“Another visit to our 2nd Home, and we can't wait to return!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oyster Bay Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Oyster Bay Beach Resort to your Saves list
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Emerald Merit Rd 10, Oyster Pond 97150, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Offers & Announcements
Call us last minute DEALS
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Oyster Pond
NJ USA
“Another visit to our 2nd Home, and we can't wait to return!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

What can I say about OBBR that has not already been said? We've been going to St Maarten/St Martin (SXM to us in the know), for close to 20 years. We stumbled upon OBBR about 10 years ago during an "exploration drive" around the island, while trying to check out Dawn Beach. We were convinced to do a tour of the resort and a timeshare presentation in exchange for a free lunch and use of beach chairs. Well, we did not buy anything right there on the spot, but were very glad we discovered the place.

We exchanged into OBBR a few times and loved it so much we later bought a week. Then bought another week!

Now, just 10 days after coming back, we already booked our next stay. Simply can not stay away. That says it ALL, I think.

Room Tip: Since this resort offers Floating ownership, meaning you're not locked into one specific week ev...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

March 2013, we stayed at the Oyster Bay beach resort for one week, we were plesantly surprise by the size and layout of our room, it was very nice. The resort itself is very nice, but we rented a car for the week, and we enjoy sightseeing other beach's on the island. The pool and huttub are awesome at Oyster Bay, and also the Boi Boi Restarant located off the beach, food was good. The resort is very clean..Beach's that I would recommend are Orient beach, just a 10 minute drive from Oyster Bay, Panel Island was a secluded beach, take a ferry over, very nice, Most likely the best beach we've seen was on Anguilla Island, a 20 minute boat ride over, we rented a car for $30 for the day, went to Cove bay, breath taking, and the beach boy treated us the best I've ever seen. The worst part of the whole trip was all our luggage was stolen out of our rental car on our last day on St. maarten. we had went to Mullet beach just down the road from the airport, we needed to waste a couple hours before our flight, we couldn't check in our bags early, because we tried doing so before we went to the beach, we were only at Mullet beach for no more than a hour, and when we returned back, someone had broken the key entry portion of the door and were able to unlock the car, and took everything we travled with, fortunately my wife had taken her purse with her to the beach, which had our passports, credit cards, and cash...it was a long 6 hr. plane ride back wearing a swimsuit and towel.. The car rental company were the best, Empress car rental, located down the road from the airport, didn't charge for the damage, and were very nice to deal with. Lesson learned, DO NOT LEAVE YOUR BAGGAGE IN THE CAR !! I can't imagine what we would have done if we had left our passports in the car/baggage.. I know I wouldn't be writting this right now, I'd still be in St. Maarten. One other thing, They all drive crazy over there, they drive right up to your A$@, pass you on turns, motorcycles drive right in the middle of on-coming traffic, it's a challenge everyday you go out there to drive, Would I go back, yes, there's lots to see, our Resort was beautiful, and I'd like to run into the dude wearing my new clothes.

Room Tip: Rooms ocean side.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Home away from home. Very friendly and easy going. Beautiful rooms, plenty of space, been coming since 2000, keeps us coming back. Here for 4 weeks, on third week now. Read another review about high pressure sales pitch. Completely OPPOSITE experience. If you have $ and want to buy great, if not fine too, no pressure. Free gift is still awarded, no pressure, no guilt. Have taken many excursions through activity desk, never a problem & 100% happy. Sorry to hear what happened in other review. Miscommunication? Not at all typical of resort and surprises me. Come see for yourself...

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Booked on Travelocity, Wed.-Wed. 25 minute $25.taxi ride, Easy check in. Room was disappointing, small, crowded with a king size bed, dresser, 1 lamp, 1nightstand, 1 chair, small alcove overlooking roof, if you leaned out the window able to see a bit of the pool and water. Internet in room $10/day, free in common area. We were under the radar until our last day when the Sales staff found us. Did not know it was a Time Share facility, we had just booked a vacation but they wouldn't take no for an answer til we sat through the pitch. Otherwise, all the staff were WONDERFUL, the pool and beach fabulous, food good with several very close by restaurants. Shuttle to Grand Case on the French side for amazing food. Most of the other guests were Time Share owners and it is a very friendly atmosphere since most have become friends over the years, but we felt very welcomed and involved. Rented a car for a day at the rental in the lobby very easily. Disappointed with a snorkel/ mini tour trip to Anguilla booked through the resort. We were told to meet at McDonalds in Simpson Bay where business was conducted in a booth with a guy taking our credit card payment then walking a group of us across the street. After a boat ride to Anguilla we were to find a guy named Harry for a tour (consisted a look at a bay and a ride to the beach where we were dropped off, given some masks and snorkels, told we would get lunch and would be picked up at 3:30. At the end of the trip we were dropped at the ferry with no instructions and no sign of the boat we came on. Took the ferry back, dropped off at a totally different place than we started, were eventually given a bus ride back to the starting McDonalds where our taxi was nowhere in sight as we were so late. Caught a ride with another couple's taxi which had waited for them(going first to the other side of the island). Turns out we could have just taken a taxi to the Marigot Ferry and done the same thing ourselves for about half the price. Buyer beware.
That being said, St. Martin is a wonderful island and we had a great vacation and really enjoyed the Oyster Bay Beach Resort!!!!!!

Room Tip: Try for an ocean view, but the hotel rooms are actually limited.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Gatineau, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We have a timeshare in Oyster Bay and we went recently. We had a wonderful time, the island is always sunny. The beach is beautiful, the pool and the spa are clean, the staff is friendly, the food is great, the view is amazing! The rooms are also neat and comfy. Furthermore, the resort is close to Philipsburgh and Grand Case, where you can find great restaurants and shops.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Just returned from 4 nights at OBBR. Oyster Pond is the absolute best spot on the island.
If I could go 4.5 I would.
The only reason I am not giving a 5 is because the room, which had a spectacular view, was a bit small & the bathroom shower could use a face lift.
Staff was amazing, loved the pool, access to the beach & Mr Busbys where which we ate every meal. Stop into the Marina grocery if you want to pick up a few things for the mini-fridge.
Will go back without question...probably before years end.

Lowell, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Short Version:
Great location, very nice room, other guests are very friendly mostly 45 years of age +, staff mostly friendly and accommodating, a couple of hiccups that were resolved. Time share facility with motivated time share sales staff. Saying no did work for us.....

Long Version:
We booked Oyster Bay Beach Resort through cheap Caribbean Vacations dot com. We paid $2,500 for 6 nights, airfare for two and trip cancellation insurance included. We traveled with another couple who had actually booked the trip and paid the same amount. We requested rooms close to each other with ocean view.

Upon arrival we were given rooms on opposite ends of the resort, our friends had a room in building 12, on the ocean, we were given a room in building 25 which faced Dawn beach and is also the location of Beau Beau's, the resort's "night club". We asked about having rooms together and were told that wasn't possible, the couple we were with were told their room was really nice, I asked about our room and was told our room was "nice too".

The room in building 12 was as advertised, the room building 25, while not as nice was certainly acceptable except there apparently had been an issue with the septic system outside the room that day and the smell was unbearable. After a short conversation with the lady at the desk where we were informed that our friends were in an upgraded room, to which I shrugged my shoulders, she found us another room in building 12. The only caveat was we needed to change rooms on our last night, we stayed from Monday until Sunday. Fair enough, we took the room.

We were told there was a welcome party at 5:30 that evening and that we should pickup our welcome package from the concierge desk. I went to the concierge desk and was given a packet with information, told who my reservation "specialist" was and asked what time I would like to meet this specialist for cocktails or dinner to "discuss the island". Having read other Tripadvisor reviews, I decided I did not want to sit through a time share spiel and politely declined the invitation. I was told that this was my specialist for the week and I needed to meet this person, I said that I would find her when I needed a reservation and that was it.

We went to the welcome party at 5:30 that night, the party had music, an open bar and was well attended. We met many couples that night and had a good time with great conversation. There was a raffle table set up where you could sign up to win prizes, sensing another time share spiel in the making I decided my anonymity was prize enough and skipped that line which was quite sizable. A gentleman I met at the party had a colorful wristband on. He told me he got it at the raffle table and asked me where mine was, I told him that I skipped the raffle, he then remarked to me " I guess this marks me as fresh meet" to the sales staff and promptly ripped it off.

When I first got to the party there was a line for the bar so I tried the rum punch which I didn't like. I stood in line at the bar, when I got to the bar, the young lady turned around and started working on something else, the gentleman finished up with another customer, I asked him for a tropical drink. He asked me what type of liquor I liked, I told him rum. He asked what I wanted in it, I said I don't know, something tropical, so he poured coke in it. I asked him if that was tropical, he told me "Yes sir" with a straight face. So I laughed, I did think it was funny, took a sip, then dumped it in the trash and went to another bartender for a Tanqueray with a splash of tonic. My staff interactions ranged from this, which I would qualify as a very respectful passive aggressive exchange, to very courteous and helpful.

I had one other encounter worth mentioning when I had to change rooms on Saturday. I was told when I checked in that I would have to pack my bags and they would be moved from room to room for me when the new room was ready and that I had to be out of the room by 10 am. I went to the front desk to change rooms, the lady at the desk told me I would have bring my bags to the lobby to be stored and to check in with her around 2 to see "if my room was ready". Needless to say I wasn't happy so I told her that I was told my bags would be moved and that the new room would be expedited. She looked perplexed and asked who told me that. I told her that the lady who checked me in had told me that and that I was not happy that I was going to be without room for which I was paying for at least four hours maybe longer. She replied to me "Well that's the way it is", just to be clear, she was not snotty when she said this, it was more like she was perplexed, but it was not the right thing to say. Seeing that I was getting nowhere, I asked to speak to a manager. While I was waiting for a manager, the lady at the desk called an assistant, who went to my room and retrieved my bags. I spoke to the manager and explained my displeasure with waiting four hours to see if my new room was going to be ready. She excused herself and a few minutes later I got word that my new room would be ready in 45 minutes, and it was.

All in all, this was a nice place on a nice island. The rock and roll night at Beau beau's, the bar on the resort was fun and crowded, it was over by 10pm. Most of the other nights we drove to restaurants on the island. Driving was easy, although some of the roads were narrow with large, drive ending drainage gutters on the side. The people of the island seem very courteous. Air conditioning among the residences is not prevalent and many sit on porches, utility boxes or whatever else is on the side of the road and watch traffic. We saw this throughout the neighborhoods. We never felt unsafe while driving.

I'm undecided as to whether I would return. We met many people who have been staying at this resort via timeshares for years and are very satisfied with it. If you expect 5 star Four Seasons type service then I would stay away. I did focus on the incidents that irked me a little in this review, but all in all most staff was very helpful and wanted to satisfy, with very few exceptions. There is not much to do on this island as far as night life for us middle aged folks. We were told that all the clubs are geared to younger people with techno type music. We verified this with several people who have been coming here for years. I like a little more action hence my reservation about returning. If warm weather and laying by the pool or beach is what you are looking for than this is probably a great place for you.

PS, after going over some other reviews here, it seems the septic smell has been an ongoing problem here. As an engineer, I saw several "vents" near the entrance to the resort from where the smell seemed to be emanating. It seems to me that extending these pipes up 15 or 20 feet combined with some type of charcoal filter may alleviate these issues, but what do I know?

Room Tip: I would stay away from the building that houses Beau Beau's, the resort bar due to the septic sm...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Oyster Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!