“lovely and tranquil” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Oyster Pond
Yonk
“lovely and tranquil”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

the property was very nice and well kept. they have 4 resident birds that offer hellos when walking by. The view from the room was amazing, overlooking part of oyster pond and looking out into the ocean. The room was quite large, the balcony was bigger then most hotel rooms i've stayed in before.
The stay included a breakfast that had a nice spread. everything from fresh fruit, eggs, bacon, sausage, pastries, rolls, pancakes and more, all while sitting in the open air restaurant right on the marina.
The stay was nice, but it is a little secluded in that part of the island. You can't really walk to much near by, though its only a quick drive to the other side of the pond to go to mr. busbys. The new westin is also there with a casino but we didn't make it there.
The propery has its own little bar, the iguana bar, with great views of the marina, bay and ocean, as well as the pool, but is kind of small.
The DingyDock is a bar within the marina, only steps from the restaurant and is a cool fun place for some cheap drinks and friendly service.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Ugh, where to begin?!? This is my second trip to Captain Oliver's Resort, and for both times, I could say the same... I guess, first of all the pros: the rooms are beautiful, spacey, with great views, and the hotel is situated in a very nice, quiet area. So if youre 60+ years old, looking to enjoy the view, relax and rest, this might be the place for you... However, if you're looking to make the most of your trip to St. Martin, you might want to reconsider. Unless you rent a car, you're stuck. All the main activities are, good restaurants and fun stuff, are in Simpson bay, (or Orient Beach) which is about 30minutes away ($40 cab ride), so you would be saying "why didn't I rent a car?!"..... Anyway, for those reasons alone, I'll give the resort a solid two stars.. Maybe 2.5 out of 5 if I could... But let's keep it real, there's a lot more to a "hotel" than the views....... The Cons: A)))) their parrots!!!!! Urghhhhhhhhhhhhhh...... They have these three nice looking Macaw parrots in a cage right near the corridor for the rooms, and I get how it's cool to have parrots in a hotel themed "captain..." but every morning starting at 5am (sunrise) they start screaming, alllll morning, all day... They sound like cats in heat, its horrible.. They are awesome if you like being woken up early so you can make the most of your trip. But. If you enjoy sleeping in a little on YOUR vacation, they make it nearly impossible.... I love all animals, but I think they should be relocated from the hotel setting ASAP... B) "Breakfast is included".. I put that in quotations, because their breakfast is unedible. Simply put. Not until my last day on my second trip there did I find out they can make pancakes and omlettes to order, which they gladly neglect to tell you.. >=( so make sure to take advantage of that should you go against better judgement and stay there.. C) you MUST rent a car if you plan on staying there for more than two days. D) the reception, staff, and restaurant staff could DEFINITELY learn a thing or two about customer appreciation, smiling, and attitude. A friendly smile and attitude once in a while won't hurt them.. The whole time I felt like they were doing me a favor letting me stay there, but then again, it's French owned...... D) the TV in the room has only half a channel. I say that realistically because only one channel works, only half the time. And E) last but not least; as others mentioned, their internet is slower than 56k modem... How much could broadband already cost?, even for an island? Internet is our only means of communications with the outside world, and they make that. Process nearly impossible. If you plan on using Skype for long distance for calls, forget about it. This is not an exaggeration.... Only works in the reception area, and even there, it BEARLY works. But other than A-E, my stay was "passable", for the decent price of course, which was reasonable... But until Captain Oliver's takes A-E into consideration, I will not be back. Our last names are Sipel and Mandeli, room 102, to show our seriousness in the matter. Unless they make serious changes soon, I will most Iikely not return, nor recommend this resort to a friend. Hope he truth helps....

Room Tip: Should you decide to stay there anyway, an ocean view deluxe room is a MUST.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

We had the pleasure of spending the night at Captain Oliver's on May 22, 2012 before our one week sailing trip with The Moorings. We chose a garden view room because it has a kitchenette with a small (dorm size) refrigerator which suited our needs perfectly. The room was spacious and beautiful with a gorgeous view and the king size bed was like sleeping on a cloud. The entire hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. This is not a fancy high priced resort but if you are looking for a laid back relaxed atmosphere with several amenities this is the place for you.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

Not bad, not great . Ok for a budget travelers. Great location, great breakfast buffet.
Older decor and needs to be updated. Short boat trip to St. Barth is a Big advantage!
Internet Only in the main lobby. So, you must bring your laptop and sit on the sofa:))
Again, hote for budget travelers ! Enjoy:)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Poulsbo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

My husband and I spent a wonderful two weeks at Captain Oliver’s in March 2012. This was the fourth time we’ve stayed there and have never been disappointed. Each time we’ve had a spacious, island-style, ocean facing unit with a balcony overlooking the entrance to the marina. We’ve always included the breakfast buffet which is optional. Our routine each morning was to have coffee on the balcony, then go to the breakfast buffet to sit in the open air planning our day. The staff has not changed over those years and many have become good friends--we look forward to seeing them each time we return. The location is ideal if you’re interested in a quieter area than Phillipsburg or Marigot. It’s located between two of our favorite beaches, Orient and Dawn, a quick trip without having to drive through the more populated areas. There are excellent restaurants within walking distance if you prefer not to drive in the evenings.

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
alr4444
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

I recently spent 4 nights at this resort in Oyster Pond. My boyfriend and I had stayed in that area before and enjoyed the location - but note, I would recommend a car if you want to explore much. The rooms were lovely, nice views - not the newest bathrooms, but well kept, and the cleaning staff were really great. We had massages on the beach one morning by David that were amazing. However, the food at the restaurant is not good and is the same price if not more expensive than much better options close by. And the service leaves much to be desired. The restaurant staff actually cleaned up and turned off the lights before we were done with our after dinner drinks. I will give some room for Caribbean charm, but it was subpar compared to most other places in the area.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

My wife and I booked a marina view room for two nights in March 2012 before joining a cruise ship to cross the Atlantic. Our time in Captain Oliver's was the low point of a fabulous holiday. It is beyond me how other reviewers can rave about this place. It is run down and truly terrible. It cannot possibly be the 4* resort it claims. We were relieved that we only had to endure two days at this dump.

The only good thing to say about the room was that it was large. The furnishings were scuffed and well beyond their best and the room was filthy throughout our short stay. The mattress was thin and set on a solid wooden base that made it uncomfortable. Bed linen was stained. The storage in the room was so dirty that my wife decided not to unpack her clothes during the stay. The bathroom was appalling. Tiles were chipped, there was mould in every corner, shower fittings were broken and the shower and sink could not be used together as the water pressure was inadequate.

The bar and restaurant had an ideal position looking over Oyster Pond and the marina but it was scruffy and the food was no more than adequate.

I found the staff neither particularly friendly nor helpful. A $20 deposit was required before they would call a taxi and I was required to sign for a $150 deposit for the lock for the room safe.

The room was absurdly expensive for the standard offered.

The location of Captain Oliver’s gives it enormous potential but until someone decides to throw a lot of money at the place to bring it into the 21st century it should be avoided. We will probably return to St Maarten but nothing on this planet would get me to stay in this resort again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Captain Oliver's Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!