This will be brief, but I hope that it will help someone considering staying at Oyster Bay. I would not stay here again, nor would I recommend staying here if you are not used to this type of accommodation. Generally, when I travel, I stay at a Westin or Renaissance, or on the low end, a Hampton Inn & Suites. The accommodations at Oyster Bay are more on par with an Econo Lodge. The towels were rough and some were tearing, the sheets had a spot here or there, the pillows were flat, and the bedspread was old and pilling. I took a peek in other rooms and they were all the same. While I guess that I could tell that they had done some sort of renovation, it was not a quality one. The bathrooms have no tile, just the very cheap plastic shower walls and basin.
Be aware that there are mostly seniors with timeshares at this resort, so if you are looking for a more lively area, you should stay near the airport/golf course area or the Phillipsburg cruise ship port area. Driving from Oyster Bay to some action takes about 20 minutes.
As far as views, the marina view, while pretty (even though it is overlooking the parking lot), is not as nice as the ocean view. The marina view will not provide the relaxing breeze and sounds of the ocean. The pool and beach are nice, and lunch by the pool is excellent (grilled fish, seasoned rice, fries and plantains).
There are nice restaurants within walking distance (highly recommend Big Fish for ambiance, food, service). To eat anywhere on the island, try to head to dinner around 6:30 before the rush- restaurants on the island cannot seem to handle a full house (waits across the board were minimum 1 hour) and after exploring all day, you will be exhausted and starving!
Oh, if you need to rent a car (you will), go with Sixt! Great service and perfect little car. Note that the office is not in the airport terminal, but they have a super friendly shuttle or you can easily walk across the street to the office. We were in and out in 5 minutes. I highly recommend purchasing traveler's car rental insurance via Travelocity or other booking company. It is much cheaper than obtaining on-site.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just south of the amicable French/Dutch divide, Oyster Bay Beach Resort awaits. Perched on a coral reef overlooking the Caribbean ocean and Oyster Pond Marina is paradise found. With breathtaking ocean views, white sand beach and countless amenities Oyster Bay Beach Resort and its sister properties, Mainsail, Spinnaker and the Lighthouse serve as your escape from the every day. Find adventure, serenity and the fullness of life at our island resort. Make Oyster Bay your next stop. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Priceline, BookIt.com, Orbitz and Hotels.com so you can book your Oyster Bay Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oyster Bay Beach Hotel Oyster Pond
- Oyster Bay Beach Philipsburg