“Looking for a local flair?” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
inverness, Florida, USA
“Looking for a local flair?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

We visited for dinner in Feb 2014. It looks kinda sketchy on the outside, in fact we almost didn't go in because of this but wow, what an experience. We were happily greeted by the owner and he reviewed the food selections available. We were looking for something different so we tried the Iguana, OMG, so tasty (texture of chicken but much more tender). At night they have wildlife flying around which at first was kind of disconcerting but by the end of the meal it seemed to be a natural fit for the vibe. We actually loved everything and if we ever go back to Curacao, this is on our "must go" list! Great food, excellent experience, don't be put off by the outside appearance.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I was so excited to visit this restaurant because I really wanted to try local cuisine here in Curacao-especially the iguana. The restaurant is super cool and eclectic. The staff couldn't be bothered to serve us. I had to ask 3 times for water and I only got one, apparently there are no refills with water here. We ordered and waited 90 minutes for our food, but only after I walked up the to owner and asked him to check on the order for us. As soon as that happened the food instantly appeared. and it appeared cold. Obviously it had just been sitting there. Not worth the undisclosed prices and it was defiantly a waste of precious time on my vacation. I would NOT recommend this.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Panama City, Panama
“This is a famous local place in westpund”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

The owner is very nice. He sits with you and tells you the menu.
The restaurant has a front garden full of birds, it is very nice.
We got fish for lunch, the food is good (not amazing food). We paid $45 for 2 lunches and 2 soft drinks. I don't think that we would go back, one time was ok for the experience.
They give you I love Jaanchies stickers with the check (nice touch!)

Visited April 2014
Stittsville, Ontario
“Unexceptional - Food Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

My husband and I returned recently from a 10 night stay in the Westpunt area of Curacao, and dined one night at Jaanchies. It is a different sort of experience, some of which was enjoyable. We were seated in big rocking chairs where we ordered drinks and the owner visited the table to tell us what our dining options were. There are no menus, so other reviewers are correct in saying that you have no idea what you will be paying. We wanted to eat fish, and were talked into a meal that consisted of two different fish dishes, with a side of goat stew, as I love goat and wanted to try it. Our drinks had barely arrived, when we were asked to move to our table for dinner and it was brought out to us. While it was okay, it was not overly impressive. The fish was covered in a tomato based sauce that basically concealed any taste of the fish (did enjoy the rice and beans that came with it), and my second seafood choice of conch was not overly palatable, and I left most of it behind. My husband's 2nd seafood choice was shrimp, and he wasn't too keen on it either. I quite liked the goat stew that we were brought a taste of.

During dinner, we loved watching the many bats that are attracted to a feeder in the garden area of the front of the restaurant. When our plates had been removed, we were brought a small piece of some sort of cake, which wasn't bad, but as neither of us are dessert people, we would not have ordered it if asked. When we asked for the bill, they struggled to make change for us, going so far as to ask another customer if he could break a $50 bill, and then when they found change, bringing us more than we were owed (which, of course, we returned to them).

One should note that Jaanchies closes at 8:00 and if you show up much after 7:00, the owner is not likely to let you in. We did not need a reservation, nor did we experience any of the long delays that others talked about in their reviews (in fact, we were quite surprised at how quickly the meal was served to us - and could have used a little longer to linger over and enjoy our pre-dinner drinks), but definitely didn't feel it was worth returning to. The food was not at all exceptional, and we agreed that the meals we were eating at our townhome rental cooked on our own barbeque were much more enjoyable to us.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Willemstad, Curacao
“Classic tourist trap”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Very hard to tell what your final bill will be. There is no menu that I'm aware of. The owner, Mr. Personality a.k.a. Jaanchi, cruises the dining room (where you can wait for a minimum of 30" umntil he gets to you) and convinces you that you will love this or that dish. The food itself is decent but sort of an ordeal to get it and you have no idea what it might cost.

The charm of the place is the dozens of sugar-stocked birdfeeders which attract so many beautiful birds (bananaquits, etc.) that I'd advise you to get a table near them, so you can admire them while you wait.

Visited January 2014