“Far from a happy experience” 1 of 5 stars

You added Auberge du Lac to your Saves list
Auberge du Lac
5-7 rue du 28 Aout 1944, 10140 Mesnil-Saint-Pere, France   |
Lausanne, Vaud, Switzerland
“Far from a happy experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I stayed at the Auberge du Lac on the way across to the UK for my wedding and I can safely say that I have never been so insulted, offended and downright disappointed with a hotel that held so much promise on the surface.

I was, in fact, travelling across with my father and mother, both of whom had stayed at the same hotel before. They had said they received adequate service before, but the way we were treated on this occasion was nothing less than condescending and rude.

Whilst the rooms were simple, they were ok. The shower did not have a holder, meaning one had to either sit in the bath or wash with just one hand. Not ideal, but it is something I could look past.

However, where the Auberge du Lac really let themselves down was in the restaurant and through their snobbish service.

We booked a table upon arrival and sat out in the courtyard having a quiet drink, waiting to be called through. We wanted to see a menu beforehand so asked for one. Once we had decided what we wanted it was ordered there and then. This included lobster for my sister which was duly picked out and shown to her. From there we assumed that we would be summoned through to the restaurant when our table was ready.

Alas, this was not the case so we asked if we could be seated after getting rather hungry. We eventually went through and waited a further 35 minutes for our starters. Once this was delivered we had to wait a further half an hour for the main course. This was a true let down. Calling the food inadequate would be an insult to inadequacy. It was truly terrible. The lobster was particularly bad. Considering it cost 78 euros I’d expected better, however the chef would have been better off boiling his shoe and sending that out. I imagine it would have been easier to chew, probably had more flavour, and would also have been cheaper by the pound.

Naturally, we complained not only about the poor state of the food but also the shoddy and downright rude service from everyone in the restaurant, the fact that we had to wait an extortionate amount of time to be served and that once we had finished a course it had taken almost 20 minutes for our plates to be cleared. I could have overlooked this if it was a run-of-the-mill restaurant but for the prices they were charging I expected a lot better.

After complaining we were told by what I can only assume to be the “manager” that it was our own fault for having sat outside for too long. We were told that it was not their fault and that it wasn’t up to them to call us through, ignoring the poor service, poor food and general mismanagement of what they classed as luxury dining, as well as the fact that they had, indeed, called other customers through before us. Luckily I don’t know the French for pompous, arrogant imbecile but that is the precise tone she came across with. Needless to say we cancelled our dessert and left to find somewhere else to see out the night (on a related note, the brasserie across the road from this hotel is very good, with the locals proving to be most welcoming).

Although it may seem it by the above, I am not one to dish out complaints in this manner often. I have stayed in many mediocre and inadequate hotels but have never felt they have been so bad to warrant my time to write a complaint. However, the general tone and the way in which my family and I were treated I felt something had to be said. I have never felt so sub-standard in all my life. I felt looked down upon, like we weren’t worth the time because we didn’t deserve to be there and that we were generally being a nuisance. It is very easy to compare hotels to Fawlty Towers, and in the past having read reviews on Trip Advisor I’ve thought it was a little lazy. However, that is the only experience I can possible compare it to.

I have had better food at a Wetherspoons, I have had better service at fast food chains and I have met more welcoming people in some of the darker corners of London.

On the hotel’s official website it says that “they claim to have learned much from the exchange of experiences with their efficient and talented personnel.” Hopefully they will learn much from my families experience and make sure they do not treat returning guests in the same manner in future.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We have stayed here before and this time had the more expensive room which was very spacious. Ground floor with view over the garden. Not a particularly cheap place to stay but the food is very good. We found the staff to be very helpful helping us to understand the french menu despite our lack of much french language. Breakfast was lovely and is now served in a seperate breakfast room. For us mid-day back to Calais from Lake Annecy this was a lovely relaxing place to stop with very good food and an excellent nights sleep.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Wokingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

The Auberge is not close to the lake but is a charming place to stay on the way from UK to places in SE France. We have used it on several occasions and it ever disappoints. Rooms are good value and the food always excellent. The Madame is a lovely lady who always makes you feel welcomed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Arundel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

On arrival, we went for a very pleasant walk to the lake and round the pretty village. I imagine the area is very busy in the season, but in early October it was beautifully quiet. Our room was small, but clean and comfortable. Dinner was a delicious meal, although the service was fussy and over formal for this type of establishment. Unfortunately the serving staff, whilst polite, do not really have a clue , and need training. The meal was expensive, and the wine extremely so.
There is a real problem with this auberge, and that is that it has taken some beautiful old buildings and made them bland and lacking in any atmosphere whatsoever. On the night we stayed, there were only a few people for dinner. We were all placed in corners, sprinkled through the three interconnectng rooms amongst a mass of empty tables. This and the fact that staff do not talk to you except to take your order made for a place totally lacking in ambience. Not at all what you expect of a french auberge!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Shoreham-by-Sea, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

We only stayed one night at this hotel on our way to Italy. Despite high expectations we were disappointed. Our room was small and charmless and we had not realised that the hotel would be such a long way from the lake (reservoir) so that none of the rooms, nor the grounds of the hotel, would offer any view of it. We felt that this made the name of the hotel a bit misleading. The food in the restaurant was fine but not outstanding and definitely overpriced. We stayed at some other great places on our trip, but I'm afraid this one won't be on the list for a return visit.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

I picked this out using Tripadvisor because of its location halfway back from Annecy to Calais. I wanted a nice comfortable room and good food. I was not disappointed with the excellent food at both evening meal and breakfast. The service is formal in keeping with the Chef's Michelin background. However the food lived up to that and was excellent including amuse bouche of fresh pea puree as well as the excellent extra deserts which made for a most enjoyable last evening for us in France. I had the foie gras with quail pate which was very flavourful. I then had duck breast which was lovely with a beautiful sauce and then a chocolate desert which again was excellent with good strong but not overpowering flavours.

We had booked the inclusive room, breakfast and evening meal at 182 euros and had a lovely set meal with a nice bottle of Morgon, bottled water, grappa and coffee making a total of 230 euros. We were given the Mimosa room, heard no noise from other guests/rooms and enjoyed a good nights sleep in the comfortable double bed. The shower was very good with lots of hot water.

In retrospect we should have ordered coffee or tea when we arrived instead we walked to the nearby lake and only just missed a threatening rain shower.

Breakfast was formal (no buffet/help yourself here) with the suggestions given, as with dinner the night before, in French by the charming waitress which was not a great problem even though she did not speak English. Most of us understand fromage, yogurt, orange etc so the choices offered were understood and we had a lovely breakfast including the best jam I think I have ever had on beautifully fresh french bread.

We would certainly return if we were travelling by car again and needed to break the journey.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

We enjoyed our brief stay at this reasonably priced Logis. It is handily placed in a quiet village, but within easy reach of the motorways and Troyes. The lake is not in sight, but only a 10-15 minute stroll through the pretty village. The room was small but comfortable. We enjoyed an excellent dinner in the restaurant, and a good breakfast the next morning. The service is correct rather than warm, but all in all we would have been happy to stay longer, and would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Auberge du Lac? Share your experiences!