“Lovely and comfortable.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Princess Heights Hotel

You added Princess Heights Hotel to your Saves list
Princess Heights Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oyster Pond Road #156 | Dawn Beach, Oyster Pond, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Offers & Announcements
Free Car Deals from $135
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Oyster Pond
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, Canada
“Lovely and comfortable.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

This was our first trip to St. Martin and the Caribbean. We chose Princess Heights since we wanted an apartment and not a standard hotel room, we were not interested in an all-inclusive resort, and wanted to be away from the "strip" of Simpson Bay. We rented a one-bedroom condo for a week, and really enjoyed our stay. The views of the ocean and the surrounding area were beautiful, and the apartment itself was clean, well-appointed and very comfortable. The staff were all very gracious and extremely friendly; when we arrived, they accompanied us to our room, showed us around, arranged for a rental car, and told us where the nearest grocery store and restaurants were. There was a binder in the room that described the major beaches and restaurants in the area, which really helped us for the first few days, and they gave us a map to help us navigate our way around the island. The building was located a bit further up from the beach that we had anticipated, and for that reason, a rental car is a must if you are staying here. In fact, you should rent a car anyway, since it's the best way to get around the island and explore. The roads are quite easy to navigate and the locals will gladly point you in the right direction if you do get lost. The room was cleaned and linens and beach towels were replaced every day. They obviously take pride in their property, and guests are warmly treated. We were mildly disappointed that there was no wireless in the rooms, only in the main office, but we have since been told that there are plans to have wireless access in the rooms soon. They did give us an internet cable, but our new laptop didn't have a plug for a cable. In the end, it didn't matter..why would you want to be on your computer when you have beaches and restaurants to explore! And all guests are welcome to use a laptop in the main office to keep in touch with people back home. Highly recommended if you want an elegant, quiet and comfortable apartment with a kitchen so you can cook breakfast and enjoy it on your balcony, and very friendly and accommodating hosts.

Room Tip: All apartments have an ocean view.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

We have just recently returned from a restful two month stay at the lovely Princess Heights" .Once we entered unit 402 ,opened the double patio doors onto our balcony ,we knew we had made the right choice. The next morning we watched the sunrise & felt the warmth of the warm Caribbean sun as we enjoyed breakfast on the patio. Our condo was comfortable ,clean & welcoming from the well equiped kitchen to the king sized bed. The staff from the office, to the maintenance & housekeepers, were engaging,friendly & eager to ensure our stay was great. I always enjoyed chatting with the staff & workers & chuckled to hear their response when I said we were from Canada;"Brrr! it's cold there!!" we spent many sunfilled days on Dawn Beach just below the PH or at the many other inviting beaches on the island not to mention the Olympic size pool just below our balcony.A car is a must on this side of the island since no buses come to this area & taxis are expensive. We were always happy to get back to our balcony each evening to enjoy the warm breezes & stare out at the moon reflecting off the ocean. if you're looking for a relaxing holiday with sun & surf & beautiful accomodations, the Princess heights will not disappoint!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

First time to St. Maarten. We were traveling with our 22 month old daughter and wanted a carribbean vacation just four hours from Boston. We booked the one bedroom condo at the Princess heights based upon the reviews and we were just blown away. We loved the it was more private, close to the French side and the views of St. Barths from our room were breathtaking. Upon arrival, the staff got into our car to take us to our room and spent time giving us an overview of amenties and the property. We were impressed that they provided an actual crib versus a pack-n-play. The bed was so comfy and the fully equipped kitchen was excellent for a family that loves to cook and has small children. The staff was so helpful in terms of providing information on the closest supermarkets and best restuarants. They even have a binder in the room describing different beaches, activities and day trips which was helpful to plan each day. They even assisted my husband with booking a dive trip to Saba. We spent most of our time on the French side - Friar's Bay, Pinel Island, Le Galion, Anse Marcel - all excellent beaches for young kids. Our daughter just loved playing in the sand and water and we even took a fun morning trip to Anguilla. A rental car is a must, but we could have done without the gps. There is basically one main road and its not easy to find an address to plug in. After a few days we figured out where we needed to go. We would hit the beach early since my daughter would wake up before the sunrise and the afternoons were more lowkey. We'd go for a drive and then grab a bite to eat (most places don't open for dinner until 5:30/6) or we'd eat in and then drive over to the Westin/Dawn Beach and walk around and have our daughter play in the sand. The pool was a great alternative in the afternoon as well. Not totally child friendly, it gets deep quickly, but my daughter had fun walking and sitting on the pool steps and since it wasn't very busy we usually had the place to ourselves. We love visiting the carribbean but always try a different island. This was our first trip as a family and we would definitely go back and book the same place again. Its just in the center of everything but not so commercial and congested like Simpson Bay/Orient Bay. Also, very friendly and helpful staff. I loved that they cleaned the room and kitchen every day!

Room Tip: New Building
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Tortola
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

It took me several weeks of reviewing numerous hotels and reviews before selecting Princess Heights. I selected Princess Heights based on the consistent high ratings on the Tripadviosr website. Living in Tortola,BVI we had several recommendations from friends to stay in hotels/resorts in the Mahoe Beach area. However, after reading the reviews for those hotels I continued my search and came across Princess Heights. The pricing was more reasonable and the overall ratings were much higher than other hotels/resorts. My experience from beginning to end was just excellent!!!! From my initial conversation with Krystel making our reservations and a special arrival request. This trip was to celebrate our son's 11th Birthday and we wanted his arrival to Princess Heights to be special. Krystle went out of her way making special arrangements for balloons and treats to be in the room when we arrived. Romy greeted us the night of our arrival and made our check in process stress free. The security guard even helped us with bringing our luggage to the room. Romy also assisted us with food delivery services that evening by placing our order. I was pleasantly surprised to see the accommodations were exactly as outlined in previous Trip Advisor write ups. I could actually exhalee after entering this perfectly decorated and CLEAN condo. For us, the location was perfect as we spent time on both the Dutch and French side. We have current plans to return in two months and Princess Heights is the place for us!! The staff (housekeeping,security,etc..) truly goes out of their way to ensure you have a great experience at Princess Heights. I can't extend enough Thank You's to Krystle and Romy for making this an OUTSTANDING experience for my family!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

I travel often...and I do mean OFTEN. At least five times each year if not more. So when I decided I was going to re-visit Sint Maarten I wanted to choose wiser. My first visit put me in a convenient location (right near the airport), but it was so crowded and so busy I kind of felt as though I had not left New York.
On my second stay I booked at Princess Heights. I was not sure what to expect and the reservation was very last minute and not a lot of research went into the establishment because...it was last minute.
The location was PERFECT. About 30 minutes AWAY from it all. Located inside of a gated community atop the hillside it was pure perfection. The check in process was phenomenal. We had one of the staff members actually get in the rental and take us up to our suite where they showed us everything (including the view of St. Bart's from our balcony). The room had everything and more. A cooking area, double sinks, jacuzzi and shower. The balcony had a little sitting area; and while this is probably minor, it was a HUGE deal for me. They had complimentary drinks in the fridge. Yes, absolutely free! If you have ever gone to Sint Maarten you know the parties last late into the night. So when everything was closed we knew we had a coke in the fridge that we could drink and not pay fifty dollars for it upon check out.
There is a pool if you so choose, but I suggest you take advantage of Dawn Beach which is across from the hotel and of course there are very good restaurants in the vicinity.
I will NOT stay anyplace else when I travel to Sint Maarten from now on. If I know of anyone else staying in Sint Maarten I will stress that they need to stay at this location.
Staff was professional, it was quiet, picturesque and I really had nothing BAD to say about it. I have rated other places, but Princess Heights get Perfect 5s all around. I absolutely loved it. No, there is no wi-fi, but come on real travelers! You don't need to check that email. Unplug and enjoy your VACATION!!

Ridge, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a five day stay in St. Maarten/St. Martin. For the price, I highly recommend this hotel. It is more peaceful and laid back than some of the large resort-style hotels on the island. The hotel overlooks beautiful Dawn Beach and Oyster Pond on the East side of the island in Dutch St Maarten. Easily accessible from here are many of the beautiful beaches and sights- Orient Bay, Pinel Island. Loterie Farm is about a 40 minute drive from here. There are a number of decent restaurants and a small grocery within walking distance of the hotel. You are also welcome to use the restaurants in the Westin Hotel/Resort down the hill. If you are looking for a relaxing vacation and not a club-type resort, this is a good place for you.

Simpsonville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

This hotel was very pleasant. it was quiet and about 25 min from Grand Case were the best food on the island is. The room was very nice and clean and had a great view of the water and St. Barth's. The only negative about the hotel is that you have to walk up and down a lot of stairs and a steep hill to get to the beach. It was fine for us but I can see how if you are not in shape it could be a problem. It was fairly easy to get to as everything on the island is. I would suggest skipping Phillipsburg as it is just a big tourist trap with a nice beach.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Princess Heights Hotel? Share your experiences!