“A Lovely Place To Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Adderbury
UK
“A Lovely Place To Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

The Red Lion is a lovely hotel in a very pretty village. The room was spotless and even though it was small it was very comfortable. We ate in the charming restaurant and the service was excellent and the staff were efficient and very friendly. The food was very good value for money. We will definitely return.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Oldham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

I stayed here whilst travelling down to London to meet my wife. Great room, clean, quiet and warm. I requested a quiet room due to my poor sleep pattern and the proprieters obliged. I ate here for my evening meal and couldn't fault the beef and ale pie with all the trimmings, so top marks for that.
There is a car park attached to the hotel at the rear of the property which I didn't know was there until my arrival so that was a pleasant surprise as I was assuming I had to park out the front in the limited spaces available.
I am about to book here again so my wife and I can explore what the area has to offer.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Rayleigh, Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

Stayed 2 nights at the Red Lion Sunday to Tuesday. Room 8 is small as expected in a building of this age but absolutely charming. We loved the mezzamine bathroom. Slept very soundly. Food in the resturant was superb and the two for one very good value for money. The breakfast made a great start to the day. My husband had fruit, a pastry and a cooked breakfast of scrambled egg and salmon plus toast. The staff were some of the best we have come across - could not have been more polite and helpful. Had a love circular walk around Adderbury. Spent a day at Blenheim. Whole weekend was a great success.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Zlin, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

We stayed there during our business trip in England. Very friendly staff, great food and bear, charming, clean rooms. You feel there like in old good England :), can recommend to everyone!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
tonbridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

What a lovely welcome we had, very friendly and personal (unlike the cloned robots of other chains).

Firstly - this is a coaching inn - so in days of olde you would arrive by Horse and carriage drink and sleep. And they have retails alot of these aspects. So it is not a hotel in modern day terms - and we say THANK GOODNESS. You may hear people talking in the bar and if you are realistic, relax and enjoy it as the murmurs of life.

Our room was just perfect for an inn steeping in 300 years of history. If you want character - then this is the place. Sure the bed was on a slight angle and the winding staircase to the room will not suit the less able (it really is not big deal but one review nearly put me off).

Quite simply - if you like history, character and accept that these things have their lovely quirks, then this is a great place. And £50 for the night plus a great full English breakfast included - what a bargain. And we got even more, our dinner had an offer of 2 main courses for £9.95 in total. The waitress was very sweet and helpful.

We enjoyed a nice walk around the village and in the hotel have a book on the history of 'pubs' in the area - basically a lot of the houses in the village were ale-houses.

A lovely place we will stay at again.
Monday, 20 Sept 2010

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Hinckley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

we had booked for 2 nights B&B through central reservations and had been allocated a double room with shower en suite. It wasn't a particularly big room and my wife prefers a bath so we asked for another room. Despite the hotel being very nearly full we were given a much larger room with a sizeable ensuite bathroom. One small criticism was the T.V reception is very poor.

Breakfasts at the Red Lion are exceptional; there is a wide choice and everything is freshly cooked.

We took our evening meals at the hotel. They offered two main meals for £9.95 with a wide range of starters and sweets. We can highly recommend the cod and chips - huge pices of cod (yes-proper cod!) all freshly cooked. The service is excellent and there is no pressure to buy expensive wine. IPA is £2.70 per pint which is excellent for a hotel.

Hotel is well situated on south side of Banbury - excellent for visiting Costwolds and Blenheim.

Will visit again. Highly recommended

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
bedworth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

My husband booked a one night stay for us through a special offer he saw in the newspaper £20.00 bed and breakfast. So we were not expecting much, boy were we suprised when we pulled up to this beautiful pub in a quaint villiage just a few miles away from Banbury.
We were checked in and welcomed by very polite and friendly staff with no problems.
Up a windy staircase we found our room which was a really good size with a sofa, and a new looking bathroom. We couldn't believe our look. The bed was a bit to soft for me but thats just my opinion. The room was decorated in keeping with the period of the building but had all mod cons.
We stayed there for our evening meal which wasn't out of this world but pretty good. There is also an offer in the restaurant for two meals for ten pounds which looked quite good with plenty of choice, but as we had only paid £20 bb we thought we would have steaks. This offer was available on Friday nights which was good.
The pub was bustling with people and diners but it had a lovely atmosphere and the waiting staff were very attentive.
The next morning we came down to a lovely breakfast, with the ususal choice of cooked breakfast and there was a vast selection of continental items and fruit to help yourself to.
Breakfast was just the right size for us not a gutbuster but not scrimping so no gripes there.
All in all we have no grumbles about the Red Lion at all and we were really pleased that we had basically had bed breakfast and evening meal and a couple of pints for £65.00.
If I was paying full price for the room I probably would not want to pay over £70.00 bb in my opinion.
For anybody who has walking difficulties, I would probably not reccomend as I dont think there is a lift, so I would check for access before you book.
This is a really lovely place with very polite and attentive staff who can't do enough for you. Hope this helps.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Red Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!