I love Little Cayman where its quiet and remote. People have suggested I try Compass Point, saying that it was a lot like LC, and the reviews for it here are fab. People had told me that the east end of GC was like LC. Reality check - not really.
All of Grand Cayman is like a a big suburb in that you have to drive somewhere to do anything, and there is one busy main road around the island. This main road is @ 20' from the CP condos. On both sides of CP are private houses so you couldn't have a nice quiet walk along the beach or inland from the condos. We could walk down the busy main road to another more secluded beach along the main road.
You can however drive your rental car to secluded quiet beaches and places around the island which is nice but still its a lot of driving and where ever you go you are almost always near that main road. Except the botanic park - that was nice and quiet.
The condos get an A+ - they're in tip top shape. And the local grocers have everything you can get at a US grocery store so you don't even feel like you've left the US.
Re: snorkeling: I don't think there is any decent snorkeling on GC. We tried several places and they all paled in comparison to Little Cayman and Mexico and everywhere else I've snorkeled.
I got my fill of diving on LC so I didn't dive at CP, but their opertaion seemed tip top and everyone says its a great operation. (Note: A few people have told me that diving is better on LC).
I won't go back to GC (unless I get a job there heh) but I would certainly recommend CP to friends as long as they know the above.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- LAID BACK LUXURY....Located on the untouched, pristine East End of the Island. Situated approximately 21 miles East from Grand Cayman's international airport and approximately 1 mile past the sleepy village of East End.Compass Point Dive Resort Compromises of 28 luxurious one, two and three bedroom oceanfront and poolside condominiums, each with their own private patio or balcony. Each condominium is beautifully appointed with stylish island decor and fully equipped with all of the comforts of home. New in 2013, Eagle Ray's Bar & Grill, dockside overlooking the Caribbean Sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz and Despegar.com so you can book your Compass Point Dive Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Compass Point Dive Hotel East End
- Compass Point Dive Resort Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands