“what it looks like, is not always what it is!!!!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten

You added The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten to your Saves list
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   144 Oyster Pond Road, Oyster Pond, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
5th Night Free/Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Oyster Pond
New York City, New York
“what it looks like, is not always what it is!!!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Not a good experience!!!!! at the Westin Dawn Beach. After spending a afternoon at their beautiful beach we were told we had to give up our chairs. We were not guess at the Hotel, but because of "New Management " change we needed to give up our chairs. We were treated poorly by the staff. They we unfriendly and very rude. We spend a great deal of time in a discussion with them from one staff member to another, each of them ended with the same rudeness. We were a family members of ten trying to enjoy the time at the beach. We were not causing any problems . We even gave though to do a 90min tour in order to stay on the beach for the day. Because of their behavior and attitude, we decide not to even do that, after all who would want to stay at a place where they are not "family friendly" .We had young children with us and for them to see the display of rudeness was very much unappreciated. Also there were others near us at the beach who were of different ethnicity, they were not ask to give up their chair's . As they were leaving we asked if they were guess at the Hotel they said no! I would hate to think that the color of our skin had something to do with our hardship.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
MODSXM, General Manager at The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Marilyncj,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa in St. Maarten. While all beaches in St. Maarten are public beaches we reserve the beach chairs, tables, cabanas and shade tents exclusively for the current overnight guests of the Westin and Dawn Beach Club. In order to provide our guests with the relaxing and tranquil setting that they have come to expect from the Westin we do not rent chairs to others that are not staying with us. This also ensures that our guests have full use of the resort and our amenities.

In the future, I hope we will be able to welcome you as a guest of the Westin and that you will be able to enjoy all that we have to offer.

Daniel Beddor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Hungarian first
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife and I stay frequently at Starwood properties and, sadly, have been disappointed by their lineup generally in the Caribbean (loosely defined). The Westin Lucaya was one of the worst experiences we have ever had at a resort. For this reason, we were hesitant about the Dawn Beach but this property is perhaps one of the best we have stayed at in the geographic area. The rooms are clean and very nicely appointed. This is true for all the rooms on property, not just the upper tier rooms. We had a basic room overlooking the pool and Dawn Beach itself. Great. Also, the food in the on-property restaurant rivaled that off property in the environs. This property is very close to the French side and if one were to stay there, I would recommend highly spending the time there as opposed to on the Dutch side. The only downsides to the property as I see it are (1) that the workout room is small and not very well air-conditioned. I am guessing here that they either assume that no one going to St. Maarten goes there to work out or they intend this to double as a sauna; and (2) that despite the fact that we were there for five days and saw the same individuals daily, every time we walked to the lobby or parking garage, we got asked to buy a timeshare. The same lady must have asked me 20 times. I realize that this is part of the deal but perhaps they could be trained a little better. Or, perhaps I am not that memorable..... That said, I would recommend this property and plan to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Martin B,

Thank you for visiting us at the Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa in St. Maarten. I am glad that you enjoyed the resort and were able to explore all that St. Maarten/St. Martin has to offer. I will be sure to share your feedback about the AC in Westin Fitness Studio with our engineering team. While our Fitness Studio may not be as large as some other resorts it is fully equipped with new Life Fitness treadmills, elliptical machines, free weights, and a universal machine. Many guests will utilize the Fitness Studio either in the morning before starting their day or in the afternoon while taking a break from the pool and the beach.

Thank you again for taking the time to review the Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa. I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Montgomery, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

we stayed at the condos (time share exchange)next to the hotel. I was very disappointed as I had requested a view and what I got was looking at another building! I also had to request wash clothes 3 different days out of 7 days. The maids always bought towels daily but no wash clothes...the time share presentation was a total waste of time and the worse one we have ever attended! The beach was ok but too many rocks as this property is on the Atlantic side and not Caribbean. The beach was clean and hardly anyone there during the month of August. A car is a must, as this property is away from everything.
When I return to St. Maarten, I will not stay at this property.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
MODSXM, General Manager at The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Dear Lisastew,

Thank you for visiting us at Dawn Beach Club and the Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa in St. Maarten. During the dates that you were vacationing in St. Maarten our condos and timeshare units were fully occupied. The majority of our owners have purchased specific units which can limit our availability for other guests. We try to accommodate each guests request for a certain view, location or floor preference however there are times when we are unable to because of our occupancy.

I will be sure to share your feedback with our housekeeping team to ensure that they are replacing the correct amount of towels and wash clothes. Thank you for sharing that with us.

I hope that enjoyed enjoyed exploring the island of St. Maarten and we hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the future.

Parker, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

What an amazing place. We traveled here from August 23-31 and like another reviewer had mentioned had the place to ourselves. The beach was amazing, the villas are Hugh and gorgeous. 3 bedroom on the beach with a nice lain to watch the sunrise and sunset. The pool was beautiful. We rented a car which is a must to see all of the island. Best beach was Happy Beach, it is a 10 minute hike but worth every minute. Incredible. All the beaches were great but that was the best. Don't forget to eat at Pineapple Pete's as well as Busbys. Both very good. I can't say enough about St. Martin, a very nice place to vacation and relax.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
MODSXM, General Manager at The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear kborn2shop1,

Thank you for staying with us at Dawn Beach Club and the Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa. We appreciate you taking the time to post a review about your vacation. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit to St. Maarten.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We did a timeshare exchange to stay at the Westin Dawn Beach and were thrilled. The three bedroom suites are large, updated, and clean. Traveling in August was amazing - it was not crowded. We had the beach nearly to ourselves. The staff was nice, the hotel prices were not exorbitant. It is hands down the best timeshare location we've ever experienced through an exchange. It is true that there is not much to do close by - you will need a car to truly enjoy the island, but that is not a negative for the location. Very relaxing and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear RSquaredFamily,

Thank you for staying with us at Dawn Beach Club and the Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa. I am glad that you enjoyed the tranquil setting of Dawn Beach and your condo unit. I always recommend that our guests rent a car for part of their visit to be able to enjoy all that St. Maarten has to offer.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to St. Maarten and the Westin in the near future.

Willemstad, Curacao
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The service was excellent. The room was of a very high standard with a luxurious bathroom. The location at the beach is very nice. I was in Sint Maarten for business and enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The hotel staff is well trained. The room service was good. I would also recommend to visit the spa. The only thing that was out of tune was the lunch and dinner at the restaurants. Some of the dishes were not very well prepared.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear SiegfriedKenswil,

Thank you for taking the time to share your travel experience with other guests. I am glad that you enjoyed the service, the room and the resort. I will be sure to thank our associates that helped to make your visit a memorable one.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa in the near future.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights over Memorial Day weekend 2013. Had mixed expectations due to the other reviewers on Trip Advisor. This resort has a beautiful location and a lot of potential that it does not take advantage of.

THE GOOD:
The pool area and beach is probably the only luxurious part of this property. There were some other reviewers who mentioned that there is no shade, which I was worried about, but there are 20 cabana-type umbrellas which are first come, first serve (no charge).

There is an option to rent cars at the resort, which we were glad we took advantage of. We took our rental car to Orient Beach and set ourselves up at the Palm Beach Club there which we recommend.

THE BAD:
We felt this property fell short of Westin standards. For starters, there is a giant stain on the carpet that welcomes you as you enter the dark lobby. The rooms are very minimalistic with limited decoration. We also felt there was a lack of attention to detail when it came to cleaning the rooms. We found loose hairs from the previous guest on the floor of the closet, a stain on the upholstered arm chair, and worst of all stains on the wall behind the toilet. All of these things could have easily been fixed by housekeeping during the room changeover and we were expecting more from a Westin property. The bed was clean and comfortable, which is most important.

The food at the resort was very mediocre and you do not get what you pay for. The lunch options around the pool are passable, but we recommend skipping the breakfast at Ocean and the dinner at Aura. There are MUCH better options for the same amount of money such as Ocean 82 and Sol e Luna in Grand Case or Mario's Bistro in Marigot. (Fran the concierge is awesome with booking reservations at any of those spots). Another good alternative is Mr. Busby's which is a (treacherous) walk down the beach from the hotel. They have a decent breakfast for very reasonable prices and in the afternoon they sell Bahamian beer for $1.

Lastly, there is quite a mix of vacationers at this resort. There were plenty of couples of all ages looking to have a nice and relaxed vacation, but also young partiers in their 20s that were drinking all day and acted as if they had the whole place to themselves. At one point my boyfriend looked out the window and saw another couple engaging in what should be a private act on their balcony. Justsoyaknow, that kind of behavior takes place there.

If we return to St. Maarten we plan to either spring for a nicer hotel on the French side or renting a property so that we can avoid the high costs of mediocre food at resorts like the Westin. If you can afford it, it seems like St. Barth's is a better destination overall.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Justsoyaknow,

Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa in St. Maarten. I am glad that you enjoyed the beach and the pool settings. It is a great place to be able to unwind and rejuvenate. We have two options for guests that would like some relief from the sun. On the beach we have small blue shades that fit directly over the beach chairs and we also have large cabanas for rent on both the beach and the pool deck.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy the furnishings in our guestrooms and that there were areas that housekeeping missed. This should not have happened. I will be sure to share your feedback with our housekeeping team.

I also apologize that you did not enjoy some of your meals while staying with us. We feature a full breakfast buffet in Ocean Restaurant with made-to-order omelettes, waffles, fruit, cereal, bacon and sausage. We also have an ala carte menu with a variety of items including healthy options featuring the Superfoods. We have many guests that return each year whose vacation would not be complete without dining in Aura. Aura is our four diamond steak, chop and seafood restaurant featuring an award winning wine list.

The Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa welcomes a wide variety of guests including couples, honeymooners, families and business travelers. We encourage our guests to have a great time however if there is any inappropriate behavior taking place we would prefer that is reported to the management team. This will allow us the opportunity to have it addressed with all involved. I, personally, have never been informed of "private" acts taking place on one of the balconies at the resort.

I hope that you enjoyed your vacation to St. Maarten. If you are planning a future visit I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa.

Daniel Beddor

Been to The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten? Share your experiences!