“Great place to stay but remote” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten

You added The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten to your Saves list
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   144 Oyster Pond Road, Oyster Pond, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
5th Night Free/Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Oyster Pond
Aliquippa
“Great place to stay but remote”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I visited in October 2013 with a group of friends through an Interval timeshare. Our 3 bedroom - 2 bath with kitchen unit was absolutely beautiful. We had a lovely ocean view. All rooms were immaculately clean and maintained by staff on a daily basis. Anything we asked for they went out of their way to accommodate us. The service throughout the entire hotel and grounds was exceptional. Everyone we encountered greeted us and was so polite and friendly. One of the members of our group came down with a mild illness during our visit and staff was wonderful in assisting. Spa facilities were heavenly. The pool and beach area is breathtaking. The water in both is warm and so clean. Although the ocean is somewhat rocky on the bottom with a strong current we still enjoyed our time on the beach. Since it was off season there were no activities scheduled at the resort and one of the restaurants was closed for renovation. The other restaurant was open and the food and service was excellent, but the menu does not change and there are no daily specials. Pricing was consistent with other resorts. The breakfast and Sunday buffets are delicious and offer a good variety of selections. The location is definitely remote and basically one cannot walk anywhere safely so we rented a car and were able to tour the island and shop and dine elsewhere. There just was not enough activity here to keep us on the grounds, even with the casino, which was really small. All rooms and indoor areas including the casino are non-smoking, so smokers be warned. The only designated smoking areas are outside the lobby and around the pool grounds and beach. So if you are looking for a first class hotel that is remote and quiet, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
MODSXM, General Manager at The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear NannyG2013,

Thank you for providing other travelers with your insight to both the Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa and St. Maarten. I am glad that you enjoyed your condo unit at Dawn Beach Club and that our team helped to make your visit memorable. During your visit Aura, our fine dining restaurant, was closed. I am pleased to announce that it will reopen on November 1st, 2013. We also feature live music on the pool deck three nights per week (Thursday, Friday and Saturday) from 3pm until 6pm.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the "Friendly Island" of St. Maarten and the Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa in the near future.

Daniel Beddor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Hungarian first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

This is a nicely maintained property on the beach at Dawn Beach. The rooms are large and nicely kept and appointed. We have had a balcony room with a nice view of the pool area and the ocean. Their main restaurant is very nice and it is a pleasure to have an outdoor breakfast with quite a selection at the buffet. The same restaurant puts on a reasonable lunch and dinner. I have not dinned at the fine dining restaurant on premises so I have no opinion. You will need a car to get around the island as there is nothing else close by. The beach is nice but you will find it is always windy and the tide is strong. There is a very nice pool but they do not have adequate shade at all to enjoy it. You are oftentimes approached (or feel you are about to be approached) for the sale of time share units. They do have a casino that is largely empty. This is a large hotel and property.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear RMG49,

Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa and for taking the time to review our little piece of paradise. I am glad that you enjoyed the grounds, the pool and our restaurant during your vacation. Because we are on the Atlantic side of the island we do enjoy the trade-winds which help to keep everyone cool during the day. This also means that the ocean can be rougher at times compared to the Caribbean side of the island.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with other travelers. I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I surely didn't have a negative experience like many of the others who have posted on here and I will say up front that I am a Starwood Gold member and travel frequently to many places across the globe. My girlfriend and I just returned from a week at the Westin and the hotel was quiet this time of year so I asked if my membership level would get an upgrade....this was met and bumped to a King Suite Oceanfront for no extra charge. Good start. We hoped to get in earlier (arrived at 1:30pm and check-in 3pm), but the upgrade room was not yet ready so they directed us to walk around for a bit on the grounds. I was getting a little impatient when we were about 30 min past 3pm, but then a Mgr sought us out and offered us complimentary drinks by the pool. This was perfectly acceptable and a nice gesture while we waited.

For the grounds, very beautiful and the hotel I felt was also quite clean and well taken care of. As others have stated Dawn Beach is definitely off of the beaten path, but that is what we wanted. If you want nightlife nearby stay in Simpson Bay area. Dawn Beach is fantastic and quite large. Decent snorkeling available right off of the beach, but also as others have said the current is much stronger on this part of the island so use caution. One thing we found that made it much easier was to walk down the beach a ways and then simply drift snorkel with the current. You can do this with ease and easily cover a couple hundred yards or so in about 20 minutes. Related to the room, it was very clean and spacious. The maid service did a fine job and timed it well when we were out exploring.

Overall Positives:
- Great location for a romantic retreat
- Clean and nice rooms
- Very friendly service always willing to help
- Reasonable rates during off-peak season
- With a rental car you can experience the entire island w/ease

Negatives:
- ** Biggest Negative** is that you are aggressively approached by members of the connected Dawn Beach Club to sit through a timeshare presentation (3 hrs). I was fortunate to already know about this ahead of time so I politely told the ladies to beat it, but the hotel should definitely step in and tone down this level of hyper ambush marketing. Very annoying.
- The remoteness of location (only if you wish to be in short distance to nightlife)
- There are a lot of hidden fees (resort fee, etc) and service charges to be aware of

Overall, I'd recommend this resort especially for a romantic getaway or family gathering. Not the place for a group of friends looking to be close to the action.

Room Tip: Worth the extra money to get an ocean view room and worst case scenario request an upgrade upon chec...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this resort for almost a week on vacation and loved it. We had a rental car and found this hotel (relatively) easily and it was also convenient for us to drive to various attractions on the island. The property was in good shape and the rooms were quite nice (i.e., similar to other newly renovated / new corporate Westin hotels). The resort's location was also very quiet. The only negative was the beach itself, the sand was not great and the beach area was quite small. But we just went elsewhere for our beach time. Beautiful pool and spa also.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I am an owner at DBC adjacent and connected to the Westin. It is beautiful. Oceanview and tranquility is worth the investment. Highlights thusfar..travelling this time with friends...3 females total.....arrived with mindset of being hypervigilent due to visiting and island and wanting to be safe..LOL..total opposite..kept loosing things...in essence, learned appreciation for "mom/wife" role...much more attentive than when only worrying about me.
Currently still on vacation... rented a car from Alamo...left computer, passports and other personal items; and when I arrived at resort and realized, Alamo had already secured my belongings and attempted to contact. Decided to go from there to Cheri's Café..then Prive hookah bar..left items just secured in the car..unknown to us ;left back window open with items in car...guess what..items still there..I know..what idiots..just being honest.
On our way to Cupecoy, left safe open with jewelry, lots of cash , Passports, etc...immediately turned around... when we arrived 15 min later... security had been called by Enna Sanon and Elmor the Claude to secure our valuables in the event we did not return... Blessings to them and their family always...Muah!
While visiting Cupecoy...once again,, caught up in our freedom and picture taking..left knapsack.....Marina restauraunt represent came to find us at the grocery store and inquire if we left an item...in essence.. this island gets a A+++++ from me ...my stupidity was embraced by caring trustworthy individuals...reestablished faith in humanity.
Now, rent a car.. I paid 154.00 for the week with 50.00 for liability insurance. It is a 75.00 roundtrip via cab to travel from airport ...the car paid for itself in a day/rented at the airport...steering was on the left side...and drove on rightside of road...just like in NY and PA. So far have visited Simpson Bay..Orient Bay (beautiful beach..lots of nudity/mostly older adults..one or two Bo Derecks to make you want to shield your kids eyes or keep hubby nearby..nothing over the top or distasteful going on...seems to be more appreciation for body..embracing good and bad..lol). Off season beaches are not crowded and enjoyable... Cupecoy is beautiful for pictures.. not my choice for much else, ...unless travelling with a mate or adult friends.. beautiful isolated golden colored caves, rough sea .... Danny's restauraunt is there and they will look out for you while you explore , eat, drink and feel safe in your loneliness; and you can get a massage on the beach.....saw more male nudity here; adult atmosphere in my opinion..views were great .
Cheris café ..20.00 good meal with food , drink and a show...worth it...cheap, fun and excellent service
Maho beach... good view of airplanes arriving..cheap drinks and expensive laughter for reasonable price...whole island one big circle...we are travelling from French side to Dutch side without a problem....and finding great bargains . High end shops available too in Marigot and Phillipsburg, . Island has many people from France, Netherlands, DR..Dominica, Haiti, Jamaica. etc...you will find local restauraunts cooking their island foods from scratch..that will,make you feel as if you are travelling the world...at the end of the day. I would not want to stay anywhere else..the Westin is in the middle of it all.. but the area, homes around it, pool and large beach area ( beautiful, warm..but rock debri when waves coming in) makes you feel as if you have your own home on the island. You'll see ...after you travel on both sides...the upscale environment of Dawn Beach is very very evident. If you research interval dawn beach club youtube video it is exactly what it looks like plus the million dollar homes adjacent to property...St. Barts is in view right outside your bedroom. Although the hotel can be expensive..explore options and it can be an affordable or ridiculous expensive vacation.

Room Tip: Oceanfront view from entire apartment as opposed to a peak of ocean.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

The Westin Dawn Beach is a beautiful property in an amazing setting. We are owners at the Dawn Beach Club and once again enjoyed our stay. The only problem with our stay was it was over too soon! The staff was friendly and very accommodating, THANK YOU ! What amazed us most is that the management was out everyday greeting everyone and checking to make sure they had everything and anything they needed. My wife and I met the companies Regional Director and were very impressed on how he would interact amongst all the guests. He greeted everyone and would pick up on conversations from the previous day that he had with the guest. Thank You for your personnel touches Dan, they were much appreciated!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
MODSXM, General Manager at The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Hello Jeffrey D,

Thank you for staying with us at Dawn Beach Club. I am glad that that you had another great vacation.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back on on your next vacation, hopefully for a longer visit next time.

Reisterstown, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Hi, Just recently myself and a group of 14 stayed at the Westin Dawn Beach resort. The service was absolutely superb. every morning at breakfast we looked forward to our waiter Simon, who truly made our morning breakfast enjoyable and pleasant. there are car rentals but who wants to drive and miss all of the view. we passed on the hustle of parking in small remote areas and choosing getting lost as a form or adventure. we were so blessed to have met a drive who pretty much became our driver for the entire week for our entire group. his name is Marcel and his company is called Landlord Taxi services cel- 1-721-581-9376. He was extremely knowledgable and scored a 1000 when taking us to restaurants. I mean absolutely fabulous, theres no way we would've know which was the best location for visit for our buck. during the day we would get transported to the french side of the island and go to the beach, where we were served lunch and drinks. this beach also doubled for a night club beach party that was wonderful. later in the evening Marcel would pick us up in a beautiful full size party bus. we felt right at home. keep in mind it was 14 of us. so we all agreed on our transportation service and best of all we only charged $7 per person each way and he waited till after our festivities which is what made him the high light of our trip, other then the luxurious hotel and amazing pull view and beach lay out. it was when we left the hotel that our trip didn't suffer one bit by having such an amazing chauffeur.
I highly recommend this hotel the service was quick with room service and the people were always cheerful. I didn't get a chance to actually go to the spa, but I was so relaxed at any event that I honestly didn't miss it. 2 thumps up to this resort.

Room Tip: the presidential suite is outstanding, you can see the dinning area and the pool from your balcony...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear imsomie,

Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa in St. Maarten. We appreciate you taking the time to provide other travelers with your great experience and insight. We will be sure to thank both Simon and Marcel for making your vacation a memorable one.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to St. Maarten and the Westin Dawn Beach in the near future.

Daniel Beddor

Been to The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten? Share your experiences!