“"Friendly, clean and tranquil"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten

You added The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten to your Saves list
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   144 Oyster Pond Road, Oyster Pond, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Oyster Pond
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“"Friendly, clean and tranquil"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My wife and two young adult daughters arrived at the Westin in St. Maarten in late January 2013. The staff was very friendly, competent and accomodating. I'm talking about everyone, from the doormen and bellmen, front desk, concierge, housekeepers, bartenders, and pool area and restaurant staff. The manager was a great guy named David. He took a personal interest in our needs and wants and was sincerely interested in our satisfaction. He seemed to do this with everyone, as I saw him over several days chatting with almost everyone he came in contact with, from the lobby to the pool and restaurants. The whole facility looked brand-new (I think it's two or three years old) and is kept immaculately clean. They have a casino with mostly slots and don't push it or promote it. Hardly anyone was in it the 5 days that we were there. The best thing about the casino is there's No Noise! The slots are silent. The two restaurants are very good. The breakfast buffet is excellent--everything from smoked salmon, fruit & juice, oatmeal, eggs benedict, an omelet station, sausage, bacon, potatos. Price = $22.00 p/p. Travel to anywhere requires licensed taxi service--always available. Our average fare with tip was $40 - $50 each way for the four of us. Even the taxi drivers were very friendly. Make sure you only take a licensed taxi or van. There are some crazy unlicensed drivers/vehicles. It was a relaxing 5 days, just sitting and reading at the pool and beach. Nothing much else to do. And that was fine.

Room Tip: Look at the room before you unpack -- they'll change it if you don't want it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Hungarian first
Columbus, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

My boyfriend and I were badly in need of a vacation. I'm so glad we chose The Westin. We stayed for 9 days and enjoyed each and every day there. The staff is incredibly polite, very welcoming and so knowledgable. Our hotel room was very nice and the bed was soooo cozy. The maids were incredibly thoughtful and pleasant. The only negative was that The Westin doesn't offer movies to buy and watch but they do offer HBO and Cinemax which was very nice. The pool is amazing and faces the beach. The hot tub faces the beach as well and is a lot of fun to hop into at night while listening to the waves crashing in. The staff at the pool is amazing. Everyone had a smile on their face and were very pleasant and fun to socialize with. A special thanks to Nadine who really made us feel at home. My boyfriend especially enjoyed her special drink simply called Nadine's special! While you are there you must get a deep tissue body massage, it's heaven!!! It was so good that we went back for a second one the very next day. The gift shop in the hotel is very nice but be prepared to spend some money. A tall bag of pretzels cost $10 bucks, ouch!!!! And a fashion magazine cost me $8 bucks. We also enjoyed the casino, I won $600 bucks but lost $200 thanks to my boyfriend!!!! Oh, we'll! Anyways, we enjoyed ourselves completely and will be talking about our trip for a very long time. Well done Westin, well done!

West Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Loved the Westin in St. Martin. The staff is a little slow to warm up to the guests but once they do they are truly wonderful. The grounds, pool, beach are impeccable and anything you ask for they can get you. We stayed for 8 days and certainly did not want to leave. The rooms are lovely and we had a balcony to relax on which overlooked a small courtyard. I definitely would reccommend the resort to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Southport, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

When we got there, they had no record of our reservation. They were very nice about the mix up and gave us a oceanfront room with wrap around balconies instead. It was a great room! The pool area and beach were also nice. What we didn't care for was the food. First, there was nothing open for food in the late afternoon except the inside bar and who wants to eat at an inside bar during the day at St. Martin. Since we were starving from traveling most of the day, we did eat there, but the food was awful.. Shrimp cocktail must have used frozen shrimp because they were mushy! Had dinner there late that night as well. Marginal at best. Walked to Mr. Buzby's the next day - it was much better.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

A welcoming and pleasant first stay at this resort, after our Windstar cruise. The property is clean, beautiful and promotes a feeling of relaxation. The rooms are generously-sized, as are the common areas and pool area. The beach is pristine. It is clear that the management, especially David, is attentive to the needs and requests of the guests.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

St Maarten is an island with many many beaches, if you plan to relax and enjoy a car rental is not necessary. Get a transfer from the airport to the hotel, enjoy your time in the pool, beach and then get your transfer back to the airport when you are done. If you want to do a lot of exploring, consider getting a car rental, but taxi's may still be cheaper unless you get a great deal with a car rental. A short taxi ride to Orient Beach if you like a clothing optional beach.

I was at the resort for a work function, so am not sure the price paid, however when I looked into extending my stay, I decided to stay somewhere else for the price. This is a French and Dutch Antilles islands, the prices for many things are expensive as the currency is Euros, and they also have a local currency but almost everywhere accepts US dollars.

The service at the hotel was excellent - every staff member was very friendly and helpful and I never had any concerns with the service. The casino staff are very friendly, however they need to be sure to put skilled Poker dealers on the tables, this just happened once early in the trip where it seemed like the dealer didn't know what she was doing. My recommendation as well, is better ventilation as when a few people started to smoke in the casino at the table I played at, it was hard to enjoy my playing.

The beach - I liked the beach, it was actually calmer then I would have liked it. There was a under tow drifting you down the beach, not out to the sea. I would have enjoyed it more if there were waves for me to bodysurf on, and having the first 5 feet with less rocks and stones and more sand. I still enjoyed swimming there though.

The rooms - I have no complaints at all about the rooms - the bathrooms were huge, loved the huge walk in shower, large area within the bathroom, which also included an average sized bathtub. I found the bed very comfortable with no troubles sleeping at all.

The resort was kept very clean - no concerns with this at all - I don't smoke, but I remember hearing a few people couldn't find an ashtray near the pool.

I took a tour of the spa the first day that I was there, and it was set up very nicely, wet and dry sauna, the facilities were very nice. I would recommend the spa as they have a number of services they can provide.

The breakfast in the restaurant near the pool was very nice, they needed more omelette stations, as I waited a while for an omelette, the breakfast buffet had a good assortment of food.

Would I return to this hotel? My focus is having the ability to easily access many different beaches, so I would find a hotel that is closer to a variety of beaches that is more reasonably priced if I were to travel solo to the island.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
wATERVILLE, OHIO 43566
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Great hotel, very clean the room was excellent and cleaned everyday early. The amenities were great . The hotel staff was always willing to help and very polite. The only complaint I have was the pool. It was very clean but cold. No one was swimming it is. I even took my wet suite As we had stayed there before 4 years ago and it was very windy and cold in October. Again it was windy . I don't think that was the hotels fault it is located on the Atlantic side so therefore very windy. However it was clean and the hot tub was hot. The Beach is one the most beautiful beaches I was visitied. Very nice to walk and clean and no rock shells the sand was raked every day, and no venders selling there ware. I would recommend happy hour though. Everone has one, and you found people leaving in the afternoon for one, by 2 p.m. the pool area was vacant and by 5 p.m. they were back. And if you talked to them thats where they were going. Over all a great place and would diffenately go again.

Room Tip: ground floor pool side all rooms have ocean view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten? Share your experiences!