“Good - Going to be GREAT!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Morritt's Tortuga Club & Resort

You added Morritt's Tortuga Club & Resort to your Saves list
Morritt's Tortuga Club & Resort
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   2289 Queen_s Highway Colliers, East End KY1-1106, Grand Cayman   |
Miami, Florida
“Good - Going to be GREAT!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed at Morritt's Tortuga Club during the third week of March. I want to begin by explaining my title. The property itself is in an absolutely fantastic location. The East End of Grand Cayman is absolutely beautiful and this property is truly "one of a kind". I stayed in a traditional one-bedroom unit. It was clean and featured a bedroom, livingroom, and full kitchen. The furnishings were a bit outdated but I think this may have just been in contrast to their new "Londoner" unit.

Upon arriving at the property, we took a tour of this new unit, and let me say that it is INCREDIBLE. Beautiful furnishings, an incredible kitchen, great amentities, and just an all around "updated" feel. While Morritt's Tortuga Club is currently GOOD, it is going to be GREAT with the addition of this new unit.

I never had a chance to eat dinner on property, however we had a great lunch at the bar that is over the water, as well as a great breakfast in the restaurant. We also attended a "party" where the govenor of the island attended as well as David Morritt (the owner). All in All it was a great vacation and I am looking forward to returning again.

Room Tip: Get an Oceanview!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Boonton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I just returned from Paradise. Check in was a bit slow because our room was not yet ready. Trust me when I tell you...it was well worth the wait. When you walk into your room and you're greeted with a view that takes your breath away, the memory of your wait starts to fade. (It also helps that while we waited for our room, we "suffered" at the dock bar with one of David's Cayman Lemonades...torture I tell you. Pure torture.

The staff was nothing short of stellar. From the girls at the front desk, to the maid service, to the bartenders, etc. Yes, the fact that the maids left their envelopes every day as a reminder that they should be tipped is a bit overkill. We moved them into a pile and carried on with our day. We needed a few extra towels...they brought them. Our screen door on our slider was broken. They fixed it.

On to the bar...David. Rob. Michelle...all of them...service with a smile. They knew what I wanted before I knew what I wanted. I've never felt so at home!

The pools...beautiful. Clean. Warm. Inviting.

The beach...spotless. Beautiful. out of a magazine.

The watersports. AMAZING. 5 stars. We took the sunset cruise, and although we did not get much of a sunset as it was cloudy, it was a great time. Learned so much history about the island, but some was forgotten as the "all you can drink rum punch" that was provided made things a little cloudy. Fantastic time. Then, we did the Jet Ski safari. A couple hour excursion led by Rob on Jet ski down the coast to a great spot that we hopped off and snorkeled. Saw some amazing sealife. This event was one of the many highlights of my stay.

I almost didn't go on this trip. My family was going, and I decided last minute to add myself on. This was after reading their Facebook page and checking out their pictures. It was so inviting, I just had to see it for myself. I will say that before arriving, I was disappointed to see that we would be staying as far away from the tourist area as possible. I couldn't be happier. After being here, I will never stay anywhere else on the island. It is a true retreat. An escape from everything, and I wouldn't change it for the world. I anxiously await my next visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Have you ever paid additional fees for electric? Ever seen a lost towel charge of over $30? Ever Not seen free internet even in the lobby or restaurant? How about having Everyone in your room being made to sign that you understand your belongings may be stolen? While the maid service did a good job, the daily envelope asking for a tip was a bit much. And, if on a condo exchange, know that we were told 2 companies currently own the property, and yours may not actually own beachfront, so even at 20% occupancy, we did not get one of the empty beachfront rooms. The 3 floors only had stair access, so I hope you are fit and ready to carry your own bags. There is also very little parking. If staff is working on anything else, like drawing up the daily (lack of) activities board, don't expect help until they are done. Skip the food there. And, if going this month, get ready for construction noise at the beach. Now, the dive shop was fantastic! The snorkeling under the doc is stunning. The access to the quiet side of the island is nice. But, pass this one up until they get their act together. It's going to cost you more than you expect and give a lower return than you deserve for this island.

• Stayed April 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

We had read mixed reviews so didn't know what to expect when we arrived. The check-in was really slow. Don't expect to get your room much before 4 unless you're a golden turtle club member. Once we got our room, we weren't disappointed again all week. We stayed in a 2 bedroom at the Grand and it was very nice. They were replacing dishwashers and fridges in our building that week which needed to be done. The furnishings could be updated, but they were in decent shape. There were more than enough kitchen supplies, and housekeeping came every day to tidy up. We checked in on Easter, but the pool and beach were SO much less crowded than the Marriott on 7 Mile where we had spent our first three days. We will definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2013
Woodinville, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Traveled to Morritt's in early March. We had a poolside room which was great for the kids (5,3, and a baby). The room was dated, but a good size for our family of 5. Housekeeping was daily. Beach was great for the kids. Loved the quiet East End. Nice to be able to walk to the grocery store, Italian restaurant and Subway. Booked through Interval International so it was a good value for pricey Caymans.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
East Stroudsburg, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed a week at the Morritt’s. The setting is away from all the action on Seven Mile Beach and provides a different experience of the Island. We had a one-bedroom oceanfront suite. The rooms were very well appointed with all the necessities in the kitchen and the view was terrific. We wished the apartment was a little cleaner, especially the bathroom. The grounds appeared to be well maintained and the noise from the construction (they are working on a new building in the middle of the resort) was minimal. The staff appeared to be professional and efficient.
Also, there was minimal contact from sales regarding “tours of the resort—purchasing timeshare”. They left several messages on the phone and leaflets at the door and that was it!
Since the resort is located in a somewhat isolated area of the island it is necessary to rent a car if you want to explore the island or to get more dining choices. It might be a good idea to get beach booties since the seashore in front of the resort is full of sea vegetation and rocks. If you want to have a Palapa at the beach wake up early and reserve one with beach towels because after 7-7:30AM all will be gone and there will be no shade.
Overall it is a nice place to explore the East end of the Island and to have a quiet relaxing beach vacation.

Room Tip: Try to get to an ocean front unit if view is important to you. For privacy request an unit in the tw...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Our stay at Morritts Tortuga club from March 17 through March 24, 2013 Was exactly what we both needed. The East End of Grand Cayman is completely opposite Georgetown and 7 mile Beach. Quiet, peaceful, spacious, perfect. Plenty of good activities like snorkeling kayaking whatever you might want available right out your door on the beach. We were in a third floor penthouse in the old building; and after reading other reviews which were so critical of the outdated decor etc. etc. I was pleasantly surprised to find it perfect for our needs. Admittedly the furnishings are a little dated, here and there things could use painted, but overall extremely well-maintained absolutely perfectly clean and oh so very comfortable. And then, there's the VIEW!!!!! This is the last building in this complex the farthest north, and by far the quietest. The Grand may be more modern, But it's surrounded by noisy things like pools and restaurants and bars and of course the construction of the newest building which is on going every day at 8 AM. Thankfully we heard none of it; Instead we heard the sound of the ocean. :-) I would highly recommend this resort to anyone who can get there.
We rented a car from Marshall's recommended by friends of friends, Again so gracious so accommodating and price friendly. Caymen is not an inexpensive place to visit-So expect everything to cost 2 to 3 times what it would in the states. Groceries are available down the street at a small Foster's; a larger one is available in Savanna. We both loved the availability of all the fresh seafood but I especially missed fruits and vegetables. They're not plentiful and not the quality that we're used to. We are so spoiled here.
We enjoyed our day at Rum point and of course the stingray swim; We booked it through Redsail at our resort-This is my third experience and by far the best I've ever had. The guides get a wonderful job.
I truly just can't say enough about this resort and this end of Grand Cayman; you just have to see it to believe it!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Morritt's Tortuga Club & Resort? Share your experiences!