“Affordable, Clean but the food is terrible!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten

You added The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten to your Saves list
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   144 Oyster Pond Road, Oyster Pond, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
5th Night Free/Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Oyster Pond
Miami, Florida, United States
“Affordable, Clean but the food is terrible!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Good:
The Concierges were top notch. The room, pool and jacuzzi were beautiful. The Casino was a bit gimmicky but that's not why you are there. If you want to be away from the crowds and the touristy areas this is a good alternative. You must have a car to get there (Free parking). The beach is not good, compared to ALL the other beaches around, but you have a car to check out Bay Rouge, Orient Bay, Sunset Beach and of course you are 10 min away from Philipsburg were you can (and must) take a short ferry ride to stunning St. Barth. (about $99 per person). Drinks are affordable and free while you gamble. The night rate was surprising low, but this might be because you need to rent a car to get there.

The bad:
The food in this hotel (specifically Ocean Restaurant) is TERRIBLE and very expensive. $150 for microwaveable rice and vegetable medley (I know the taste) and some fish fillet, I feed my meal to the cats around the restaurant (Not a Joke). The Hotel does not have a kitchenette so you have very limited food options(Specially at night) and can not take advantage of the great supermarkets on the French side. To be fair there are several restaurant next door at Oyster Pond. Our AC broke twice, but they were right up and fixed it within minutes. Breakfast was decent with an Omelet station but the rate is $30 per person.

I would stay here again, if I'm able to figure out the food situation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MODSXM, General Manager at The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear EM P,

Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa in St. Maarten. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the rooms, pool and Jacuzzi. We are lucky to have such great beaches in St. Maarten. There are 37 beaches on the island and each one has its own characteristics and atmosphere.

I am truly sorry that you did not enjoy your meals at Ocean Restaurant. We encourage our guests to let us know if there is anything that was not made to their liking so that we can remedy the issue and make it right for our guests. The last thing we want is for a guest to leave the restaurant or resort unhappy. I can assure you that we do not serve microwaveable rice and vegetables.

Our guestrooms do not feature cooking facilities. We do offer two restaurants, a swim-up pool bar, a pool deli, a lobby bar and 24 hour in-room dining.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to St. Maarten and the Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa.

Daniel Beddor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Hungarian first
North Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Very quiet, rooms are ok, but had to switch rooms upon arrival because of smell, Was later told rooms rugs need to be changed. Have to have patience since people behind counter work one speed. Casino is absolutely dead at night, so you need to go out for any entertainment. They need more help at restaurants though food was ok. Beach is nice but water is defenitely rough with tough current. Very windy everyday which can be blessing with heat. Not bad if looking for somewhat inexpensive place, but definetly not 5 star, 3 star maybe. One really annoying thing is being asked about buying time-share over and over in hallways. Very annoying when on vacation. But like i said, what you want for 149$ a night

Room Tip: Just check before going to room because of musty smell
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear vmctrader,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa. I sincerely apologize for any defects with your original room. I am glad that our team was able to move to a room better room. Dawn Beach is located on a quieter area of the island, which many of our guests enjoy. Because we are on the Atlantic side of the island we enjoy trade winds which helps with the heat during the day. This also causes the water to be a little rougher that the Caribbean side of the island.

I hope that you enjoyed your Caribbean vacation and that we will be able to welcome you back in the future.

York, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

This is a lovely property and we enjoyed our stay a lot. Long weekend for me and my adult daughter. A little hard to find, but once there ... staff is friendly, free parking under cover is a big plus. Oyster Bay right next door and there are several excellent restaurants there, plus the best ever snorkeling company (Captain Alan). Hotel breakfast buffet is excellent. Beach bar is fun and there were parties with entertainment by the pool each afternoon. There is some systemic problem with checkin ... we arrived at 4 PM and had to wait 2 hours for room. Each day we were there we saw large groups of people sitting in the lobby with their luggage long after the cleaning people had gone home. And this was in the low season ... hotel was by no means full. That was puzzling and seemed very unnecessary. Time share people are a bit aggressive, as noted by others. However, once they realized I was REALLY not interested they left me alone. It is impossible not to walk by them between sleeping rooms and lobby. All in all ... enjoyed our stay a lot. Beach is fabulous, pool wonderful and I would stay there again.

Stayed July 2013
Marina del Rey, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Great place to relax and be spoiled. Try the hibiscus spa for a half day and don't forget st Bart's and Anguilla are nearby. The restaurants at the hotel are amazing (don't miss the Sunday Brunch at ocean blue). Aura is another restaurant that is really good. Timeshare ownership is great here.

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

So I thought I had written a review about this place given that I was so utterly disappointed but I guess I wrote it on some other traveler or rating website. Anyhow, first I converted a tank load of AMEX points to SPG points which converts 3 to 1 to get this hotel and it was such a mistake!!! Its not that nice, not that clean and so FAR from everything, yes granted you do have to drive everywhere on the island but not only was this on the Dutch side it wasn't on the happening part of the Dutch side.
My husband and I truly hated driving from and to the hotel so much so that we'd basically pack for all day of beach and going out to fine dining restaurants at night because we knew we'd never come back to the hotel to shower and change and not look homeless. I'm not kidding. It's on a part called Half moon bay which is this area that only has hotels on top of a mountain, with nothing else around it.
I also did smell something like sewage in our bathroom that I discovered smelled like it was coming out of the shower, which ironically was the nicest part of the room because they had these large glass square showers which I love. That ruined the shower experience for me as well since I was trying to shower as quickly as possible to avoid this stench.
Furthermore, the hotel was not cheap. For that price I expect 5 star service and rooms.
Overall, I know everyone has their own side that they like to be on but I loved the French side. And if I ever went to St Martin again I'd stay on that side.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MODSXM, General Manager at The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear em m,

Thank you for visiting the Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa in St. Maarten back in December. I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and experience with other travelers. I am sorry that we were unable to exceed your expectations on this visit to St. Maarten and for any inconvenience that you encountered with your shower. We encourage our guests to contact us if there is any issues with their guestrooms so that we are able to get these areas corrected as quickly as possible.

The Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa is located in the Dawn Beach area of the island which is on the Dutch and French boarder. Many of our guests enjoy the quiet, tranquil area of Dawn Beach because it is removed from the busy areas such as Simpson Bay. Other than the restaurants, casino, pool and spa located at the Westin, Dawn Beach and Oyster Pond features beach bars, a marina with a grocery store, shops and great restaurants all within a short drive or walk away.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the "Friendly Island" of St. Maarten/St. Martin in the near future.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My fiancee and I decided to take a vacation in St. Maarten and were super happy with our stay at the Westin. The location is perfect - it is pretty much right on the border. We had easy access to both the french and dutch side of the island. The beach is small, private, and intimate. It was off season so we really enjoyed it there. I don't think we would have enjoyed it as much if it were peek season. The Spa here is fantastic - we both really enjoyed our massages and the staff there. The casino was fun, although i was super disappointed that the craps table was closed for most of our stay. Had it been open, i would have spent more time in the casino. Can't really comment on the hotel food, we only had breakfast and were not very impressed. Overall two thumbs up, we would def. go back.

My only complaint- the pesky time share ladies in blue and their general operation. (minus our tour guide Ivan.. he is a quality guy). My 2 cents:

Make your timeshare people less annoying. We had planned on doing the tour when we first got the invite, and actually really enjoyed Ivan (he also recommended us a fantastic place to eat-- Thx!) - but we were harassed multiple times by the ladies in blue trying to get us to sign up. One time was enough the rest of it was just super annoying. It was as if the lady didn't remember that she asked us 5 times already. To the time share finance guy Kevin-- you're selling tactics are sketchy and insulting. If you were a straight shooter from the start we would have probably gotten the time share. I don't like being told that i'm getting a free week at the hotel as a "gift" to later be told that you will take $3000 off the time share price if we declined the "gift". Sketchy... You should know who you're dealing with and just lay it out straight the first time. The main reason we declined was because the good time shares there seem to be sold already. They are trying to now sell a second building that has a fantastic view of the parking lot and the "good view" building... No thx.

Dear Kevin Y,

Thank you for choosing the Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa and St. Maarten for your vacation. I am glad that you enjoyed the location of the resort, the beach and the facilities. I will be sure to thank the team at the Hibiscus Spa for making your visit more memorable. I will be also sharing your feedback with our Casino Manager and the Dawn Beach Club Sales Manager to have the areas addressed that you mentioned.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with other travelers. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the future.

Rapid City, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a week for our honeymoon and everything was wonderful! The resort has its own private beach and is somewhat secluded on the island, which was exactly what we were looking for. There is a fun little casino, great beach bar, excellent Ocean Restaurant all on site. Everyone was so nice from the front desk to the housekeeping to the bartenders to the doormen. We never had to worry about taxis as the concierge and doormen always made sure we had a trusted taxi and they knew when to expect us back. If you do want to see the rest of Dawn Beach, there are 2 options. You can walk along the beach and over the rocks to the other side of Dawn Beach. The rocks look scary but wear shoes and stay high and dry and you'll get there! You can also pay the $5 for a taxi over to the other side of Dawn Beach. Don't walk on the roads, especially at night. The other side of Dawn Beach has some very good restaurants. I suggest Busby's Beach Bar for lunch which changes into Daniel's By the Sea at night. Both great food at excellent prices. If you're looking for a fancier meal, I recommend Big Fish (just behind Busby's).

If you're looking for a quiet, romantic getaway, the Westin is great. If you are looking for more touristy shops and sites, then you may be disappointed in the location of the Westin. One thing to remember is you're only a car ride away from any site you want to see!

Room Tip: Ocean Front room was great. Pool was generally quiet except when they have the entertainment outside...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MODSXM, General Manager at The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear KyleW54,

Congratulations on your recent wedding. We are happy that you decided to spend your honeymoon at the Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa and St. Maarten. I am glad that our associates made your visit a memorable one and that you enjoyed both the location and the resort.

Please remember to visit us again for your 1st anniversary.

Daniel Beddor

Been to The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten? Share your experiences!