“White Shark Diving Co. - AWESOME!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Riverside, California
36 attraction reviews
“White Shark Diving Co. - AWESOME!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

A group of us went with the White Shark Diving Co. last week and the entire experience was amazing. To begin with, I contacted several companies and they replied with the best price and "package." They picked a group of us up from our hotel in Cape Town and the driver they sent was great. There was a cooler of sodas and juice in the van and we stopped along the way to look at the ocean and also to pickup up cash and run to a pharmacy. When we arrived there was food all set out for us and hot coffee. About 15 minutes after arriving we received our safety briefing and went to the boat. Oh - I should note there is a souvenir shop next to the company so some of our people bought sweatshirts and stuff to keep warm on the boat. After a short ride to our site we began diving. Now, it is not really a dive and since I did the reading beforehand I knew that. Nobody is going in the water with scuba gear and they didn't even offer it. But once you are there you realize you do not really need it. The sharks are swimming by so you are not submerged for much more than 20 seconds and you can come up from the water at any time. Anyway, we saw TONS of sharks. It is slow in the beginning but then, man, they start coming. At one point we were watching one shark swim off the left side when another snuck around the right side of the cage and popped up! It was awesome and the crew was really cool. I didn't plan on purchasing the video afterwards but they did a great job on it so I did anyway. You go down in groups and we get plenty of time in the water. At the end those of us who wanted to go back in did again. When we returned there was hot soup waiting for us as well as drinks. There was also food on the boat. It was everything I was expecting and then some. If you are wanting to go shark diving I recommend White Shark Diving Co. 100%.

Visited September 2012

Oldham, United Kingdom
71 attraction reviews
“An experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Our daughter started off diving at The Two Oceans Aquarium with ragged tooth sharks as she is qualified as a scuba diver. The the big one diving with the great white, what an experience. We had a slow start but once we were in a gruop of great whites it was time for our duaghter to get up close and personal. We were based in CT but decided to spend two nights in De Kelders at the Roundhouse, cage diving with Apex and whale watching with Dyer Island Cruises. A brilliant couple of days.

Visited August 2012
Coffs Harbour, Australia
63 attraction reviews
“Flippen Awesome - A must do in Sth Africa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We organised our shark cage diving experience once we were in Sth Africa and only needed to give 3 days notice (much to my surprise). We went with sharkcagediving.net although there are many other providers out there. We chose this company for 2 main reasons, the first being because they seemed to have good principles on the diving with a good safety record and good boat, and secondly because they had a great special for anyone staying in a backpackers hostel - which we were. The special saved us upto 500 R, then we had to add on 350 R for the return transfers.
The experience itself was fantastic, heading out to Shark Alley was pretty rough and a few people on our boat experienced sea sickness.
The water was about 13 degrees but we were provided winter wet suits which when combined with a bit of adrenalin proove to be pretty warm.
We had good visability, about 6 meters.
We tried 2 locations to get the most sharks and at the end had 4 sharks swimming around us, 2 upto 3.5m long.
The cage we were in held 8 people at a time and at no point were we worried that the cage was unsafe, even after a shark bashed into the cage.
The sharks are amazing creatures and no matter how many documentaries you watch it will never beat seeing them up close and in the flesh.
It is simply a must do, even if you don't want to get in the water, watching from the boat could be just as awesome.

Visited August 2012
Melbourne, Australia
1,093 reviews 1,093 reviews
737 attraction reviews
“An amazing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Cape Town is one of a few places in the world where you can reliably see Great White Sharks. Seeing such a highly evolved predator so close was simply amazing. The tours run from a few short hours to several days on the boats. Prices are reasonable, with short tours staring from $1350 R or so (~$150 USD). I did a tour with White Shark Adventures and they were excellent.
Most importantly, the tour I went on was very safe. Staff really look after the customers and if you are feeling nervous, just tell them and they will take special care of you. And while it is call shark diving, no SCUBA certificate is required – you’ll either just duck under the water holding your breath or use a regulator hooked up to the boat. All very easy. I should mention that the sea is quite rough, so those prone to sea-sickness should remember their medications.
Much like seeing the big animals on safari, Cape Town offers a unique opportunity to see amazing predators, but you have to respect that nothing can be guaranteed. Some trips will not see any sharks (we had 9, so I guess I was lucky). The operators generally offer a free spot on another trip, so it would make sense to go cage diving early in your stay in Cape Town, so if you are unlucky you can reschedule later in the trip.
I loved cage diving with the Great White Sharks in Cape Town – a safe adventure and an excellent experience.

Visited July 2012
Calgary, Canada
32 attraction reviews
“Unbelievable Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

We booked our shark cage dive on the second day we were to be in Cape Town and the weather was supposed to be the best. Our transfer from the One & Only said he would be there at 7:00 am and arrive preciously at 6:55 so we were able to get a box of Reuben's breakfast to go and we were on our way. A few more people to pick-up in various locations around Cape Town and the the drive to Gansbaai which took approximately 2.5 hours and included a washroom stop and a very long line watching the taxi drivers abandon their taxis along the road before the Police check stop!

When we arrived at the main depot I was quite concerned to see so many people there, I was not expecting to see 20 other people joining us along with the 7 who were already in our van. Looking out into the docking area I was wondering how we were all going to fit on the boat, then I saw the Apex Predator, the boat is easily double the size of the other boats in the area. 26 people fit on no problem and we each had plenty of room to move around, the boat is limited I believe to 46 so it is a very sizeable boat, which made me being from a landlocked area feel very comfortable!

The girls at the reception area had us fill out some forms and we were allowed to sit down and have a very enjoyable continental breakfast. then you get your first change to meet Brian who is a most enjoyable, personable, funny and professional individual, my wife and I felt quite comfortable on a boat with him.

The trip out to Dyer Island takes about 15 minutes, I am no seaman by any standards but on this day the skies were completely clear and the sea was totally flat. Most of the people on the boat had a jacket or sweater on for the trip and then we were taking them off soon as we arrived at the spot. There were two other boats in the area and one that I had been researching for a tour was not there which I found interesting as to where they may have gone.

Suddenly we had the best seat in the boat as we were up to and at the back and captain Brian was sitting right beside us preparing to throw "Gladis" a black dummy overboard while the guys were setting up the chum line. My wife and I were settling in getting ready for what I assumed would be a 20 minute to an hour wait, no sooner had Gladis hit the water she was being pulled back by Brian and our first shark was sighted.... total wait time 4 minutes. I was shocked, and so happy if the entire tour had ended right then and there I would have been so happy, everything was going perfectly.

Brian was so nice to answer my question as we sat there happily snapping away at the sharks as they either tried to take the bait, tried to take Gladis or breeched fully out of the water. By this time three other groups had already been in the cages so it was our turn to go down and get suited up. I am a big guy at 6'2 and 275 lbs and was very worried about whether or not a wet suit would fit me, no problem the guy sized me up and said an XL would fit, sure enough it did and we were sliding down in tot he cage. A few deep breathes and our heads were under the water with a shark right in our face. Amazing, we loved every minute of it, the greatest part for me was having the one shark on our last viewing come so close with it's mouth open I could hear my wife scream underwater! When we rose up we were both laughing so hard as you remember how not an hour ago you were probably terrified heading out to see the sharks for the first time and now after your first dive feel quite comfortable and safe inside the cage with them.

We were out for approximately 3 hours and were obviously in the right spot from the beginning as the other tour company I had been researching had come back to our spot after about 45 minutes of what I have to assume was no activitiy at their original destination. Once everyone had enough time in the cage to view the sharks and a number of the other tours had left to go in Brian said he would throw Gladis overboard and try trolling for a shark to breech behind us. This was a very nice gesture, we didn't get one to breech, but Brian was the only boat that even made an attempt while we were there.

After reeling in the dummy it was off to Seal Island where again Brian trolled slowly up and down near the beach and we were allowed to view them and snap a number of pictures before heading off to home. Again, some of the other boats may have done this for their passengers, I did not see it however so it did seem like an additional added bonus for us that Captain Brian was willing to do.

All in all we saw 8 different sharks on our day, the weather was spot on perfect something which added greatly to my personal enjoyment of the day. Brian and his crew were so personable, friendly and most importunity professional. We felt safe at all times, always well taken care of whether getting suited up or having the suit taken off, refreshments were a nice touch and we enjoyed them during our troll and the sandwiches were very tasty.

I felt Brian gave exceptional value for the amount he charged us, a number of companies were either double or 2.5 times the price he charged. There was a lo cost DVD of the trip that was made available after a viewing of it while warming up with a coffee, tea or hot chocolate and there was no sales pressure to buy it. On the trip back our driver stopped four times, twice to see the whales breeching, once so we could have a great picture of Cape Town and once so we could use the washroom.

I thought the trip with www.sharkcagediving.net provided a wonderful experience that we will remember for ever and the things I saw that set Brian's charter apart from others when you are making your decision for me were as follows:

1) Cheaper than the alternatives
2) Boat was bigger than others I saw
3) His willingness to try trolling for a breech
4) taking us around seal island when I didn't see other tours doing it
5) Professionalism and Safety, there is a reason he has been in business so long

Go with this company and you will not regret it, everything that is under their control will be done very well, weather and seeing a shark that's more up to nature. Oh but Brian does offer a money back guarantee if you don't see a shark, just one more plus for this remarkable company!

Visited July 2012