“Best vacation ever!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Masatepe
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
“Best vacation ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We enjoyed the resort, the view was spectacular and the food was delicious.
The staff are very hospitable and the resort is very clean and well take care off.
While we were at the resort; the main theme is relaxing and enjoying the beautiful view of the volcano. If you require a little bit more excitement, we recommend taking in the tours.
The resort is small, expect to get to know the other people staying at the resort and enjoying their company.
It is beneficial to your happiness to pay for the shuttle service from the airport to the resort.
Overall; we had a fantastic time and wouldn't hesitate to go back!
Great people and great staff!!!!!

Room Tip: Get a casita.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Waterville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

From the moment my husband and I arrived we were treated like family. For 6 nights Luis, Lionel and all the other staff members provided us with friendly service, wonderful food, amazing tours and total relaxation. The view was so beautiful it brought tears to my eyes, as I was in awe of my surroundings. Luis clearly has a love of Nicaragua and is excited each time he is able to share with his guests all the wonderful experiences the country has to offer. If you are looking for a destination to unplug for a while, that allows you peace and serenity, while offering a little adventure as well, this hacienda is a can't miss!

Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Hacienda Puerta Del Cielo is clearly is a labor of love. Every detail is artful, tasteful, and represents the beauty of Nicaragua. The views are breathtaking. The ambience is calm, serene, and restful. Our casita was charming, comfortable, and private. Every care was taken to make sure that our stay was perfect.

We were pampered from the moment we were whisked away from the Managua Airport by our host, Luis. Taking advantage of the transportation provided by the resort assured hassle free arrivals and departures to the airport, and to the tours we chose. My daughter, a world traveler, assures me that she would have been comfortable in a rental car. Apparently, GPS sophistication provides perfect directions over unmarked, unpaved roads. I, however, enjoyed being taken care of by Luis and Lionel, whose expertise and love of their native area provided us with an up close and personal experience.

Each day we chose an activity. I felt the two formal tours we took were well worth the money. We hiked to the Cloud Forest on our own, but Luis arranged transportation for us. We arrived "home" by 3:30 each day, so we had time to relax and enjoy the serenity of the resort. The food was delicious; we were assured a superb, authentic culinary experience. The food was excellent, the presentation beautiful, the pacing was relaxed, and the service was impeccable.

For us, this trip was a celebration of my return to good health after a (successful!) six month bout with chemo. The Hacienda would be perfect for honeymooners, retirees, groups of friends, or ANY kind of retreat. Lucky us! I couldn't have asked for a more delightful experience.

Room Tip: We were in "Gaby" and loved it. I didn't see the other casitas, but they are built to...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Waterville, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My wife and I had an amazing 6-night stay at the hacienda to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We arrived after dark the first night and, despite the late hour, we were greeted at the front by the entire smiling and eager-to-please staff. After flying all day, we were ready to just relax and enjoy a drink at the bar. We felt immediately welcomed by Luis, JC, Lionel and even the other couples staying at the resort -- who waited at the bar to meet us when they heard we were about to arrive. The vibe was easy, friendly and familial -- more like a B&B than any anonymous resort hotel we've ever visited.

When we awoke the next morning we were absolutely awestruck by the beautiful view. We had seen the pictures on the website before the trip and were expecting a nice view, but experiencing it with all five senses at breakfast on the veranda that first morning was just literally breathtaking. We spent hours just gazing at the volcano, the national park, the lagoon, everything.

We took several side trips over the course of 3 days of our stay: visiting Grenada, hiking through the cloud forest around the crater of the Mombacho Volcano, touring a local pottery studio, boating on Lake Nicaragua, shopping at the marketplace in Masaya...but our favorite excursion was zip-lining over the coffee fields of Mombacho. Before we arrived, I was a little concerned about the safety of zip-lining in Nicaragua, but my fears were unfounded. It was a very safe and modern double-cable system, and we had a blast with our guides who, in addition to leading us through the cables, shared interesting facts about the local flora and fauna and acted as both comic relief and photographic documentarians of our daring adventures. One of the three guides took our camera at the beginning and snapped over 30 pictures/videos of us as we zipped along.

The other 3 days of our stay were filled with many, many hours just relaxing in and around the pool at the hacienda, with the staff eager to bring us a cocktail or leave us to our relaxing all day long. This is definitely the place to just unplug, de-stress, and soak in the heavenly surroundings.

Another quick note...We debated whether we should rent a car or just use the hacienda's transportation. We are SO glad we decided not to rent. The roads are full of people, animals, bikes, and other hazards. Plus, I'm positive we would never have found the hacienda on our own - with or without a GPS.

Also, a quick shout-out to the other three couples (two couples from California, and one couple from Toronto) with whom we shared parts of our stay. Thanks for making our stay even more fun! We had such a blast meeting and spending time with all of you!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Lionel, Luis, and JC are amazing hosts and really transformed our vacation from nice to awesome. Staying at the Hacienda isn't like going to an anonymous resort for a few days - it wouldn't be what it is without the management and staff there.

The view from the Hacienda is awesome and its name is fitting. I drank countless mojitos and cups of coffee while sitting in a hammock for hours enjoying the view.

The highlights of my trip was a trip to Granada with Lionel who was a perfect guide to me and my newlywed wife. It was a pleasure getting enjoy a slice of life in Nicaragua on our day in Granada. My next trip there will be with as many friends as I can convince to come.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband and I came here for our honeymoon. After a hectic month of wedding planning and hosting family and friends, this was the perfect escape to celebrate our marriage. We spent 4 days here rotating between sunbathing, swimming, hammock lounging, eating (omg - the food is amazing and included in the room price) and drinking (Oscar makes a mean Mojito and JC's signature drink - the Volcano - will instantly relax you). We spent one half day doing a tour of Granada, which my husband really wanted to do. City tours aren't really my thing, but I am SO GLAD we did this tour. The best part of it, in my opinion, was that we were hosted on the tour by Lionel. He is just awesome. Made us feel very well taken care of, and was generally just a terrific host. He told us lots of interesting information about the city of Granada and about Nicaragua in general. You can tell he loves his job, because he was so focused on creating a great experience for us. We really enjoyed the tour and getting to know him - completely worth $200 for the half day.

We were fortunate enough to have a few other couples staying at the resort at the same time and enjoyed socializing with them in the evenings. The way the staff sets up the meals, every couple got their own table, but we ended up dining with the other guests at the big table every night because it is such a convivial environment. I think this is largely due to the social and hospitable nature of the owners - brothers JC and Luis. Even if we had been the only guests at the Hacienda, we would've felt right at home because they really make you feel like family. We had an amazing time and highly recommend it. We are hoping to come back soon with a group of friends - it is really the perfect spot for a fun and relaxing retreat.

A few things to know before you go:
- This place is remote. Arrange transportation through the hotel and save yourself a lot of trouble. We drive a 4x4 at home and wouldn't have ventured this on our own.
- It gets bright early, so a sleeping mask is a nice thing to have if you prefer to sleep late. We love waking up early and the staff is ready to take care of you at almost any hour (Ariel is especially bright eyed at all hours and a great host - he has a great career ahead of him).
- It is humid. Plan accordingly with your packing as your swimsuit won't necessarily dry overnight.
- Pack sunscreen and bug spray.
- If you like to "go go go" this isn't the trip for you. There are some great tours through the hotel, but the real draw is just how relaxed and taken care of you will feel after a week of lounging.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

My husband and I just returned from an incredibly relaxing 6 day stay at the Hacienda.

All of the fantastic TripAdvisor reviews ring true.

From the moment we were picked up from the airport, to the time we were dropped off at the airport, we were treated like royalty.

The staff is wonderful and extremely accommodating. They strive to make the hacienda a "home away from home" and they succeed.

The food is wonderful -- the chef will customize the meal to your preferences. In fact, when the owner found out that I like asiago cheese bread, he made a special trip into town just to purchase a loaf of bread for me.

We took two day trips to Granada and the Volcano. Both trips were wonderfully curated, personalized and well worth the price.

We highly recommend staying in one of the beautiful casas!

This was one of our best vacations. Thank you JC, Luis, Lionel, Clara and all the other wonderful staff for a fantastic week!!

Room Tip: Casa Linda, Gabby and Bella are fantastic options!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hacienda Puerta Del Cielo Eco Spa? Share your experiences!