“The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.........but a great time overall!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Morritt's Tortuga Club & Resort

You added Morritt's Tortuga Club & Resort to your Saves list
Morritt's Tortuga Club & Resort
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   2289 Queen_s Highway Colliers, East End KY1-1106, Grand Cayman   |
Trumbull, CT
“The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.........but a great time overall!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

There is a difference between the Morritt's Tortuga Club and Morritt's Grand. They are the same overall resort, but the Tortuga Club is technically the older buildings which are not all on the ocean, while the Grand are two newer four story buildings all with direct ocean front/beach views. We had a unit in the Grand and I am sure it is MUCH better. The unit looked just like it does on the internet (for a change) and the view was spectacular. It was not extremely clean, as we had to re-clean the floors ourselves to have them not creep us out. The bathrooms are OK, but no tiled showers or anything like that. The fridge ran water all over the floor and you had to keep your finder on the toaster buttons to keep the bread down, etc. Overall though, we were pleased with the unit, and we have been in much worse for sure. Just do not expect the Ritz Carlton. Please be aware that this resort is isolated on the eastern, remote, and much windier side of the island. This is both good and bad. I had no Verizon cell service at all (once again, both good and bad). The common resort computers to access the internet usually required a wait and only 2, or sometimes 3, out of 5 were working at any given time. Since it is remote they have you over a barrel as far as prices go. The local grocery store, located in a commercial building owned by the resort, is across the street and has the essentials, but it is a bit pricey. Watch dates on milk, bread, etc., as we found stuff on the shelves many days past the expiration date. Grand Cayman is a nice island with a higher standard of living than most islands. The Cayman Island dollar (CI) is actually worth more than the US dollar (1 CI to 1.25 USD), which combined with high pricing to begin with, makes this island an expensive one for sure. Dinners with 4 adults and 2 young boys routinely cost us between $250 and $300 (i.e., Tukuk [Sp?], which had a great outside deck to eat right along the ocean about a mile or two south of Morritt's.).

You need a car! We did not plan on having one, due to concern over driving on the wrong side of the road, but it was not that bad to get used to. With the van we were able to visit the other side of the island, including the main town of Georgetown (typical island cruise ship port city), the Turtle Farm (cool for kids, but overpriced), etc. They have a car museum next to the Turtle Farm and Dolphin Experience which apparently has a good collection (Ferrari, Mercedes, Batman car, etc.), but we did not get to visit. Rum Point was a nice area with an excellent restaurant and informal beach grill. This is also where you catch the Red Sail Sports catamaran sailing boat for the sunset cruise and trip to Stingray City and snorkeling, both of which were great. All Red Sail Sports people at both the Morritt's Resort and at Rum Point were EXCELLENT! (Mostly Aussies and Brits). The Waverunner attendants from Red Sail at Morritt's were a blast. The botanic garden is also on the eastern side of the island and worth a visit.

The general vibe from the resort workers and islanders was not rude at all, but not overly friendly and service oriented. The food at the main outside resort bar & grill was pretty good, especially the fish & chips, but the service was really not good at all. The guy running the main swim-up ocean pool bar kept playing rap-based island music way too loud which was very annoying to everyone I spoke to. He was enjoying it, but did not seem to care that we were not and got a bit mouthy when we told him we would rather just some relaxing Reggae at a softer volume. This situation made it hard to relax and read at the main pool, on the beach, and even on your balcony in our units. Speaking of the pools, I find it very hard to believe that out of three pools not one was heated. For most of the week the pools were so freezing nobody was going in them. Even our kids were having a hard time, which I thought was impossible. The ocean was warmer than the pools. Everyone was crammed in the hot tub.

Overall the vacation was a good one and the spectacular view from our unit over the beach and ocean made it all worth it. Morritt's, from all accounts, after speaking with owners, used to be nicer. They had a lot of damage and were closed for a year after hurricane Ivan in 2004. They have never fully recovered. The kids program, which they talk about on the internet, was a joke and non-existent when we were there (We were told the lady who runs it had the flu). The loaner sports equipment is sparse and not in good shape at all. They have a putting green, no putters and don't seem to even know what one is. The gym is horrible and not even worth going to. The equipment is old and much of it non-functional. They need to upgrade these issues. The Grand has a "Gold Crown" designation from RCI, while the Tortuga Club has a Silver Crown, which tells you something about RCI and it's rating system.

OK, overall, It is not honeymoon nice or Sandal's, but overall a good place for a island remote location vacation as long as you know what you are going to get.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Wilmington, DE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

Spend Thanksgiving week at the Morritt's in a 1 bedroom 3000 block. I'm not much for air conditioning and prefer open the sliding doors/windows but we could used some fans in the living room and bedroom. Our balcony was overlooking the middle pool which was under renovation - bummer! The workers were drilling the bottom and sides of the pool so it was very noisy and dusty. At the slow pace they were working, the pool might be usable in 3 months. We had breakfast at the next resort The Reef - was much more cozier and friendlier. Thanksgiving dinner was not the greatest - very slow serving, had to ask for this and that - how can you forget the cranberry sauce! Better off to have your meals outside the resort - Over the Hedge, Tukka.... Would not recommend this resort at this point but yes maybe in few month after the pool is done and some of the renovations/up-dates in the rooms.

omaha, ne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

We were booked for Tortuga, but called and, due to a last-minute cancellation, got moved to the Grand. It's really one big resort, but the Grand units are newer, oceanfront and a little larger. It is a breathtaking setting - how can you not love looking out your window and seeing the waves? Our unit was clean and well-appointed. Daily housekeeping was adequate. The oceanside pool is always a little chilly because of the tradewinds. The pool near the Tortuga units was much more comfortable - but no view. We had no qualms with the service, though our key didn't work when we arrived, either. But we just chose to have dinner at David's - delicious - and when we were done, our lock had been re-programmed.

Pros:

Oceanfront location
Peaceful side of the island
David's Restaurant is fantastic
Grand units are very nice

Cons:

Gym is small
The opening night reception was not worth it - food was tasteless and entertainment was cheesy
If you want to take advantage of what Georgetown has to offer, it's a 50-minute trip each way. We did this five times and it got a little old. (There is little to do around the resort - unless you just want to lay on the beach all day, you absolutely need a car!)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2010

Just spent a week there on an exchange. I don’t own and never would. Beautiful grounds and the Grand is where they put me - great 1 Bedroom w/ balcony overlooking the fabulous view. It’s all you need, right? Well customer service would have been helpful. I had to book my tour to Stingray City at The Reef Resort next door. Staff unnecessarily rude at Morrits, especially a gal Debbie who had been there for 18 years. I was willing to forgive all until they messed up my return ride to the airport and I nearly missed my flight. You really DONT need car on this island. I took an island tour from 7 Mile Beach which dropped me and my luggage off @ the Moritts, and really, for $5 US you can take a bus/minivan from 7 Mile Beach - half of that if you start from Georgetown. The Reef Resort has transportation around that part of the island, and it’s just next door. Morrits is not permitted to drive around the East Island. A car would have been a waste of money for me. Grocery store just 5 minute walk from the resort. Just don’t expect a helpful or friendly staff, and don’t let their incompetent attitude get in the way of an otherwise good time if you stay there. If I go to the Caymans again, I would stay on 7 Mile beach.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Cleveland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

Spend Thanksgiving @ Morritts Grand and the trip couldn't have gone any better. Weather was perfect sunny and mid 80's everyday. The resort was in pristine condition and the staff was awesome! Love the isolation of the east end away from the hustle and bustle of Georgetown. Ate @ Tukka, Lighthouse, Mimi's dock, Over the Edge, Kaibo, Rum Point, Miss Vivines and the Lobster Pot. All were good to excellent! Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Adelphi, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2010

Upon arrival to the resort, the front desk staff was pleasant, not overly cheerful, but not rude until the key did not work to get into our room on the second try. When we arrived about 5 other people experienced problems with their keys working.

The appearance of the room was not what I was expecting...very old, the stove look like something off of the 70's TV show "Good Times", the bathroom also old and ghetto looking.

We did not have wash towels or a bath mat for the floor. Had to call the front desk and the person was rude. We opted not to have daily maid service but on the third day when we received maid service, she took the dirty wash towels but did not replace them with clean towels. Had to ask one of the maintenance guys for towels, he hooked us up.

The television, you only get one...not in the bedroom, was about a 17" tube tv with terrible reception. WOW, we had about 10 channels and two of them were USA.

My husband and I spent 7 of the most uncomfortable sleeping nights. The bed was just awful. Every movement of the other person was felt by the other and I swear that bed must be a "Resort Queen" because it was small.

The room had two sliding glass doors but only one of them had a screen which would fall off the rails when you moved it...ours was not the only one this seemed to be a common problem.

On Monday morning, we ate breakfast at the only Restaurant and the service was pitiful. Slow, the waitress could not get the order right. My husband ordered Belgium waffles and she didn't bring out any butter. He asked for butter but she never brought it out so he asked someone else and it took over 5 minutes, his waffle was cold. I asked for decaf coffee and was told "we don't have decaf today"..WHAT!

Oh yeah, the Welcome Information meeting was a waste of time. We couldn't hear the soft-spoken woman, who just took over from the person who quit, and she didn't know anything. It was nothing more than a ruse to get you to meet your "Personal Concierge" so that he could get you to take the Timeshare tour.

They have 3 pools and 3 hot tubs. Because of the aftermath of "Tomas" the wind was blowing pretty hard so you really couldn't enjoy the beach at the resort. The pools were too cold to go into. One hot tub was TOO COLD, one hot tub was WARM, and one hot tub was JUST RIGHT but it cut off at 9:40p.m.

The activities were a joke. The staff didn't seem to know anything and all we kept hearing was, I'm new or so and so just left and I just took over...Blah Blah Blah.

Well, I did experience a few positives...I talked and laughed with some very nice people.

I really enjoyed my massage and the therapist was very nice.

Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

My wife and I just returned from a week in the Caymans. Typically I am a very accepting of reviews and always look reviews as the worst case scenario. Unfortunately many of the reviewers were more right than even I expected. For full disclosure please note that we had transferred our timeshare from another island to Morritt’s so we were a guest and not a timeshare owner of Morritt’s and were consistently reminded of this. Our experience I am sure is somewhat unique and we were not in a newer building lastly we ended up checking out halfway through our trip and relocated to a more established resort on 7 mile.
In general, the entire resort could use training in customer service and property maintenance. I would recommend to the ownership a full training on how a large chain would treat guests.
First the positive highlights:
- Morrits is an economical place to stay on the quiet side of the island.
- You really can't mess up a view once you're on the beach and looking out into the water
- Howard the maintenance man was probably the only employee I would acknowledge had good customer service and genuinely wanted to help
Now the reality:
- there is a substantial difference in the phrase “ocean view” and “Ocean front” I would recommend confirming which one you are in.
- The service from the front desk manager on down to the wait staff was inconsiderate / rude and unhelpful. The staff in general had a "we can't attitude help..."
- The entire resort is decorated with "wonderful" acknowledgements of the owner over the last 40 years. Please note the sarcasm that this comes off as his personal ego and chest pumping rather than deserving given the customer service.
- The units were built with residential quality materials and for the most part looked like they hired inexperienced installers as craftsmanship truly lacked. If you’re looking for Spa like experience you will only find a cramped bathroom with plastic showers, small sinks with the cheapest faucets you could find
- There isn't much in the way of sound deadening material between units so please be prepared for hearing the neighbors

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Morritt's Tortuga Club & Resort? Share your experiences!