“Not as good as I expected” 3 of 5 stars

+33 (0) 4 7242 9090
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
Paul Bocuse, Auberge du Pont de Collonges is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Wigan
“Not as good as I expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I visited Paul Bocuse with a friend for Saturday Lunch over Easter. We decided to opt for the "Grande Tradition Classique" Menu as it was our first time (240 euro per head). I am not going to review every single dish, however the scallop of foie gras was superb, everything else was OK (Alright, the cheese board was excellent). I had been expecting a typical, old school, classic French experience - rich heavy food - and it ticked all the boxes. This meal was not my cup of tea, however i can appreciate the style of cooking.

My friend and I visited Paul Bocuse to see what all the fuss was about, in all honesty i would not go back.

If you are visiting for the name "Paul Bocuse" then prepared to part with the best part of 250 euros and be slightly disappointed with the food.

If you are visiting for the food and enjoy rich food then great, however if you are visiting for the food alone, the there are much better restaurants at a fraction of the price, even michelin starred restaurants (the following day we visited Le Montrachet in Burgundy, it knocked spots off Mr Bocuse and at a fraction of the price...... and we enjoyed superb high quality wines)

My conclusion, overpriced and overhyped - for most of us who work hard to visit these places, take your cash somewhere where your money will go further. There are hundreds of fantastic restaurants in Lyon.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
Morges, Switzerland
“If you're looking for nouvelle cuisine or if you're vegetarian this is not the place for you”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This restaurant will not offer you anything new. But it is sublime cuisine, if you can stomach traditional Lyonnais food (cream, butter and more cream and butter). Though not a big fan myself, I can get into it a couple times a year and this was one of those occasions. I have to admit though that the black man in the old fashioned suit at then entrance, the valet, bothered me. With all due respects M. Bocuse, this is 2013 , and this type of cliché is hardly acceptable nowadays. This faux pas put aside, once the car was taken care of, we were greeted with smiles and eye-to-eye contact by a as-friendly-as-you can-get-in-a-3*-restaurant maitre d'. The service was excellent from the moment we arrived until we left. Now the food. Yep delicious, though not inventive. The fish 'en croûte' was the best I ever ate. Everything from entrees to dessert was divine. This is so not a place for vegetarians, but of course this should come as no surprise, since Lyonnais food is simply not for vegetarians, and you will find hardly any veggies in your plates. I am a vegetarian who eats fish occasionally and I was not disappointed at Bocuse. The cheese plate was a feast by itself. The desserts, again very traditional, were very good too. The coffee disappointing for a 3*. Overall an excellent experience. I would recommend it insisting on what you should expect.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Zurich, Switzerland
“great menu, but inpersonal atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We had the Menu Bourgeois. Every dish was a high-end re-interpretation of traditional dishes. Everything was cooked to perfection and had an amazing taste. However, given the generous quantities, by the time we reached cheeses and desserts we were totally overwhelmed and didn't enjoy the feeling of it.
Something else we did not enjoy was the scale and pace of the restaurant. They are extremely efficient in having many customers and keeping the service quick. However, we felt in a kind of factory-scale business, in which customers are "processed" without emotions.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brazil
“Unforgettable! It worths each penny!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We went in 2011 or 2010, I don't remember exactly, but it was end of October.
I know, there are many french that complain about the restaurant, that don't prepare special dishes.
But, I have to say that this is not a contemporany restaurant, it is a tradicional french restaurant!
We had a warm welcome, all the dishes were excellent and the best of all...we took pictures with the best Chef in the world (Mr. Bocuse).
Excellent food and service!
Don't forget to make the reservation. I did it 2 months earlier to avoid surprises. You can see the menu in their website.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lyon, France
“vegetarians - people from mars...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I was invited to a dinner in the restaurant Abbaye de Collonges, pre-ordered a vegetarian menu and was very exited about this special dinner event.
At the beginning everything went well. Among the hors-d'oeuvres (with the Champaign) there was also one vegetarian choice. Then, at table things got complicated. They finally found a vegetarian soup but after everybody else had finished their's. The main course I send back. The only thing the "Bocuse" chef was able to propose me were steamed vegetables! A carrot, two potatoes and some haricots. No imagination and zero will to prepare any cooked vegetarian plate. We left the place hungry and frustrated. I surely will never come back to a Bocuse restaurant nor will I encourage any friends to do so.
I hope this negative feedback will help improving customer service above the level of any decent western canteen.

• Visited March 2013