“Fabulous Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Reef Resort

You added Wyndham Reef Resort to your Saves list
Wyndham Reef Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Queens Highway, PO Box 30865 | Colliers, East End KY1-1204, Grand Cayman (Formerly The Reef Resort, A Wyndham Affiliate)   |
Special Price
Summer Only In Cayman
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East End
Boston, Massachusetts
“Fabulous Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

The Reef was exactly what my boyfriend and I needed for a restful, relaxing vacation. Approx 40mins from airport, we had complementary transportation through delta. When we go back we might rent a car. Easy checkin, complimentary rum punch (yum!) and up to our room. We stayed in a one bedroom suite on the second floor. The rooms are comfortable and airy. Everything was very clean here, rooms, pool area, beach etc..We loved having a full kitchen. Grocery across the street had a little of everything and there is also a liquor store. Never a problem getting a beach chair and also plenty of palms for shade. hot tub was never busy. This is just a nice little quiet resort. Note: there isn't much going on in this neck of the woods so stay on 7 mile beach if your looking to party. Must eat at Tukka (free shuttle from the reef!!). Bring any shelf stable items you like as it is quite expensive to buy food and booze (also stop at duty free if you can on your way out). I brought coffee, granola, oatmeal etc....restaurants are also expensive.....plan to spend around $50us for lunch (2 meals and 2 alcoholic bev)... Also there is 15% gratuity added to every restaurant bill. We only ate at the bar at the reef and the food was good (chicken fingers, burgers, calamari, fish and chips, french fries (really good)....the beer is not the coldest. service at the bar was best during the daytime. We did the time share presentation (which was so pleasant talking with kevin) and got a free trip to stingray city, which was so worth the 1 hour! This was a great day trip, catamaran ride/snorkel/swim with the sting rays. we also rented jet ski's from the resort at $75us pp, it was a great deal! The wind increased daily, and we wished we would have jet skied earlier in the week when there wasn't as high surf, but it was still fine. keep this in mind. even though it was pretty windy, it was perfectly warm and the sand didn't blow. we didn't experience any problems with service, except late night at the bar(bartenders get chatty), the front desk was pleasant to deal with. im happy to answer any questions if you are thinking to head to the reef!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the one bedroom with full kitchen on the second floor, with balcony and great ocean views...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

we love the Reef Resort for its privacy but maybe not it's location. The beach itself is nice and sandy however to get into the water the broken up coral reef hurts barefeet. We are in our 60's so lots of ocean swimming wasn't our thing. it's an hour ride into Georgetown. A cab cost about $80 American. There is the town bus but it leaves the city at 3 and that's that last one. all rooms have an ocean view. Daina, Marina, Zuk,Tomoy Comesha and Colin are stellar among the many nice staff members. Rooms are very clean the beach is cleaned every morning before the sun comes up. If you want to relax and not be hurried this is the place. we went all inclusive which I would recommend. Food was fabulous but some said expensive. Drinks tend to lose ice fast. do visit Sting Ray City. swim with them. incredible.
Hope Marina got the AZ license we sent her.
Snorkeling great on the Reef.
Best to them. Susan

• Stayed January 2013
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

So glad to have found this place. Looked at 7MB area first, but it was booked. Happy we went to East End instead- very peaceful without the retail/commercial buzzing. And not far from shopping etc. in George Town, and all other attractions. Convenient grocery store across the street so we made our own breakfasts and lunches. Restaurant at resort, and a short drive away.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Waterford, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Our first trip to Grand Cayman with family of four with two daughters 16 & 13. After much research we chose the East End of the island as we prefer less tourism and more undeveloped area. With a rental car (Rubio at Hertz was VERY helpful) you are no more than an hour away from anything. The resort was very well kept and clean. We didn't visit the onsite restaurants for more than coffee. They have numerous activities posted that you can do during the day, but we were off exploring so can't rate. Wasn't impressed by the quality of drinks at the beach bar and overall service was okay. Highlights for us: beach pretty much to ourselves. Snorkeling right off the beach. Grocery store, liquor store and Italian Kitchen right across the street. Daily maid service with fresh bath towels and paper products. Our unit had a full kitchen which we put to use for breakfast and late night snacks. My wife and kids would stay on ground floor next time for instant beach access... I enjoyed the view from the 2nd floor. Also appreciated that we were NOT hounded about doing a tour for timeshares... Beach was cleaned up EVERY morning... Much effort and appreciated. Some cons: Internet is extra.... Okay, but please offer at check in... Had to call down then go back to the desk to sign up. Ps- add this to your room rate... Upscale resort then this nickel and dime charge is annoying. Beach towels... They are SERIOUS about keeping track of their beach towels. A bit of overkill in my opinion, but perhaps there's a reason. We would definitely return to the reef... The East End was PERFECT for us... See our other reviews! Also, we used the SpotCayman app and found it VERY useful during our stay.

Room Tip: Want instant beach access, ground floor. 2nd floor offers views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Grand Cayman
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I live on Grand Cayman and have just now remembered to write a review on this property and our stay. I was told by friends that they have great rates (they obviously got the $99 per night rate) and it would be a nice getaway for my parents when they came for the second time. I stayed with the 2 of them end of October/ beginning of November for 4 nights. We got the "Sweetheart special" which was supposed to include a bottle of champagne on arrival. When we got to the resort, we checked in fairly easily, then got told we were told to "go to the last building" and we would find our room.... No map or any further assistance to show us exactly where the room was, or what floor it was on, or anything. So I drove us there, we started going up, and lucky I quickly realized we had to drive to the farthest parking lot still and then go up 2 flights of stairs... come on this is standard hotel stuff here. Because there are different buldings and levels, they should for sure have a map showing you are HERE and you need to go HERE and PARK HERE and take this ELEVATOR. We had a lot of heavy bags and didnt need to find out after the fact that we had to walk farther with everything...obviously they dont follow regular hotel training or standards. When we got in the room, although fairly clean and tidy, it was very awkwardly laid out. And sure it has a nice view of the beach, but it is also right next to the highway which can be noisy. The staff seemed always too busy to answer questions and were just generally unfriendly. The only nice lady was the one trying to sell us stuff and go on their trips to Stingray City etc. The Morritts (neighbouring facility) swim up bar person was from India, late opening up in the morning which was annoying, and made horrible drinks. Starting the second day, we had no TV. When I called, we were told that they didnt know what was going on and it should be fixed "soon". Well it was nighttime and we unfortunately wanted to watch tv. I asked whether we could have complimtentary internet, (as it is not cheap here!) and was told that was not available. I was instantly angry. WTF? I told her to call someone higher than her, as utlimately that wasnt a "perk" at this point, it was for our sanity...instead of sitting there picking our noses or going to bed at 9pm. FInally after I begged, the manager called me and said we could have one complimentary day of internet. Well this continued for the remainder of our stay- and this was the weekend of Hurricane Sandy, so we wnated ot keep tabs on what was giong on-0 we were told that we could come and watch TV in the lobby....seriously? I asked whether we could enjoy a free movie rental and was also told that was not possible until I begged them and . When I went and looked at the movies, they were all from the 90's so that made me even more angry that they wanted to charge me for a low budget crap movie meanwhile I am paying $130-$140 a night and given no explanation for not having television for 3 days? Finally someone came clean and said that something had gone wrong, and they had been anticipating they needed a new part for it for a long time...but obviously instead of fixing something that needed fixing they took the cheap, procrastinator route and let it break, so we could all be inconvenienced. We tipped the waters/waitresses when we ate and we are not cheap people. Overall, very disappointed in the service and I will not recommend people to go stay there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Reef Jan 6 - 20 in a one bedroom suite in Building A. The suite was clean and well maintained. I really liked that it included a dishwasher and soap, so cleaning up after stay-in meals was a cinch.
Overall the resort seems to be well maintained. There is a 'Pit Crew' out early each morning raking up the seaweed and any other washed up debris off the beach. There is also a crew hosing down the walkways, watering the plants, and skimming leaves out of the pool.
When you first arrive at the Reef the roundabout by the front door is nicely landscaped and the lobby itself is big and airy with views of the ocean but the parking area for our building is really ugly - especially the storage shed at the end - it looks like one good wind could blow it down. This one ugly spot aside, the resort is very well maintained.
We found the pools quite chilly (the ocean was warmer) so we spent very little time in them. We didn't see many other guests using the pools either. We did find the hot tub always seemed to be in use.
The maid service came by daily to see if we needed anything. Sometimes we passed on service. When we took advantage of the service - we got a full service - bed made up, bathroom scrubbed, fresh towels, floor swept. I think the service was excellent.
We ate at the Bistro for breakfast once. The food was good and the staff quite accommodating. They stayed open a little longer so we could enjoy a late breakfast, rather than turn us away. The only down side is I can't remember the last time two plates of eggs and two cups of tea cost $43........
This resort is at the far east end of the island - I'll repeat what many other reviewers have said - it is really quiet at this resort and at this end of the island. Don't come expecting to party much. I strongly recommend attending the Barefoot Man performance on Thursday night. You have the option of dinner and the show or just the show. We attended the show twice, including dinner. The food was ok, a little over priced like everything else on the island. Drinks are expensive ($7 CI for a well drink or glass of wine). Tip: the show starts at seven - you can go the bar before 6pm and get two for one drinks (excluding frozen drinks). If you have any drinks left on your tab they can be transferred to the restaurant to enjoy with the show.
The Reef makes an effort to entertain its guests - you will get a daily message on your phone listing the days' activities (yoga, bus to town, fish feeding, craft table, etc) but there is not a lot going on in the evenings.
We were only asked twice in two weeks if we were interested in attending a presentation on ownership. We declined and never felt that the staff were being pushy about it.
There are laundry facilities on site at the Reef so you can pack fewer clothes. It costs $2 CI (Cayman Dollars) for a wash and the same to dry. You can get quarters from the front desk. We brought some Tide Pods and dryer sheets with us - both traveled well in a ziplock bag.
The beach area at the resort is nice but swimming is not. There are a couple of entry points but once in the water there are lots of rocks, coral, and seaweed. For most of our stay it was also quite windy so the water was too stirred up to make snorkeling enjoyable. The beach chairs are plentiful but could really use an overhaul. The canvas on most of them is so stretched in the bum area you might as well be sitting on the sand and some are hard to climb out of.
There is a small plaza across the road. It has a grocery store a liquor store, a store with swimsuits and tourist treasures, and a restaurant. We ate at the Italian Kitchen twice. The take out pizza was not good - it tasted like it had been cooked in a dirty oven and was a little burned. When we dined in the food was quite good (mussels, spaghetti, garlic bread knots). My two favorite meals during my stay - Conch Ceviche at Macabucu (near the turtle farm) and the fish sandwich at Paradise Cafe (next to Eden Rock dive shop).
We rented a car for our full stay, it make touring the island convenient and easy (although the maps provided could use more detail or could be updated) But, being on an island, I just ask myself - How lost can one get on an island?
Rum Point is about a fifteen minute drive along the north coast. Rum Point is a restaurant/bar and water sports area. Diving and stingray city tours are also available here. Food and drinks are also expensive here. The 'swimming area' is about two feet deep and is small. I wasn't dazzled by the experience.
If you plan to drive into George Town go next door to Morritts and visit the dive shop first. The dive shop keeps track of the number of cruise ships expected in port on any given day - the more cruise ships, the less you'll want to be in George Town. Traffic and parking can be really ugly when George Town is overrun with Cruise ship passengers. Everything in town is closed on Sundays (except the dive shops).
When driving into town it is quicker to drive towards Rum Point and then take Frank Sound Road than it is driving along the south coast.
Overall the Reef gets a thumbs up for a relaxation.

Room Tip: Building A is farthest from where the music is played and the bar. A one bedroom is the lowest cate...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Walla Walla, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My husband and I just returned from our stay at The Reef, our first trip to Cayman. We have pros and cons regarding this stay. Among the PROS - Clean and well-kept resort. Rooms very tidy and comfortable. Beautiful beach view from the rooms. CONS - service consistently poor. Attendants too busy looking busy while socializing with their coworkers or simply ignoring you. It took at least 20 minutes, during meals, to capture the attention of the waitress/server to ask any question whatsoever or even get a refill of your water glass. One or two waitress/servers consistently rude until they brought the bill, at which point they magically became pleasant. Bar tender(s) often busy socializing with coworkers or one or two specific patrons (young attractive females) and extremely inattentive to the needs of other patrons. We sat for 30 minutes waiting for service and finally decided to leave. We did not return to the bar for the remainder of our stay. Prices quoted and prices charged were inconsistent. Case in point - car rental quote from a concierge was 55 dollars per day, yet when speaking with the person from Thrity (the same person the concierge just spoke with) the price jumped to 200.00 for the same time frame. Another case in point - trip to Stingray City quoted as 75.00 per person plus 40.00 for transportation, which would equal 230.00 for both of us. We were told that this would be a free trip if we took an hour "tour" of the facility. We agreed and followed through with the "tour" (invitation to become a time-share member), yet saw that we were charged 150.00 for the Stingray trip at check-out. This had to be reversed before we signed out. We also felt that no one went the extra mile in giving helpful descriptions or directions. Case in point - on checking in after a long, tiring trip, no directions or assistance offered to get to our room even though it was quite a distance from the lobby. We finally asked someone to help us find the room and assist with a bag. Also, when talking to the concierge about a car rental, we were told to "go next door" to the Thrifty car rental. We had no idea where "next door" was. We got a simple wave of the hand in a non-specific direction. After walking quite a long distance and asking 3 people where to find Thrifty, we had to return and ask the concierge to actually take us to the Thrifty car rental location. It was a desk located INSIDE the facility of another resort. No signs. No indicators of any specific location. Just an aside, if you know you are going to rent a car, it would be wise to do so upon arrival at the airport where you would have a choice of vehicle. We had no choice and our car was not well suited to our needs. The food seemed expensive. In fact, we ended up buying food from the grocery store across the street often (that is a definite pro). The Italian restaurant across the street was on the spendy side but well worth the money. The service at the Italian restaurant was excellent and the food wonderful. Overall our trip to Cayman was good. We enjoyed Stingray City and snorkling as well as visiting the Botanical Gardens. The Reef is clean and attractive yet our bottom line is that the service made us feel like we were an inconvenience to the staff. We won't be back, yet we also hope that our situation was not common.

Room Tip: 2nd story gives a great view of the ocean. Ground floor has immediate beach access.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
JakeMorgan72, Head Concierge at Wyndham Reef Resort, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. I’m pleased to hear that you found our suites to be clean and well kept and enjoyed our beautiful beach. We are very proud to have the longest unspoiled beach of any resort on the island.

We do however listen with concern regards your experience at our beach bar. A duty manager is available at all times on site and would have taken care of this situation immediately. Should any guest experience anything on site that they are less than satisfied with we implore them to bring it to the attention of a Manager and it will be resolved. We rely heavily on guest feedback to ensure our standards remain high but we can only resolve them if we are made aware of issues whilst you are still on site.

Now regards your car rental as we are not involved with this company we cannot guarantee their rates. The cost they quoted our concierge on site probably didn’t include the various fees and insurances that car rental companies add on. All of our car rental companies have their main offices at the airport so you will always have a better choice of vehicles reserving in advance. I’m sorry the directions were not clear but I’m pleased to hear a concierge staff member escorted you there.

I’m also glad to hear that you enjoyed your free Stingray City trip, our fantastic snorkeling and the botanical park however I apologize that the credit had not been added to your account immediately. As you noted the situation was rectified as soon as you bought it to our attention.

We are always more than happy to assist guests with baggage and you should have been asked at check in if this was required. Once requested, as you noted assistance was available however it should have been offered and not requested and for this we apologize. We will take this opportunity to review this situation with our Front Desk team to ensure we get it right every time.

Thanks again for leaving the review and happy holidays for the future.

Been to Wyndham Reef Resort? Share your experiences!