“The Reef is the perfect getaway for a relaxing, quiet, memorable vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Reef Resort, A Wyndham Affiliate

Save Saved
You added The Reef Resort, A Wyndham Affiliate to your Saves list
The Reef Resort, A Wyndham Affiliate
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Queens Highway, PO Box 30865 | Colliers, East End KY1-1204, Grand Cayman (Formerly The Reef Resort)   |
Special Price
Fall Into Paradise
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East End
New York City, New York
“The Reef is the perfect getaway for a relaxing, quiet, memorable vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

This was our second year in a row at the Reef and we loved it just as much as last year. The staff is extremely accommodating and attentive from the minute you check-in to check-out. The concierge is readily available to assist with planning any adventures you may want to take during your stay. Most importantly the resort is beautiful. The entire place is beachfront so you really can't get a bad view. The pool rests in between the resort and the beach and the whole atmosphere of the resort is relaxation. We did the all-inclusive, which if you like to have a few drinks is a great value. The food was great especially breakfast and dinner, the lunch menu could use a little sprucing up but was still good. The bar staff is GREAT, you really get to know them through your stay and develop a personal connection. All in all we absolutely love the Reef and hope to be back next year!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Lubec
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

This place is more a time share than an resort. We totally enjoyed the quiet location.There is a couple of restaurants at The Reef and at the resort next door and a Italian restaurant across the street.There is also a subway right at The Reef that was convenient for picnics. There is also a grocery store, a liquor store and a store with clothes, snorkel gear etc..The snorkeling at The Reef was GREAT the fish were every where especially around the piers. About an hour before dark you could see the lobster come out from under the reefs. If you plan on exploring the island a car is a must, but if you are planning to just kick back everything is right there. I would advise bug spray at night, the no-see-em bites have a delayed reaction on the swelling and itching. We was home for four days before he broke out with chicken pock looking bumps and I was home for nine days. We love the island, you can go anywhere and have a beach all to yourself. We dined at Over the edge a couple of times, it was delicious and it is only a 10 or 15 minute ride heading towards Rum Point. The botanical garden was incredible. D & J seafood in East End has not only the nicest people you could ever meet but also the freshest seafood. When we go back to the Island we would defiantly stay at The Reef.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Topsham, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

This is our fourth year at TheReef and it just gets better every year. My wife, and the couple we travel with, love it so much we bought into it two years ago. We have visted other Islands over the last 7 years but no other resort beats these beach front units. The snorkling is some of the finest and being divers you can not beat Tortuga Divers next door.

We were please with the new directon that staff has taken and want to especially thank Jake & Kevin for all the help they showed us this year. We can not wait to come back. Feel free to contact me with and questions.......

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Concord, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We exchanged into a 2 bedroom unit from one of our timeshare exchange companies. We visited the resort the last week of April, 2013. Found the resort with no problems, the 45 min. drive from the airport went quick.

Upon arriving we had some terrible first impressions and we were quite worried that we would hate it and not want to hang out at the resort as we had planned. The view looking at the resort from the road, is very dumpy looking, so we were worried when we pulled into the parking lot and then the lobby was so underwhelming. We usually spend quite a bit of time at our resort so these first impressions made us cringe. After checking in quickly (quick is always nice) we went to our assigned unit on the 2nd floor. We were expecting modern appliances, furnishings and décor, as it was rated a Gold Premiere Resort, but to our disappointment it seemed dated and worn. Okay, not a Marriott or Starwood as are used to but let's keep an open mind. That's when we went out to our balconies, having a 2 bedroom, we had 2 balcony sections that were shared together (which would be awkward if we had not had a 2 bedroom and had to share with strangers). Looking at the view and the closeness to the beach and pool, we started to get excited!! We have never had a unit this close to the beach before, usually we are thrilled to have an ocean view, but beachfront, it was fantastic! This was going to be just fine. The next morning we enjoyed our coffee while watching the sunrise and any disappointments we had the night before started to fade away. We picked out which beach lounge chairs we would like to sit at, a perfect spot just under the palms trees, which we loved, instead of the usual umbrellas. After breakfast, we claimed our spot, which we easily had all week, as the beach was uncrowded and quiet, another great aspect. We were within steps to the beach, pool or snorkeling, this was going to be excellent. And it was, we loved it, so all of our first impressions, were no longer relevant, we loved our palm tree shaded lounges on the quiet beach, a few steps back to our unit or pool and the snorkeling so close with much to see. We really had a fabulous time, we all agreed that we loved the island and it was our best family vacation as of yet. We had the perfect amount of beach, lazy time, snorkeling and adventure on this trip and we hope to go back someday.

Mostly explained the positive things in detail above, but as a summary: The Island itself was very nice and we enjoyed all the areas we ventured to (including Seven Mile Beach, Stingray City, etc...) and our favorite island compared to other islands we have visited (Dominican, Jamaica, Turks&Caicos and Aruba). Local restaurants were delicious and we had many great meals. The resort's all beachfront units, location of our unit and our building, snorkeling onsite, White Sands Water Sports at resort (they are great, Sunrise Stingray tour was the best, highly recommend), spaciousness of our 2 bedroom unit, beach all to ourselves, pool within steps, convenience of a liquor store and small grocery store across the street, palm trees on the beach for shade, these all were the things that we loved about the resort.

There were some negative things, but things that would not deter us from returning: The lobby (small, plain, not a good first impression), the restaurant (we all ordered meals that were not very good, so we didn't want to return), the unit was a little worn and outdated, patio furniture needs replacing, the beach lounge chairs were so worn they were uncomfortable, a little TLC maintenance on the buildings were needed (and I think they were starting at the far end with painting), the beach needed more cleaning (they raked up the seaweed everyday but the amount of straws alone on the beach could easily be fixed if they included cleaning that up as they are doing the seaweed). Those were a few of the minor negative things, things that if fixed I would have given a 5 star rating. Just a side note worth mentioning: we also didn't like the whole Castaway Buildings section, pool and beach area, I do believe that if we were stuck down at that end, we would have had a different experience and I would hope if we do go back, that we would be going back with the intention of staying at the Reef buildings end of the resort.

So if you want simple, love quiet beaches practically all to yourself, enjoy a palm tree, some great snorkeling and want a beachfront unit, this is the place for you. If you have little kids that need a sandy place to swim, not a good choice, if you are party goer and want to be wild and dance and have a nightlife, not a good choice, if you like plush, luxury and want to be waited on, not a good choice. For everyone else, a fabulous choice!

Room Tip: Request a Reef Building Unit. If you want quieter, ask for a Reef building unit a little bit away f...
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

This place is first and foremost a time share not a dedicated resort (hence this is how I will refer to it). The concierge desk will tell you as much and even try to entice you into a time share presentation for some free activity tickets. The Reef Time Share is about 45-60 minutes drive away from the airport, depending on traffic, and is located in a fairly remote portion of the island. Unless you rent a car I would not recommend it, and even if you do I still probably wouldn't recommend it if your planned activities are in town.

I will forego a detailed review of the actual property because pretty much everything that "curacaovisitor" says just below is entirely correct and almost identical to my experience at the facility. In fact my rating would have been 3/5 if not for the below described experience. The only additional points that I would make about the property are that Internet is NOT included and is quite expensive (we paid $40 for a week's worth of access...because, well you really don't have a choice; you're already on the most secluded part of the island, not having internet you're sure to go stir crazy quite quickly). Also, I was blatantly lied to by the bar staff (you get some rum punch vouchers when you arrive and when I went to the bar to ask if this is where I can redeem said vouchers the waitress told me to keep walking further on down the beach, had I listened to her and kept walking I’d probably have ended up in Georgetown).

All of the above would rate this time share out at average or just a bit lower. However, they also run an activity booking service through the White Sands Water Sports arm of their organization. It is an experience with this part of the time share that earned it a poor rating in my book. We booked a trip to Stingray City through the concierge and were told to be at the dock by Kaibo on the North Side of the island by a certain time. We arrived in the designated location 10 minutes early to find not a trace of our tour or the boat we would be going on. After about 15 minutes waiting we asked another captain to give the time share a call to figure out what was going on. They called back 20 minutes later to inform us that the captain had left early and without us! Now I don't know if the captain overlooked our names on his passenger log or if they were simply never added to it by the concierge staff that booked our trip (judging by the mental acuity of the concierge staff I would lean towards the later explanation; they weren't in a word sharp) but I really could care less as this was unacceptable. I asked them to re-book us on the morning trip the following day and was informed that it was full and there was nothing they could do despite their mistake. That morning trip was the last opportunity we had to visit Stingray City as we had a late afternoon flight back to the States. They did offer us some courtesy credits for the hotel to make up for their mistake, but these were useless to us since we were leaving the following day and didn't have time to use them, nor did this make up for the cost of the lost experience.

I didn't write this review lightly because I was quite angry when this first happened. I let it sit for almost two weeks after getting back to make sure I was able to provide a cool-headed, rational, and honest review. So take head, stay in town and if you do happen to wonder out to this lonely time share make sure that YOU DO NOT BOOK YOUR TOURS WITH WHITE SANDS!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
JakeMorgan72, Head Concierge at The Reef Resort, A Wyndham Affiliate, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review and to allow us to clarify some of the points that you have raised.

Please note that below review is not referring to a unit managed or owned by theReef Resort. The unit you have stayed in is privately owned and was not rented through an agent for theReef or theReef Resort or its website directly. Our website thereefdotcom will only list the amenities that can be found in one of our units. We would also like to note that all units at theReef do have a refrigerator and all amenities from soaps to papertowel, dishwashing liquid, etc. depending on the room and kitchen type chosen.

Our internet was completely updated last year and as a result we are now able to offer some of the fastest and most reliable broadband anywhere on the island. Our WiFi offers complete coverage of our resort including the beach. Our feedback has shown that guests prefer the option of paying for a package to receive a high quality, high speed service. Tickets can be purchased from 1 hour to 2 weeks, as such you only ever need to purchase what you need.

We are truly sorry that you were not able to make the sunrise Stingray City that you had booked for. The Captain did indeed leave without you and their procedures have now been changed to ensure this cannot happen again. As you’ll recall we gave you 2 complimentary sessions at our onsite health spa which you enjoyed the day of your departure.

We are truly sorry that your vacation was less than perfect however I thank you again for allowing us to clarify your points.

We would all like to wish you the very best for your future vacations.
Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My wife and I visited the Reef Resort to celebrate our 4-year anniversary. If you stay at this property, you will have as much fun and enjoy it as you make it. The property is by no means luxurious; however, it is fine. It is definitely more of a timeshare/apartment construct (perhaps even a "motel) than a hotel resort. Our room was rather small; there were few "extras" (no fridge, no free internet, no free local calls). There was a safe in the closet that was free to use. The view from the balcony of our room was stellar; the view from the balcony is what makes this property worth staying at. However, the balcony to our room was shared with the room next to us. I didn't care for that. I was startled a bit when, thinking I was alone on my balcony, heard a voice next to me say "that's a nice view, huh?" I was like, "what the ..." and looked to my left only to see a man standing next to me. Not cool.

The beach side bar is rather small and the staff rather unattentive and rude. The property manager was kind and seem genuinely sorry that we experienced some rude service by the bar staff. The dining areas (one a larger upstairs restaurant and the other an small, indoor downstairs location) served adequate food. As with the lodging area, the dining accomodations were nothing stellar - just adequate. The pool on the grounds is nice and has a nice view of the sea. The property is very isolated - which is nice if you want a vacation where you truly get away from it all (which is what we wanted; thus we enjoyed this property a lot). We got particular enjoyment seeing the crabs scurrying across the street from the beach area to the forest area during the dark hours. However, when you look out on the horizon at the terrain in front of the hotel, you feel like you are looking at some vast lagoon in Saigon during the Vietnam War! There is a small strip center across the street that had a Dunkin Donuts (free wi-fi) with reasonably priced breakfast items (this is where we ate breakfast every morning), a bodega (this is where we bought bottled water, snacks, stamps, etc.) and a souvenir store (which is where I bought my wife an overpriced bikini that she just had to have because it was "cute"). There is a great restaurant nearby -Tukkas - that will come and pick you up and drop you off. The food there was excellent. There is also a local company, Tropicana Tours, that provides tours for a reasonable cost - and they will pick you up from the Reef Resort and take you around the island. The driver we had was nice and even took us on a short diversion to Popeyes (yes, there is a Popeyes Chicken in Georgetown). The Tortuga Rum Co. (ask for free samples of the rum cake) and the Turtle Farm were nice. The visit to Hell was o.k. but can be skipped - all you do is look at an open field for 2 minutes and then get ushered into a souvenir shop.

In all, this is a place to go to sleep, eat, lay on the beach, and not give a care about anything else.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, all feedback is greatly appreciated and can only help us better improve our overall guest experiences.

Again thank you for the feedback on the resort. I’m very disappointed to hear that you found the service of some of our staff lacking and I’m glad you reported that instance to our duty manager to have it resolved.

Last year we replaced our entire WiFi system and are now able to offer some of the fastest and most reliable broadband on island. Our feedback shows that our guests prefer to have internet of this quality for a nominal charge. Internet passes can be obtained from 1 hour up to 2 weeks.

In regards to general issues:

Unfortunately, local phone calls are not toll free in the Cayman Islands. The phone providers on the islands do charge for all calls. However, our full time concierge service is there to make any and all arrangements for your excursions. As such there is no need to pay for any local calls.

We are really glad you enjoyed our peaceful, secluded location and would love to welcome you back in the future.

Best Wishes
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

A nice place, 45 mins away from the airport. I think an area that will be developed in the next years to come. There are two resorts next to each other, that is all. Over the road, an Italian restaurant, a clothes shop and a supermarket. The Reef is really for owners, and is geared for owners. We rented, probably from an owner, all through Jet Blue. Everything at the resort is free for owners and a fee for non owners. Water aerobics is $5, etc. Every thing seems to be an extra fee. We joked that if we sneezed at the bar, we would probably get a bill for a dollar.

Friendly staff all round, great bar staff too, very helpful inside as well. You do not feel cramped at all, and the beach is yours, the pool is yours, there were not many people there, it was nice and quiet. Red Sail water sports next door, was great for diving and all water sports. Better water sports next door too, Red Sail lets you take the boat on your own, but the water sports guys at the Reef want to accompany you.

Kitchenettes were great, but only one grill on site. Most pools were just too shallow, with only one pool at 6 feet, the rest all at 4 feet. My kids spent all their time in the 6 foot one. Airport transfers were expensive, $20 p/p each way. I think next time, we would rent a car from the airport. We ended up renting a car.

Restaurants are expensive on the island, everyone has added 15% already. For 5 of us, at normal restaurants, over $200.00 a meal. We searched the local restaurants, fresh fish, local spices, $80.00 a meal no automatic 15% so we tipped well. Specifically look for a liquor store called Water Boyz up from the botanical garden, there is a restaurant behind it, Kurts I think it was called, very good!

At the Reef, I do not recommend the all inclusive. You still get a bill that you have to sign for everything, and they want a tip again! It is not all inclusive, it is like an attempt at all inclusive. Just do it on your own, it is easier.

Room Tip: Lower numbered room are nearer the pools, bar & restaurant. The higher you go, the longer the wa...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Reef Resort, A Wyndham Affiliate? Share your experiences!