“Best meal we had on trip” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 15 Restaurants in Oyster Pond
Cuisines: Caribbean, International
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
“Best meal we had on trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We had a lovely dinner at this restaurant. It was quite a drive from where we were staying but well worth the effort.
I started with the escargot. Presentation was lovely. It had a hint of anise which was very different from the normal garlic butter. I really enjoyed the change. My husband had the stuffed plantain. I thought it was delicious but he felt it lost the flavor of the plantain. My main course was the tuna. Cooked to perfection with a wonderful sauce. My husband had the mahi. He couldn't decide on the sauce so they brought him both on the side. The lemon grass cream sauce was to die for.
We frequent st Martin often and this will definitely be our go to restaurant

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Setauket, New York
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

My husband and I dined at Canoa last evening and were disappointed with certain aspects of our meal. To begin, I requested tap water and was told only bottled water would be served at a charge. We were ordering wine, but I happen to like water as well. As an appetizer, my husband ordered l'escargot in puff pastry, which looked great but was served cold and was very bland. The cream sauce tasted pasty and the pastry was not crisp. His catfish entree tasted good, but didn't look very appetizing. I ordered the chicken kabobs, which were undercooked and pink in a few spots. The restaurant is understaffed, but wait staff do their best to accommodate. Maybe we hit the place on a bad day, but we won't go back.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
McHenry, Illinois
“Nice meals, severely understaffed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We ate at Canoa for the first time tonight. As usual for St. Maarten the food was very good, I ordered the pasta seafood and my wife ordered chicken florentine. Both were very made and tasty, finished with the molten cake for dessert, which did not disappoint.

The main problem we had was that the place was severely understaffed, our waiter was working is butt off and did his best but we felt mostly ignored most of the night. When we finished dessert we had to wait over 40 minutes to see our waiter again to get the check. it was obvious he was not able to handle all the customers that he was assigned.

I should add that this was a Monday night at about 7 when we arrived. The food did arrive to our table in a timely manner, it was only after a table of 8 was seated that things went downhill.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
“Saved the Best for Last”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

This is our last night in St. Martin and we visited Canoa. Timing is everything because we had no reservation and the place was filling up fast. We sat at a table overseeing the kitchen and it was the best seat in the house. To watch the chefs in action was a treat. They work together beautifully. And the kitchen is as clean as a whistle.
I ordered the stuffed red snapper filet - not exactly sure what it was stuffed with but all I can say is that it was the best! The Queen ordered the mahi mahi in mango sauce and this turned out to be her favorite by a wide margin over anything else she had on this trip.
We interacted with just about all of the restaurant staff, including the owner/head chef and everyone was fantastic. This is must go to place. If you're not staying in the Dawn Beach area, you might find it hard to find. All you need to know is that it is right near The Westin. If you can find The Westin, you will find Canoa.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Diego, California
“Great food, fun location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I went to Canoa for dinner and had a great dining experience. The restaurant is on a pier in Oyster Pond which provides for a nice setting. The walls are all open so there is a fantastic breeze to enjoy. The food was excellent, however I thought it was a bit expensive. It is one of the more expensive restaurants that we ate at.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere