, nice AC. We received the car with empty gas...which is the last thing you want to do after flying is go get gas on a island you haven't had a chance to get familiar with. Returning the car was a disaster, we asked to be driven to the airport from the resort and leave the rental there but we had to be out of room by noon and our flight left 520 pm so they told us to drop it off at the airport. She said there would be an OostWest representation waiting there for the car at 3 pm, when we got there we waited till 430pm until the guy finally arrived. That was nerve wracking as we thought we could miss our flight. Horrible experience. Rent your car through a Budget or something directly.

The Room: We rented the studio. Room was clean, had a stove top, microwave, coffee maker, blender, fridge and sink. Supplied with cutlery, dishes, pots, but the pan we had was the size of my hand...so that limited cooking. No oven. Bathroom was standard and clean. Sliding door to balcony. Bed..standard for the Caribbean. What I would have liked: they give you only a sheet, not a real blanket, which I find difficult to sleep with, when asked for a real blanket they said they didn't have any, and to turn down the AC (which is awesome). There were A LOT of ants around the sink..bring an ant trap and keep everything really clean, it's the Caribbean and you'll probably find them in most hotels.

The Restaurant: The food was really tasty here, but I found you pay a lot for a small portion. It wasn't consistent. The first day my bf had lionfish and he got a decent size portion, the next time he had it it was like 3 little pieces but still Delicious he said. They serve espresso not brewed coffee and it costs 4 guilden..kind of pricey, so buy some and make it in your room. Service was alright, the servers were very nice, but it was pretty slow..island time I get lol, everywhere we ate was like that, and everywhere was expensive, even groceries.

All and all, I would recommend staying here for the price it costs to stay, but keep in mind you are far from the night life. MAKE SURE YOU BUY the DRIVE AND DIVE map, you won't figure out the roads without it!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
cape coral
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

Don't visit Curacao without staying at this lovely mini resort. Although small in size, the apartment we stayed in was a huge 2 story model. This was not foreseen. We had too much room. Imagine that........ It had a full kitchen with a balcony upstairs that you could see the ocean in the not too far distance. Need a towel?...no problem, the staff jumped right on it. Normally I have found hotel staff in Island getaways to be rude and such..NOT the case here..Everyone was friendly. We were constantly asked by the friendly staff if we needed anything.The little resort caters to SCUBA divers with air tanks delivered daily and facilities to wash your gear with a locker room for the evening dry. Having been to Curacao numerous times we stayed at the finest, we stayed at the most rugged, and then we found this place..PERFECT..I was so comfortable I thought I was home..We stayed there 10 days and loved it. I recommend, my wife recommends and the couple we met there recommends this to all types and budgets. We are a frugal couple that has been all over the world, stayed at many places and this is a keeper.The place was clean. We did have to ask for extra bed pillows (no problem). Their only downfall was the cheap bathroom tissue. I need Scott 1000 sheet rolls while I am on vacation. The cheap mushy rolls don't cut it at all. That is my only suggestion. Enjoy...ask for Bianca to set you up. Meet Bali, the EVERYTHING man..He runs the restaurant, cleans the pool, waters the plants, and greets you all the day through.. He owns a floral belt that I thought was weird for a guy to wear but other than that a real help.
We were there September 6th through the 16th. We enjoyed the SCUBA diving as always. and we visited our friend Captain Goodlife who owns a nice little business in Santa Cruz a beach just 20 minutes away. He caters to people who need any type of boat transportation ie: divers, snorklers and sight seers. He is 5 minutes from The Mushroom Forest and a beautiful cave called The Blue Room. Youtube Captain Goodlife. My honest recommendation to all people visiting Curacao is if you need a great place to stay and want local entertainment and something fun to do this is the place to be! If you want to buy Real Estate in Florida than see stresslessrealty.com :>) me! And that's how we do it. We meet good honest people and share our experience with others.

St. Gallen, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

The hotel facitily is really nice decorated with plants, it's well-kept and beautiful colored in red an yellow. The rooms are also very clean, also the bathroom and all which belongs to it.
The hotel offers a good infrastructure for divers. Booking a non-limit diving package, the diver get a key for the drying room and also for the room in which the diver find filled tanks. The office of this diving school is only few minutes away from the resort.
For me, the restaurant is a small, friendly oasis with great food, nice music in the background and an awesome ambience. But what is an oasis without water? The water for this oasis is proverbially Balie. If I need a cord for my camera, cleaning stuff for my cars window or somebody for small talk, I could count on Balie, he's very helpful. At this point, Thank you again my friend for all you've done for me.
The whole team in Rancho el Sobrino does a good job, Well done! I felt like I'm at home.
If you are in Curaçao, it would be a great idea to stay in Rancho el Sobrino. If you stay in another resort, drive to the Rancho el Sobrino for dinner and meet this great guy Balie. It's everytime worthwile!

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

I was directed to the hotel by some co-workers (I support an institution on the island but don't live there) and had a very nice time. Bianca and Bali (run the resort) are very attentive to your needs and the room and grounds were very clean and comfortable as well. I've never stayed anywhere else in West Point but good luck to the other resorts matching my stay at Sobrino. Stay there if you can, you won't regret it. Brian.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Lagundo, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

We planned on a trip for a couple of nights to Curacao. On the site of El Sobrino we were offered a very nicy last minute discount. However when we arrived at El Sobrino they couldn't find us in their system. It appeared the system doesn't accept internet bookings at all....
They found us an appartment, sadley it wasn't cleaned, no gas available and no towels. We made a booking for a studio de luxe, but didn't find any luxe at all!!! A broken couch, no kitchensupplies as promised, poor shower, no bedlamp or any luxe.
The last evening there was live music...till late...although it was planned till 9 pm.
In the end we had to skip our divingtrip the next morning, because we didn't sleep untill very , very late . We talked to the staff, but unfortunataly other, partying guest were more important....
Don't go there if you wish a good night sleep, rest and a nice apartment!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
ranbi, Manager at Rancho El Sobrino Curacao, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
The guests stayed 2 nights. We just started to use our web engine and the booking was made one day before and not yet in the system. Upon arrival of the guest we instantly gave them a free upgrade to a one bedroom Apartment. The room was clean but we had to put towels. This took 5 minutes and was not a problem for the guests. All Apartments are fully furnished and have a gas bottle for the kitchen. It can happen that the gas finishes and we change it instantly.

Once a month we have live music at our Restaurant. The Restaurant was full with many guests enjoying as normally Westpoint is very quiet and not much happening. The music finished at midnight.
Scheveningen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

This is one of these places that you see when you pass by accident and you love instantly. We pulled the car over and had a very nice dinner with a very nice host (Balie). We had t-bone and mahi mahi and regretted that we didn't stay here for a longer time. We recommend this place for a nice relaxing stay, a very good dinner and some diving. Forget Mambo beach, come here!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Rancho El Sobrino Curacao? Share your experiences!