We stayed here because we were walking the Ridgeway and it was convenient. The building is very attractive with beautiful tiled roofs and it's in a pleasant street in a typical Chilterns small town. The food was excellent, well thought out and executed using local ingredients. If it had more than one vegetarian option I'd score it higher. The dining room was a nice room to eat in - eclectic with mismatched furniture. The staff, particularly a lovely woman with, I think a Scottish accent (sorry I didn't get her name) were uniformly helpful. The downside was the room (number 4). The rooms are in a converted barn in the yard. The decoration was ok with new furniture pretending to be old. The bathroom was small which isn't necessarily a problem but you had to squeeze past the toilet to get in an out of the bath. I'd be worried if if it was someone perhaps not very agile. And then there was a horrible red light in the ceiling (presumably a safety feature) but it was pretty bright. In addition the curtains were not designed to keep the light out which seems pretty essential for bedroom curtains but it's amazing how many hotels fall down on this. I am not a picky hotel stayer as those who've read my other reviews will know but they need to deal with this. So, public rooms really good. Bedrooms need some further thought. Food excellent.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Fat Fox Inn, formerly the Fox and Hounds, is a country pub with dining and accommodation in the village of Watlington on the northern edge of the Chilterns in Oxfordshire. The pub is easily accessed from the M40 at Lewknor. Watlington is only 15 miles from the heart of the City of Oxford and 35 minutes from Blenheim Palace and the Oxfordshire Cotswolds, as well as the Thameside town of Henley on Thames, home of the Royal Regatta. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Tingo, Expedia and Venere so you can book your The Fat Fox Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Fat Fox Hotel Watlington
- The Fat Fox Inn Watlington, Oxfordshire