“Smart B&B” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Abingdon, United Kingdom
“Smart B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

My daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed our 1 night stay and would have liked to stay longer. Lovely house, with very nice owners. Nice comfy beds so we had a good nights sleep and we had an excellent breakfast, would highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: We stayed in "Wookey" all 4 rooms are named after local tourist sites - lovely spacious ro...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

A very pleasant stay. The house is just beautiful with very nice garden around. The breakfast was very good, the hosts are exceptionally friendly.
We stayed with a toddler and we were provided a cot and a highchair, which was very helpful indeed

• Stayed August 2012
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I was looking for a place to stay near friends who live in Walton-in-Gordano, five miles away. I had a rental car, so transportation wasn't an issue. I found Hollybank Bed & Breakfast online at LateRooms.com and after reading the reviews I booked one night, a Sunday about ten days away. They have just four rooms, and as I was traveling alone, I was perfectly happy to book the twin bed room, which was £10 less than the three other rooms. I received a call from Kathy, the owner, the morning of the day I was going to arrive, wondering at what time I would arrive, and to tell me that she was upgrading me to one of the three larger rooms at no additional cost. How kind! I learned that I was going to be the only guest that night. I arrived about 3 pm and was met by Kathy and her husband John. The house is absolutely delightful, set in beautiful, well-groomed gardens. There is off street parking for all guests. The foyer is decorated with family photos (Kathy and John have a second marriage and have a blended family of grown children) and there is a beautiful gently curved staircase upto the rooms. I was shown a lovely room, very tastefully decorated in shades of blue, with a large white iron bed. The room had very high ceilings and was on a corner and had huge windows on two sides. There was a vanity sink and mirror in the room itself, and a very handsome and functional shower bathroom was created in one corner of the room (fully walled-off, of course) with a large shower with a hand held spray and a toilet. Large fluffy towels were hung there. A tea/coffee service was on a bureau and a flat screen tv was on a wall hung swivel bracket. There was a large wardrobe in one corner and a nice sitting area next to one window. A now decorative only fireplace added an attractive feature. Reading lamps on both sides of the bed added to comfort. They also offer free wifi everywhere in the house, something that I always look for and if it isn't offered, I tend to look elsewhere. I was given a key ring with a room key and the front door key so I could come and go as I wished. They said they would be out to dinner, as would I. Kathy showed me the attractive dining room for breakfast the next morning and asked me when I would like breakfast, which I appreciated. She offered just about the anything I wished the next morning. The bed was very comfortable. There was a nice selection of channels on the telly. The property is on a somewhat busy road and there was a small amount of road noise beginning about 7:30 Monday morning. There also is some intermittent noise from planes going to or from what I presume is Bristol Airport, certainly nothing they can control. I cannot think of anything else they could have offered to make my brief stay more comfortable. There are a couple of pubs in the village of Yatton just a short walk (or drive) away. I did peek at the other three rooms and while the twin room is small, it is fine. The other two rooms are large, like mine was. I believe they do have rollaway beds to allow a child to stay in the parents' room. I would gladly stay at Hollybank again if my travels take me back to that part of Somerset.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Hollybank B&B is a gorgeous house with high ceilings and massive rooms, which are all tastefully appointed, giving you a real sense of luxury. Breakfast is pretty much whatever you want from cereals to a full English and the lady of the house is very friendly and sociable.

I could really only find one fault with Hollybank and that is that the bed was too soft. I get back problems and therefore had an uncomfortable night. But if you don't mind a soft bed, I would heartily recommend this B&B!

Room Tip: All the rooms have double beds, except one, so if you're looking for twin beds, make sure to boo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Woolsery, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Four members of our family stayed here for a wedding this month. The rooms were spacious, beautifully decorated, clean, comfortable; excellent showers; warm welcome....and the food was wonderful. Kathy and John were friendly without being overwhelming; nothing was too much trouble for them; and they kindly looked after our luggage until we were ready to go home, while we took our relatives to the airport in our too-small car. We will certainly stay here again, no hesitation. It is without a doubt the best B and B we have ever used.

Room Tip: We had Watchet and Wookey. They were both excellent, Wookey especially having a superking bed.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Just returned from spending a weekend at Hollybank whilst in Yatton for a family occasion. I think it is the most beautiful period house set in immaculate grounds. First impressions are so important and this place ticks all the boxes. Kathy and John's hospitality and attention to detail cannot be faulted. I would certainly recommend this B&B for anyone wanting to stay in North Somerset (and it's handy for Bristol Airport!)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
sutton surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

As part of a recent end2end charity cycle ride ~ John O'Groats to Land's End ~ we opted to stay at Hollybank having been unable to find any alternative East of the Severn Crossing (M48) or South of the Brunel Clifton bridge. We arrived late (and wet!) and were immediatley made very welcome by John & Kathy ~ bikes were stored securely, wet clothes taken for overnight drying, shown to our very comfortable & impressive rooms, and advised as to local recommended eateries for dinner. The term B&B is hardly appropriate as the decor, furnishings, attention to detail, etc., are all worthy of five star hotels. I opted for the twin room (Porlock) and its own sumptious separate bathroom. After an exteremely welcome and comfortable night's sleep, breakfast (ahead of another long day in the saddle to Topsham) was equally excellent. For the neccessary calorie intake (we were burning 5400+ per day) we had had full cooked breakfasts for the last 11 days and taken to comparing them for quality quantity and presentation. This was the first where the scrambled eggs were presented from a mould, again worthy of an upmarket restaurant. Suffice it to say that this was the only B&B or Guest House in 14 nights where I photographed the hall, stairs, rooms & bathroom ~ a truly wow experience, and one I am very keen to repeat, with my wife, when we visit Bath. Even the heads up of the meze restaurant @ the ship & castle pub in Congresbury provided a superb meal. I would not hesitate to return or thoroughly recommend Hollybank for an overnight or longer stay

Room Tip: there are no good or bad rooms, all are excellent, comfortable, and in fine decorative order
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hollybank Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!