55 steps from your patio, across beach to the sea

Saved Save
You added 55 steps from your patio, across beach to the sea to your Saves list.
Activities for kids

travelerg...
Antioch
“Relaxation, relaxation, relaxation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 for a stay in September 2012
person found this review helpful

We did a timeshare trade for The Reef Resort on Grand Cayman Island and had the most relaxing vacation ever. Since it was September, it was not crowded which was great. We never had a problem getting a beach chair to relax in unlike most of the mega resorts. We were on the 2nd floor of the two story building (202A) and I loved it. Some people like the first floor where you can just walk out on the beach but I found those a bit intrusive. Just personal preference. We were very close to the office which I liked. There is an elevator in the far end of the 3rd story building and they do connect. The suites are spacious, well decorated and clean. We never even saw a bug while there. The bedroom was huge and the top floor had very tall ceilings which helped with the spaciousness. The bed was very comfortable and I usually have trouble with that at hotels. There were two closets which was nice for separating his and her's clothes. There are ceiling fans in the living and dining area and bedroom. The balcony was great to look over the ocean, but it was not separated from the lock-off which makes it awkward. I noticed some have a railing separating them but ours did not. A couple did rent the lock-off but moved after the first night because of the lack of privacy while sitting outside. If you use the lock-off with your party, then I would think that is not an issue. Some of the other buildings looke like they had more privacy on the balconies.Yes, the TV's are small because of the Murphy beds, but you really don't go there to watch TV. The beach was great but you do need water shoes as the water has rocks in it. The outside bar was great and we didn't really eat there much since we either cooked (very simple and easy things) or ventured out to explore the island. The rum punch was a hit though. Cayman is expensive, period. There is a charge for electricity and we paid $260 at checkout, but your trade confirmation does state that. The staff was great, especially the concierge Kathy. Very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable as was most of the staff. We were missing a can opener and I went downstairs and the front desk said she would send one up. I stopped for a minute at the outside bar to glance at the menu and by the time I got to the room, my husband said they already brought one up. You are on the other side of the island which I first thought I might not like. After going into town (Georgetown) twice, we were always happy to return to our little retreat. It feels more like an island on the east side. Yes the pools are small but since it wasn't crowded, this was not an issue. There are a few other restaurants in the area but the closest one across the street was closed. Some businesses do close down during this season, but it was not an issue. If you want to explore the island you do need a car. They drive on the left side on the road and the car. If you just want to stay put, you could check with the resort on the bus that goes into town each day. You do need to pay for wireless connectivity which is the down side. They were upgrading their system so it was down for a few hours here and there. We chose not to use the wireless since I did get a global plan from our provider, but the reception on the east side was pretty much non-existent for us (Verizon). We would catch up on messages when going into town, but since we were there to relax, we really didn't care what was going on in the world. I would definitely recommend this place and if you go, I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

4 of 5 stars How easy was it to book the property? 3 of 5 stars How helpful were the directions to the property?
5 of 5 stars Bedding & mattresses 4 of 5 stars Kitchen & utensils
5 of 5 stars Bathroom cleanliness 4 of 5 stars Other facilities & amenities
5 of 5 stars Service
Liked best: It was not a mega-resort and therefore, not crowded and everyone was friendly.
Liked least: The rocky bottom of the beach and lack of any kind of phone signal and having to pay to get one.
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Interested in this property?
Make Inquiry
Check in
Check out
Guests
from
$159
Night
Week
Additional fees may be applied by owner
Make Inquiry
Owner
Lyall W.
Speaks English
Listed since : Aug 2012
Calendar Updated: 613 days ago
Note: Response rate information for this owner is unavailable.
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Listing is Free!
Protect your privacy
Get more exposure
Set up your free listing