My wife and I had an amazing 6-night stay at the hacienda to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We arrived after dark the first night and, despite the late hour, we were greeted at the front by the entire smiling and eager-to-please staff. After flying all day, we were ready to just relax and enjoy a drink at the bar. We felt immediately welcomed by Luis, JC, Lionel and even the other couples staying at the resort -- who waited at the bar to meet us when they heard we were about to arrive. The vibe was easy, friendly and familial -- more like a B&B than any anonymous resort hotel we've ever visited.
When we awoke the next morning we were absolutely awestruck by the beautiful view. We had seen the pictures on the website before the trip and were expecting a nice view, but experiencing it with all five senses at breakfast on the veranda that first morning was just literally breathtaking. We spent hours just gazing at the volcano, the national park, the lagoon, everything.
We took several side trips over the course of 3 days of our stay: visiting Grenada, hiking through the cloud forest around the crater of the Mombacho Volcano, touring a local pottery studio, boating on Lake Nicaragua, shopping at the marketplace in Masaya...but our favorite excursion was zip-lining over the coffee fields of Mombacho. Before we arrived, I was a little concerned about the safety of zip-lining in Nicaragua, but my fears were unfounded. It was a very safe and modern double-cable system, and we had a blast with our guides who, in addition to leading us through the cables, shared interesting facts about the local flora and fauna and acted as both comic relief and photographic documentarians of our daring adventures. One of the three guides took our camera at the beginning and snapped over 30 pictures/videos of us as we zipped along.
The other 3 days of our stay were filled with many, many hours just relaxing in and around the pool at the hacienda, with the staff eager to bring us a cocktail or leave us to our relaxing all day long. This is definitely the place to just unplug, de-stress, and soak in the heavenly surroundings.
Another quick note...We debated whether we should rent a car or just use the hacienda's transportation. We are SO glad we decided not to rent. The roads are full of people, animals, bikes, and other hazards. Plus, I'm positive we would never have found the hacienda on our own - with or without a GPS.
Also, a quick shout-out to the other three couples (two couples from California, and one couple from Toronto) with whom we shared parts of our stay. Thanks for making our stay even more fun! We had such a blast meeting and spending time with all of you!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover a green mountainside paradise in beautiful, sun-kissed Nicaragua. "Hacienda Puerta del Cielo Ecolodge & Spa" borders a protected national rainforest, teeming with colorful flora and fauna. Imagine yourself relaxing in a tropical pool overlooking a peaceful lagoon or meditating in a breezy hammock on your own private veranda. Explore the natural environment or adventure hike through the 60 acre grounds of our exclusive -adults only- boutique hotel and enjoy Ecotourism in luxury! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your Hacienda Puerta Del Cielo Eco Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hacienda Puerta Del Cielo Eco Hotel Masatepe
- Hacienda Puerta Del Cielo Eco Spa Nicaragua/Masatepe