“A DREAM TRIP FOR THIS WANDERER” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Baja AirVentures Las Animas Wilderness Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bahia de Los Angeles
Baja AirVentures Las Animas Wilderness Lodge
You added Baja AirVentures Las Animas Wilderness Lodge to your Saves list
100 Highway #1, Bahia de Los Angeles 20000, Mexico   |
Silver Spring, Maryland
“A DREAM TRIP FOR THIS WANDERER”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

First, there was the airplane trip from San Diego to the Baja airport. Fantastic. Then we boat over to Las Animas and find our Yert. I was traveling with my brothers, so I had my own. Sweet solitude! the sound of the gulf gently lapping on the beach. Our hosts cooked excellent food for us, took us kayaking to play with seals, to find hiking places that look untouched by humans, and harbor all sorts of flora and fauna. Then we had our boat trip to where the whale sharks feed. OMG, you cannot imagine how massive this gentle giant is (the largest fish in the world). Snorkling next to the shark, a very special treat for me. Enjoying the other visitors, food and drink, beautiful skies and weather. I picked this trip for my brothers and me, and I was so fresh and relaxed. Highly recommend for the person who loves nature and relaxation. You can have your Cabo San Lucas: send me back to Las Animas.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We travelled back to Las Animas in November with friends. It was my 4th trip in the last 6 years.
Kevin and the rest of his crew continue to offer a one of a kind experience. Always great weather
clear warm water and unspoiled beauty. Las Animas is an experience that few people will experience but if given the opportunity I highly recommend going. Our last trip included swimming with the whale sharks as well as the seals. Food was great and I cant imagine a better place to spend time with family and good friends.
DB

Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

5 stars experience...If you are that kind of special people that likes1) mother nature..2) solicitude..3) appreciates quite and been submerged in nature..away for the crowds..4) like eating local good Mexican food ..5) wants to kayaking, swimming,snorkeling, seeing dolphins,whales, pelicans,all kind of birds.., fishing,paddle, hiking to the desert just behind your magnificent yurts..and learning for the magnificent guide,( Andy is passionate with everything over there and he will share with you all his knowledge) and much more..THIS IS THE PLACE FOR YOU.
The yurts are huge and beautiful...the best and more comfortable bed in our visit to Baja...you can see from your bed the starts at night from the top skylight .
You have the Sea of Cortez just few steps from your Yurt or the desert behind it..
You can go with the excursion flying from San Diego or you can drive your own car to Baja California to Bahia de los Angeles and meet with the group...driving is an adventure itself..a good experience...passing the Cataviña Desert on your way in and beautiful scenery.
Don't miss the opportunity to visit this place.....IF you are that special person you won't regret it

Room Tip: Go on October....and enjoy your trip..
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
adventureguy2, Public Relations Manager at Baja AirVentures Las Animas Wilderness Lodge, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thanks Monica for your great fun list of things to do, experience and see - which is hard to do when you are at Las Animas Wilderness Eco-Lodge.

SO glad you were able to join a group that had flown in. What is so cool about our trips and lodge is it attracts really special like you mentioned. So many guest meet kindred spirits who are also well traveled and seek unique nature vacations like you.

Thanks for your advocacy, sharing photos here and in our Facebook page and visiting again. You are entitled to special alumni pricing and referral "thank you" discounts too.

All the best, the entire Baja AirVentures team :-)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This was my first venture into Mexico and although a little apprehensive at first because of all the things you hear in the media about "Mexico" I am so happy I went! The only sad part is the bar is set extremely high for my next visit! From the plane ride down, to the taxi and ponga that shuttled us to the lodge; I was extremely impressed with the logistics. Upon arriving at the secluded bay with the yurts just feet from the water; the atmosphere was so peaceful. I had no trouble sleeping in the plush queen bed with the sound of the waves lapping! Also I can't say enough about the pleasant, accommodating staff that made you feel comfortable and welcomed; and it may have been the best Mexican food I've ever experienced. Lastly, the atmosphere was so calming it made me just want to lounge around; but there were many activities to partake in...I SUPed or tried too, snorkeled, went sailing, hung out with sea lions, watched others catch shellfish, and swam alongside a 20 ft whale shark...absolutely life changing! Thank you Las Animas for such a wonderful experience!

• Stayed November 2014
Thanks Gigi for your heart-felt comments about your Baja Whale shark snorkeling trip at our Baja Las Animas Wilderness Eco-Lodge. So well expressed

Kevin and I feel that the business we are really in is the "life enhancement" business.

So glad you also shared that you were a bit concerned about Mexico travel, but that you can see the reality of travel to Baja Mexico with us is pleasant, easy and relaxing. Safety and customer service is our #1 priority. The AMAZING Natural surrounding of the Sea of Cortez near our ecolodge takes care of all the rest. :-)

As an alumni really really appreciate your advocacy for our type of eco-adventure travel, sharing photos and joining our Baja Airventures community in facebook too. Plus as an appreciated Alumni, you always will get repeat guest and referral thank you discounts for life.

Thanks again for joining us. Now you should check out our other "bucket List" experience: our "Best of Baja's WHales, Dolphins and Sea Lions trip February & March. Petting a friendly whale will meet and maybe exceed your new " Bar" of life enhancing vacations :-)
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2014

This place has a really epic and magical feel to it...
Think remote, relax, check off bucket list items, and never want to leave!
The staff were spot on and the food was delicious. I hope to make this a once every 6 months event.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
adventureguy2, Guest Relations Manager at Baja AirVentures Las Animas Wilderness Lodge, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thanks for the heart-felt comments.

Although we get you deep into Baja adventure and pristine nature fast with our own aircraft right from San Diego, we've hear your comment of not enough time - many times.

Yes Las Animas Wilderness Ecolodge and the region is truly amazing. E understand why you want to come back twice a year. That's why we have a generous alumni return program and referral thank you gift program. Heck you could even go for free if you bring a small group with you next time. Call Kevin for details.

See you in Baja soon!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2014

What a great adventure...Kevins entire staff, from the pilot to the maids to our ponga captain were all gracious and helpful. This made our Baja getaway that much more enjoyable...I highly recommend these guys...just awesome.

• Stayed November 2014
adventureguy2, Manager at Baja AirVentures Las Animas Wilderness Lodge, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thanks Vince for your recent visit with friends.

We all strive to make your experience fun and create a lifetime of fond memories. Plus Mother nature here in the Magical Midriff Island region of the Sea of Cortez, does a great job too.

Be sure to post some photos here and visit our Baja adventure travel Facebook community too.
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2014

My husband and I just returned from an absolutely magical trip to the Las Animas Wilderness Lodge and are still basking in the glow of this magnificent experience.

Ours was the first group to visit Bahia de los Angeles after Hurricane Odile swept over the region on September 14, 2014. While the damage from the storm is evident in some sections of the town, the airstrip is in excellent condition. Luckily, the lodge at Las Animas suffered no damage from the hurricane and is fully operational in every aspect.

Why did we choose this trip? A recent visit to the Galapagos Islands in March of this year whetted our appetites for more such soft travel adventures. We had heard from friends that the Midriff Islands in Baja California’s Gulf of California is known as “The Galapagos of North America” so we were intrigued. A quick internet search brought us to the Baja AirVentures web site, where (after reading all the glowing reports on Tripadvisor) we booked the “Whale Shark” tour.

Never a friend of flying, even on huge commercial jets, I did have second thoughts about soaring over Baja California in a Piper plane. It didn’t take long, however, before the glorious beauty of the landscape unfolding below—and knowing we were in our seasoned pilot Fred’s capable hands--overwhelmed me and all fears were gone! My husband and I both enjoyed the unique photo opportunities we captured while cruising over the mountains, islands and bays of Baja. To be sure, half the fun was getting there….and in just a few hours with no hassle. No wonder this is the preferred transportation mode for the rich and famous!

A scenic boat ride from town brought us to Las Animas Wilderness Lodge, where our expectations were again exceeded. As we pulled into the placid harbor and docked on the expansive, white sandy beach, we felt as if we were part of a “world’s most beautiful beaches” travel magazine spread. Our yurt (#3) was impeccably clean and spacious. Our king bed was extremely comfortable, and there was even a twin bed and loft in the unit, making it ideal for travelers with children.

As other reviewers have mentioned, one does have to be frugal with water, but we quickly got used to the bathing process. I am not the traditional camping type, loving my creature comforts, but I was completely content with the very comfortable accommodations we found at Las Animas. The meals were lovingly-prepared and tasty, and as the other reviewers reported, we often enjoyed fresh fish caught that day as well as ceviche and other Mexican specialties.

The staff was exceptional in all aspects, genuinely eager to please us and cater to our every need. Our pilot guides Fred and Andy, in addition to being expert aviators, astounded us with the scope of their vast knowledge of the history, wildlife and fauna of the region. Their guidance did much to enhance our appreciation of this magnificent place, and their genuine love of Las Animas shone through in all their communications with our group.

And YES, it is the Galapagos of North America! Topographically, the regions are very similar, although we enjoyed a rare occurrence: the greening of the otherwise arid desert landscape because of the heavy rains of September. As in the Galapagos, we viewed blue-footed booby birds, magnificent frigates, countless sea lions, Sally-Lightfoot crabs, manta rays, sea turtles, dolphins and many other similar species both regions share. And while there aren’t giant tortoises roaming the countryside as in the Galapagos, the gentle, magnificent whale sharks more than make up for this omission.

Speaking of whale sharks, the highlight of this voyage was to experience the proximity of these rare and elusive creatures. At one point, we counted 24 gentle giants swimming around us. Unbelievable! I must mention that even though you may not feel inclined or capable of jumping in the water to swim with the whale sharks, you will be able to admire them just as easily from the boat, as I hope my attached photos show.

I also must add that we were a group of 8 travelers from around the country (of various ages and walks of life) who started out as strangers and departed as friends, bonded by memories of a magical travel experience.

On our final evening, several of us walked along the shore and watched the sparkles under our feet and the glowing fish in the waves, the bio-luminescence phenomenon of the ocean that I have read about but never experienced. And oh, the heavenly sky in this wilderness defies description. I’ll never forget the site of that jet black globe peppered with glowing stars and constellations, including a magnificent Milky Way the likes of which I’ve never seen and will never forget.

We may be physically back home in San Diego, but our hearts are still on the shores of Las Animas Wilderness Lodge. It was the trip of a lifetime.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
adventureguy2, Guest Relations Manager at Baja AirVentures Las Animas Wilderness Lodge, responded to this review, October 25, 2014
Dear Viva Lamore;

Thank you so much for your awesome photos and great description on your journey to the "Magical Midriff Islands of the Sea of Cortez, known as “The Galapagos of North America” .

Especially since you have been to the The Galapagos Island you, and like so many others who have also been to the known The Galapagos, have commented just how abundant, diverse and pristine this special destination truly is.

As a world traveler, your comments and insights really mean a lot to us and will help many others considering traveling with us too. Thanks for your sharing you heart with us.

Been to Baja AirVentures Las Animas Wilderness Lodge? Share your experiences!