“Piece of Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Reef Resort

You added Wyndham Reef Resort to your Saves list
Wyndham Reef Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2221 Queens Highway, PO Box 30865 | Colliers, East End KY1-1204, Grand Cayman (Formerly The Reef Resort, A Wyndham Affiliate)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East End
Copake, New York, United States
“Piece of Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I ama planner. We work hard for our money and I wanted this trip to be amazing.I have a few friends who are travel agents who’s expertise I take very seriously. We wanted quiet, beach, and relaxing vibe. I called the resort a few times to get a sense of the people on staff and they were always very friendly and accommodating. Every question was never a bother and emails were promptly answered. This vacation was all on me and I wanted to make sure that my family was happy so that we can all enjoy one another. You can see that choosing a destination was not easy and a lot went into the planning.

Because of a medical concern that my husband has, we needed ground floor. While nothing was promised, upon check in we were given room 103A which could not have been more perfect. I never use the word “perfect’ as I am a pessimist, however, in this case it is true. We did not have to walk far and if hubby or my son, who is 5 needed, to nap, our beach chairs were never far from the room. The room was already cooled off, clean, and bigger than I expected.

We threw our baiting suits on and headed for lunch on the beach. Imagine my children’s delight when they realized that they could order lunch then play in the ocean while their food was prepared! This was a great sign that I had made the right choice! Sandra and Doris are the most amazing waitresses. My kids’ food was cut up, they prepared what they wanted the way they wanted, and all with a smile. You just know that they are genuine people who really take the time to get to know their guests. We participated in the Deluxe Meal Plan so we interacted with them a lot. Even though it was hot and there were other customers, Sandra and Doris always took the time to check in with us and get a hug from my kids.

Daina at the concierge was fabulous. Nothing was ever a problem, from arranging a swim horseback ride on the beach, a sunrise stingray city trip, to getting my 8 year old daughter’s hair braided. My kids felt comfortable to ask her to join them to feed the fish from the dock, and she was always happy to indulge them!

O’Shain was also fantastic. His happy and accommodating nature will take him far in life. Towels, checkout, telling us that the snake in the road was not poisonous, everything was spot on.

We had the pleasure of meeting Martinne (marketing)when hubby was showing pictures of the dead snake. She came to the room to introduce herself and it was like I was meeting a long lost relative, the sister I never had kind of thing. Her personality makes you feel so welcomed. As I write this, I can’t believe how I felt given that I am such a skeptic by nature. The people at The Reef changed this dramatically and that is no small feat!

At dinner on the last night, my husband turned to me and said, “you did good Kimmie”. You can’t begin to know how that made me feel. I was able to make our dream come true of a relaxing, rejuvenating, and easygoing vacation, something I can now look forward to every year.

Room Tip: If you have kids and want to walk out to a pool, don't be afraid to ask for a ground floor room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Christoffel National Park, Curacao
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We just returned from a week at the Reef Resort and I had to see if I had missed complaints about the Sea grass.
The Reef Resort is immaculate, quiet and the view is awesome. I however enjoy a beach vacation where you can walk into the water and relax NOT POSSIBLE at the Reef. The seagrass is abundant and swirls sound your ankles no matter how close to shore or how far out you go. The beach is pristine, the Reef staff rake the beach every morning and truck out the grass that has washed ashore but the water was just too infested to be enjoyable. It is true that the beach at The Reef is very uncrowed but my guess that is because no one wants to go in the water. After the first day I stayed on the sand and went to Rum Point when I wanted to go in the water.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We love our Reef...another great stay. The staff was was always warm and helpful, a very nice new night manager was recently hired, and it's sad Shirley must leave from the cleaning staff. We will miss her!!! Please bring her back!!!! It was special to see her before she leaves next week.
No complaints to report. However, the T.V. service was rough this trip and the bed mattresses are getting worse. So painful after a 15 night stay, is there anyting you can do here???
Also, can the staff monitor the pool a little more frequently? We're not asking for lifeguards, but the jumping off the rocks is quite annoying. We have young children, so many kids jumping around makes it hazardous sometime...it's work enough to watch-out for flying objects...just something to consider.

See you soon!

Cumberland, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

The Reef is located on other side of island from beautiful, yet busier and much pricier Seven Mile Beach. All services and amenities here as any other great beach resort, even a shopping center across the street for convenience. Extremely clean and well-maintained, friendly and helpful staff. Perfect for families (even have a great kids program, including a kids' pizza/activity night so parents can enjoy a night out) or couples. The beach is beautiful, tho better suited to snorkeling than just bathing, but there is an area to do so. Recommend a rental car, just a short, very beautiful and relaxing drive to anywhere else on island you'd like to go. Also a great restaurant, Tukka, just down the street...can't wait to go back here!

• Stayed April 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Spent July 4th week at The Reef Resort. Great facilities and staff. Perfect East End location for diving the North Walls from Rum Point and East End dive sites. Quiet and relaxed location compared to the West End/Seven mile beach area of Grand Cayman.

David

Waterloo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

For our first tropical vacation with our two young children (ages 2 &5), we chose Grand Cayman for our destination. The popular and crowded Seven Mile Beach did not appeal to us as we wanted a real escape from the busyness of life at home. Thankfully, we found the Reef Resort located on the peaceful and less populated east side of the island. We were so happy with everything about our time there. We stayed in a beautiful and large two-bedroom condo located away from the bar and restaurant. We had a full kitchen and everyone slept happily with the separate rooms. We had a pool right outside our building, but also used the other three pools located by the main buildings. The staff were genuinely kind and friendly, from the front desk to the cleaning staff. We felt very safe the whole time at our resort and enjoyed the quiet atmosphere. A unique feature of this resort is that ALL rooms are beachfront and the kids loved being able to just run out on the beach!

We rented a car for our week and would highly recommend doing so as you can get around on your own at your own pace. We visited the whole island, including our favourites: the Cayman Turtle Farm, Rum Point and Star Fish Point. For authentic local souvenirs, we recommend stopping by the Bodden Town Art Shop, which supports the work of 25 local artists. The owner is sweet and proudly supports the beautiful local skills. Far too many shops carry items made in China and India as well as items that can be purchased in the US or Canada. We are so happy to have such unique souvenirs of our incredible time on Grand Cayman.

A couple important things to note is that the beach itself is beautiful but the reef comes right in close to the water's edge. So there isn't a lot of reef-free water in which to play, especially for the kids. However, the beach is beautiful and the pools are great fun for the kids. To enjoy shallow, clear, calm water, we made a couple trips to Rum Point. But we happily returned to our quiet Reef Resort for true R&R. It was perfect for both the kids and us adults.

Secondly, we chose to buy our own food, and only ate out a couple times during our stay. There is a Foster's Food Fair across the street, which was very convenient for groceries, but it is a smaller store so the selection was a bit limited. It is worthwhile stocking up at the Fosters food fair close to the airport as it is much bigger and the selection is great.

Room Tip: If looking for quiet, choose one of the buildings away from the pool and bar (main buildings).
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Peachtree City, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

5 night stay with the family in mid-June. Quick and friendly check-in. Booked a 2 bedroom condo online........got a one bedroom studio which attached to a one bedroom condo. A little different, but okay. Entire property was very clean, as was our unit (maid service included). Windy the entire time (brochure pictures must have been taken on a very rare day), so not the classic Caribbean "blue" water. All rooms are oceanfront with great views. Entire resort was uncrowded our entire visit.....never a problem getting a beach chair or a table on the sand at the beach bar and grill. The beach sand is soft, but still has some outcroppings of rock/dead coral. If you're going to do any significant walking on the beach (more than a couple hundred yards) water shoes are a must. Cell phone service is spotty at best, and didn't even bring a computer to try the resort's Wi-Fi. A rental car is probably a good idea no matter where you're staying on Grand Cayman, and a virtual must if you're anywhere but Seven Mile Beach. Food is expensive -think United States prices plus 50% or more (and an unfavorable U.S. to Cayman $ exchange rate). If you're doing the grocery thing, hit the Foster's near the airport for non-perishables before you head east to the resort (about a 40 minute drive). Then hit the mini-Foster's across the street from the Reef for all of your perishables and other cold items (closed Sundays). If you're doing any resort sponsored activities, confirm all times and dates ---water aerobics/yoga were at a different time than stated, Barefoot Man is no longer on Tuesday nights, etc. We did the White Sands Stingray City excursion (they have a booth right on the property). Friendly folks who are always on top of the weather and all other details.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach
#6 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 915 reviews
Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort
Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 3,370 reviews
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#7 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 1,182 reviews
The Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman
The Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman
#2 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 1,873 reviews

Been to Wyndham Reef Resort? Share your experiences!