“Canoa beats Mr. Busby's by a mile” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Caribbean, International
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Westchester, IL
“Canoa beats Mr. Busby's by a mile”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Went to Canoa tonight, and it was just out-of-this-world-delicious. Everything about the place is completely great.

Not to start a fight, but I had the filet at Mr. Busby's on Monday, and then I had the filet at Canoa on Wednesday (I like my filet!) It was like night and day. Canoa was melt-in-your-mouth delicious, and a much better price as well.

My wife had the Colombo Chicken which was a miracle as well. Also, I highly recommend the fried plaintain.

Presentation was excellent, and the staff bends over backwards in service, also unlike the place across the way.

Finally, the price level is much more reasonable.

So if you are going to Oyster Bay, or are even in the vicinity, Canoa is the place to go.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Pennsville, New Jersey
“"Best Meal in St Maarten!!!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I stumbled on this gem of a restaurant whilst frequenting the more well known "Mr Busbys/Daniels by the Sea." Sadly we made the mistake of making this one of our last meals;however it was by far the best. Upon entry into the restaurant we were welcomed warmly by a smiling and attentive staff. We ordered the signature dish & restaurant namesake "plantain canoe" as a starter. The plantain canoe is a ripe plantain cut down the center to mimic a Caribbean wood canoe then deep fried w/ a lavish layer of ground beef in a sumptuous Italian style tomato sauce and then topped off w/ mouth watering mozzarella (actual restaurant site description--it is dead on). The waitress seemed puzzled when we only ordered 1 and after tasting this little piece of heaven on a plate we realized our mistake in only ordering 1--oh my. We moved on to the Greek house salad next which was fresh and original w/ a well crafted vinagarette dressing. It was nice to see a different salad option aside from a standard tossed or Caesar. For dinner my significant other had the special- a huge bacon wrapped filet w/ local mushrooms while I chose (Oyster Bay Seafood Pasta) shrimp,mussels,and mahi in linguini and a lobster cream sauce---both delicious although the steak was prepared medium and not so much med well. For dessert we had the standard molten chocolate cake. This was one of the few restaurants we came across that didn't already include a 15% gratuity or service fee and the service was undeniably better for it. Thank you Canoa for the wonderful experience and giving us another reason to return to St Maarten!!! Pictures to follow :)

Indialantic, Florida
“Excellent meal and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We enjoyed this restaurant so much we ate here twice in a week. Both meals were exceptional and the service outstanding as well. Very nice menu options and great deal for the kids menu. We were so happy to find this diamond in the rough so close to our resort. By far, the best restaurant and service we have enjoyed here in St. Maarten.

New York City, New York
“Yay! Finally a great meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We tried Canoa last night and had a wonderful time. Staff was so delightful. Service exceptional and the food devine. We enjoyed a cocktail on the back deck while we waited a short time for our table. We did not have a reservation but I recommend making one- every time we try to eat in Oyster Pond without one we are turned away. We just happened to be eating late so it wasn't as much of a wait. Its also a small place so on a holiday weekend- its crowded! My salad was fresh and inventive, my husbands steak was absolutely devine. Definitely try it!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great food in a very pretty spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Ate at Canoa last night. It's a beautiful spot on the edge of the marina. Sat outside, and enjoyed watching the boats come in. Fish was super fresh and nicely prepared. Very nice place, and much better than Big Fish across the street (better food, better views). My girlfriend had the grilled mahi mahi, and it was fantastic. My stuffed red snapper was also delicious (but I had to sneak some of the delicious mahi).

Reasonably priced wine list. Had a great Sancerre to go along with the fish.

Very romantic place.