“Beautiful views, friendly staff, relaxed atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oyster Bay Beach Resort

You added Oyster Bay Beach Resort to your Saves list
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Emerald Merit Rd 10, Oyster Pond 97150, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Special Rate
CALL FOR BEST PRICE
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Oyster Pond
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Portland, Oregon, United States
“Beautiful views, friendly staff, relaxed atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This was our first stay in St. Maarten, and Oyster Bay was a wonderful resort. It's quiet with a beautiful view of the ocean, and I would return with no hesitation. It is away from the major centers of the island, so you either have to have a car or take taxis. But the taxis are flat-rate, so you know exactly how much it will cost you for a trip, and you can sit back and enjoy the scenery.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
East Tawas, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

This was our 2nd stay at OBBR in the past 3 years. We came back because the resort is well kept, friendly and quiet. This year we asked for a remodeled room and received a 2nd floor ocean front unit. While most of it was newer, the showers were still original. Strange, but no problem. We loved the view and seclusion offered by this unit. Overall the resort was very clean and well maintained. The staff was always friendly and helpful. We liked the out-of-the way location as it gave us closer access to Orient Beach and the French side with the rental car. We hope to stay again with OBBR soon!

• Stayed August 2013
Kahnawake, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Great trip, People are very nice, great social events planned, mingle with people or do your own thing.. no problem , rent a car , dont beleive the bad reviews. have a problem just ask. and they will fix it. Had a great trip.

Room Tip: had room 3811 marina view , how much time do you spend in a room?
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Berea, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We traded our Westgate Villa Time Share for this resort. First and foremost; the staff is excellent; the Assistant General Manager - Anne-Marie Brook, is down to earth and the most thoughtful, caring professional I have encountered in our 23 yrs of time share ownership. I do not ever remember being so impressed that I actually asked for a manager's card in order to publicly share accolades.

I followed advice found on this site to rent a car upon arrival to the Island, a Garmin was not available, however, I was able to obtain one from the counter set up for the rental car company at the resort.

Check in was fine; the resort has cold wash clothes and water available in the lobby, a thoughtful touch, to make arrival more comfortable; particularly during the humidity. We opted for the pre-arrival groceries; I highly recommend that. It was nice opening the door to our condo and finding groceries instead of our typical, dropping off luggage and running to the nearest grocery store to stock up. Please read ALL the paperwork they give you, it is very informative and can protect your from scams and explain charges, etc.

For the first time ever I intentionally left my laptop home, decided to take a break from it. However, I had my Ipad and used the free WiFi on occasion in the courtyard. I would not pay to use their services for $10 an hour near the bar; earlier someone asked, it is $11 a day or $55 a week (at least while we were there) for Internet in your room. So why pay for an hour, when you can get a day for $1.00 more? The only reason would be if you must print something.

We arrived Sunday evening and missed the Saturday and Sunday orientations where they drive you around the Island, so my first suggestion to anyone is to try to do a Friday or Saturday check in! They had a small orientation for us on Monday, but we were not offered the Island trip. The orientation was still good and as always I asked, "where do the local go". I love to travel and when not getting caught up in all the tourist traps, I have found I can get more bang for the buck and enjoy more travels. Not a problem, as we had a rental car, so we made up our own Island Tour on Monday to get acquainted with the Island. During our drive we stopped at Grande Case on the French side for lunch; we ate at "Sky's the Limit" for $10.00 you get a full plate with with ribs or chicken, and several side items. This was where I was told the "locals like to go". We viewed the beach and some kids were jumping off the pier, I enjoyed watching them and asked to make a short video, they were not only happy to do it, but made it fun. Next we stopped at Palm Beach/ Orient Beach is one exit away and Palm Beach staff told us if we spent the day there and stayed for lunch they would give us our beach chairs and umbrella.
Monday night there was a Pool Party at the Resort. It was a lot of fun. (I don't want to give all details and ruin your surprise.) We met a lady named Jill there, one of the sales reps; she was very personable, not pushy at all. We tried to meet up with her later in the week to learn more about the resort ownership, but we had to cancel, however, who knows, perhaps we will go back just to meet with her and discuss it.

Tuesday my husband needed to rest more before we continued our exploration, so I opted to use "Dawn Beach" in the morning while he rested. Dawn Beach is accessible via Beau Beau's one of the 2 restaurants offered by the resort. The beach is clean, chairs are available for free for guests at OBBR (Oyster Bay Beach Resort). I word of caution: there are chairs that belong to OBBR, then there are chair that belong to someone else, then more chairs for OBBR, be sure you are using the Resort Amenities, otherwise you will have to pay. There are rocks separating the area of the beach that belongs to the "The Westin". A word of caution, do not attempt to cross those rocks, I was told that once a woman tried and broke bones. Another word of caution; we never made it to the Westin - no need to and not enough time; but if you do go there, do NOT walk back at night! I met a woman who owns a home near OBBR and she was eating at the restaurant and told us of a lady who walked back at 3AM by herself and was never seen again. BTW, that had nothing to do with why we never made it to the Westin, it looked nice from our viewpoint, but we just had enough to do and never made it there.

Still Tuesday; we visited Maho Beach and watch the planes land; Sunset Grill has excellent food and reasonable price, so we at there as well. Then we visited Mullet Beach and Baie Rouge. I read that Baie Rouge has "Pink" sand, but it did not look pink to me. I was told the latter is one area you do not want to be in at night.

When we got back to the resort I could not locate my camera battery charger and extra battery. The staff was very kind, sent me back to a room we had previously and checked, it was not there. The housekeeping supervisor was with me, and she took great care in ensuring that everything was left clean and any item I moved was moved back to it's place for the next guest. I was impressed with her. Everything had to be in it's exact thought. I went back to my room and I still could not find it. The supervisor even called the maid who cleaned the room at home to ask, I was amazed. She had not seen it. So I asked if I could bring my husband with me to look, and again, we could not locate it. I was a bit down, wondering how I would continue to take photo's; I love doing this. So a bit later (that night or next AM) in our room after looking again, suddenly my eye catches sight of it behind the dresser, I had forgotten there is an outlet behind the dresser and that was where I plugged it in. I called the front desk and asked them to let the housekeeping know. I wished I had not had to ask the staff to help me, I felt I wasted their time, but they were very very nice about it.

Wednesday: we traveled to the French Cul De Sac, where we boarded a boat for $7.00 each (YES you read that right) for Pinel Island. We spent the day there, it was incredible. Nice company, good food. Walk behind the restaurant a bit and you can get an excellent view for photo's. Also, check out the primitive bathrooms. :) They were sufficient and clean, that is most important. While there we met a young man who lived for a year in Idaho and said he did so to learn English, he asked if we had been to Anguilla. He said it was even more amazing there.

Thursday: Guess where we went. Marigot to the Ferry for Anguilla. $40.00 per person covers the trip there + tax and the trip back + tax. However, you need $26.00 each way for a taxi to get to the beach. Unlike Pinel Island, you don't walk off the boat to the beach. We as a rule, chose not carry much cash, but the taxi driver drove us to gorgeous Shoal Bay beach restaurant where they charged us $10 for our beach lounge chairs, umbrella; and we ate lunch there; the restroom was modern and clean and they had a pool. It was my birthday, so I had the lobster; it was again incredible. We were able to charge this and our bill for our meal, drinks, beach chairs, was under $100 including a tip.
Please read this: They told us the Restaurant would be closed for the next 6 weeks and the day we went was the last day they were open for the season, so please check what is going to be open if you go back before October.

We returned to OBBR and went with the Resort for a bus ride to a Casino, we were provided with vouchers for $10.00 at no cost to us. We had dinner at the Restaurant there, I was not very impressed with it. I think it was $32 for spaghetti for one. But it was nice and I was still celebrating my birthday, so it was sufficient. Note: this was the only time we ventured out of the Resort at night.

The Resort itself also offered for $85.00 pp (there were ways to get this reduced) a day trip to an undisclosed location from 10AM - 4PM; which included all drinks for the day; beach chairs, umbrella, discount on all available beach sports, ex. Parasailing. We opted not to do that, neither of us drink much, and I had my heart set on Anguilla.

Friday: We did Pic Paradise near Marigot. The drive was a bit creepy, but well worth it. You arrive at a path that goes up to a few different look outs where you can get fantastic photographs. Next we checked out Ft. Louis, def. enjoyable for history buffs., a Museum (I didn't feel this was worth it, but you may enjoy), and then on to Front Street. We were told to avoid Front Street during the Cruise Ship Arrivals. It was so nice when we went, it was not crowded at all.

On the way back, we took a wrong turn and ended up on the road to Westin. It was a horrible road, I nearly had a panic attack. There was a woman who came by in her SUV and saw us and told us to follow her and she drove us right to the resort. In hindsight, I am not sure why she did not encourage us to try to back up and turn around. But regardless, her hospitality was the norm for what we experienced during our stay.

The Resort had a fare well party and it was very nice. Here is where I can give you an example of the General Manager in action; my husband is a disabled veteran. She saw us standing and jumped to her feet and got us seats from one of the offices. We probably would have remained standing for a few minutes and then left, but with that welcome we stayed for a while and enjoyed the music. Again, I will not tell you everything you will find out.

Saturday or Sad we are this day; (our last full day), we went to Orient Beach/ Bikini Beach. We had lunch at a French sidewalk cafe and enjoyed it. We had planned to go to the Westin that evening for dinner, but ended up talking with a couple we met during the Casino trip and decided not too, instead we finished up the food in our rooms.

Now about the restaurants: Beau Beau's was good, we at there the night we arrived, another night, I think Wednesday, they had dancers. We never ate at Infinity's; however we did use their carryout service for Roasted Chicken, it was very good. The bar: We are the type who maybe have 1 or 2 drinks a year. So we didn't use it; however, from observation, people using it seemed to be very happy with the quality and service.

About your bill: I did my research before our trip and saw people complaining about charges; if you read your packet you will understand what these charges are for. 1. $5.00 a day is for the daily service they provide; most time shares only provide service once a week! (From my experience, unless you pay a fee.) OBBR opts to provide it for a nominal daily charge, and then they go in one day midweek and do a thorough cleaning. It was very nice coming back daily and knowing we would have clean towels if we needed them without having to go to the front desk. Also, we left a tip under our pillow on the day of full service. The $1.00 charge daily on your bill is for the a fund for employee's families education and recreation. I personally think this is wonderful. If you can afford to take vacation, please do not be cheap about this. These employee's work so hard and deserve it. There was also a usage tax, seemed odd to me, because the owners pay tax during their annual tax and maintenance, but it wasn't much, so we didn't question it.

Anything I'd do different? YES!! I would have taken more cash! Most places do not take credit cards. Everyone accepts US Dollars, no need to convert. If you do find you need more, we discovered Saturday AM (LOL a bit too late) that if you ask at the desk Monday-Friday while their business office is open they can help. It was funny how we had to watch every dollar the last day and a half. Well, not really, but yes now that we are home, really. I did opt to leave all jewelry home but one wedding ring; as I had researched crime and read mixed reviews. This from a woman who once lived in Hells Kitchen in NYC, when it really was Hells Kitchen 30 yrs + ago.

I hope this has helped, I've tried to be detailed, as I was nervous about this trip. No need to be, just use your head and common sense. Never used Room Service or the Spa.

Room Tip: We had a Suite and it was sufficient for the 2 of us; we usually like 1 bedroom, but did not need it...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hemet, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

we are Welk Resort owners in Escondido CA. We used Interval Intl as our exchange company and did very little research on the resort. My husband and I are divers and the pictures sold us unfortunately upon our arrival we discovered how the photos were very outdated! The resort needs a lot of work to put it mildly! The staff are in no hurry to assist you. Absolutely no attentiveness! When we checked in to the resort, we already knew there would be some kind of sales pitch attempt. so we said what the heck and agreed to give up a morning of our very valuable time (our vacation) and meet with a sales rep for breakfast. My husband and I arrived at the agreed time for breakfast and what would you know, the sales rep no showed. We had breakfast and spoke to a resort employee and told her, "you know what call us later today or tomorrow and we will meet up with another sales rep. Did anyone ever contact us? NOPE, we went all week with not one resort employee or member checking in on us. The pool area was dirty. The "onsite" snorkel equipment, was so old and damaged and very limited in sizes. They charged our room $150.00 to rent the equipment. well with the equipment being so shotty, I didn't get to snorkel off of our resort which was one of the reasons we chose to stay there. They didn't have fins that weren't torn or ripped, so if you one or both comes off in the ocean and you loose them guess what that's right you just bought a piece of trash set of fins! Im not sure about most other countries but in the US especially where we live, tipping is not mandatory, but we (my husband and I) are both good tippers. Well with an added 15% service charge on every meal you receive at the restaurants, staff really doesn't care about service! and of course NO room service. 8i should also add the resort pushes for families to stay but the 2-bedroom units do not offer one room with two queens. although you can rent a roll away bed daily. Unfortunately by the end of our 7 day stay we were thoroughly disgusted and disappointed. saying we would never return to the island, until we decided to stop by the Westin at Dawn Beach. Amazing!!! 5-stars and very attentive. please research your resort before you spend you hard earned income on a vacation to avoid having an experience like ours. My suggestion - don't stay at Oyster Bay Resort.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We have stayed here three times now and the staff could not be more helpful. The only thing I did not like is all the stairs. The exhange units are not handicap accessible. This resort is at the end of a small point of hilly land. A car is definitely need since the cabs are $15.00 p/p to go just about anywhere. The cabs are reliable and widely available. The resort is divided into several types of units with some privately owned. The units for exchange are furnished with very functional pieces. Kitchens are stocked with necessary pots, pans and dishes. A nice feature is the pre-order form for food for your unit. We have done this two times and it is a great start to the vacation. The Dutch side has a big grocery store near the downtown area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Could anyone tell me what the best way is to check email? I don't want to take my computer but I may have to.
The front desk said something about a hot spot somewhere at the resort and a place at the bar that would charge $7 for each use.
They said it would be $52 to use it in our room.

Any other suggestions???

Thanks so very much

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Oyster Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!